Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, please can someone advise me as to what route I should take.

I am going to ring VW tomorrow to see how much they can do the triangle alloys for, I'm assuming it's just the price in the brochure, but as we know, VW can change the brochure at any time!

Then I'm stuck with my alloys, having covered less than 500 miles.

Do I put winter tyres on them and use them in the winter, or sell them?

We dont have a garage, so would any spare wheels would have to live in my mums garage (where my nb wheels still are
) so not ideal

Every time someone posts a pic with the triangle alloys on, it just makes me want them more, Zumbaqueen putting the nail in my alloys coffin
Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Winters. Saves your triangles from the rubbish weather and if you've ever driven winters in the winter, you'll know why.

My steels with snowtrac3 tyres are tucked up all ready for the inclement weather.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, never changed tyres unless they were getting near the legal limit. I don't drive too far, so was wondering if it was worth my while. I do live in a village and the odd days we get bad snow is a bit of a nightmare, but if it's that bad I just don't go in to work.Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
If you have the option of just having a duvet day, then flog the alloys on eBay

Remember , winters are not just for snow, they work better and grip better than ordinary tyres at any temp below 7 Celsius....effectively oct til march here.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have absolutely no idea, they are £101 each from VW, but that's without the tyres.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Live in the South East so never thought I needed winter tyres for the amount of bad weather we have, but changing your wheels ?? don't follow be different, .........then again if its not right for you

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hmmm... I am quite warming to the Up Black alloys!! wanted the triangle ones initially, but not sure care now!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, it is silly. But I really do prefer the others. I did ask if I could change them before I got my up! but the dealer said it was too late

If I could have picked different wheels on the configurator when ordering I would have, but the up! Black didn't come up with different wheel options. At the time I ordered, I figured that I had already paid for the classic alloys, so why pay again!

·
Registered
421 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
Every time someone posts a pic with the triangle alloys on, it just makes me want them more, Zumbaqueen putting the nail in my alloys coffin
˜˜

Go with the triangle ones and put winter tyres on the ones you have, it's not just snow they protect you from like Privatedoc said it's pretty much everything under 7 degrees. If only I'd have been a few minutes earlier I'd have had his wheels.....

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Zumbaqueen, I'm sure there will be plenty of others upgrading to alloys, if I hear of more you'll get first shout.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keeping my classics, I think they give the car character!
However, I can completely understand as to why you'd want the triangles - especially as you've already got the black centre caps!!

Now I know that I run the risk of being slated here and I really don't intend to offend anyone but don't those triangle wheels look just a little floral? Just my opinion and I know the classics are not exactly butch!!

Those Upsilon wheels appear to suit the car nicely and create a sporty look!
..now I must stop looking or I'll start getting tempted!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Upsilon would be my second choice.

I have another option, put the classics on my daughters Lupo. But I would need another set of centre caps, the triangles are definitely coming with white centres aren't they? (the pic of the old green golf sporting the classics looked great)

Then I would need to sell the Lupo alloys!
I don't like selling things, I never know what to charge.

If anyone has a thought about how much I should/could ask for the classics I would be grateful to hear, if you're not comfortable posting it on here, pm me please. Thanks Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think they do a bit but still look great!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just been looking at your new ride Zumba and I agree that they do look great!
If I think about things differently, and imagine my car was born with the triangles, I certainly wouldn't be looking to change them for classics!

bugbabe, I'm not sure if I can help you decide on the right price for yours but I would probably advertise them for around £360 without the tyres as I'm sure they are still 'as new'. £360 undercuts the dealer price and might tempt an up with steel shoes to upgrade!
When the triangles turn up, I'd drive them to the local tyre centre and have the wheels swapped over and current tyres fitted to them at the same time.

Only problem with this is you need to store your classics while you wait for them to sell.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for your thoughts Matty

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rang VW today and they said the price hasn't changed for the alloys (good start) and they come with black centres (I'm impressed so far) BUT they are not in stock and until I cough up my £500 they cannot give me an estimated delivery date, could be weeks, could be months!

I don't mind paying for things in advance if they can tell me when I'm getting them! He advised leaving it a few weeks and ringing back just in case the system had been updated. I asked if I could order, pay and then if the delivery is taking wayyyyyyyy tooooooo looooooong cancel, nope can't do that!

So, no wheels for me just yet. Unless I try and find some other alternative.

When I double checked on the centre caps he said that the factory were clearly just putting on whatever they had to hand just to get the cars out and they should be black. He checked with two other people in th dealership and they all said the same, they should be black, the system and all the paperwork states black centres.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
421 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
Rang VW today and they said the price hasn't changed for the alloys (good start) and they come with black centres
The center caps only come in white on the triangle wheelsyou have to order the black ones that come in the catalogue, VW have said the black ones were only originally made for the classic wheels. They're waiting on black ones to be supplied - 68 on order waiting for the manuafacturer to supply to Germany.

I had a three way conversation with our dealer parts department and VW UK as I was going a bit loopy about them coming in white when I'd specifically said I wanted the black ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts