Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has already been covered by anyone, but when using my Maps & More with a bluetooth connection to listen to music, my i-Phone 4s occassionally drops its sound for a second or two, which is increasingly getting to be an irritation, and the auxiliary input involves a lead plus an additional lead for the charger in the cigar lighter, so i have decided to try the micro sd card routeto store and play my music.
I have today ordered a 32Gb micro sd card, are there any instructions i should follow to easily transfer all my i-Tunes music to the micro sd card, it may be a simple operation, but i have a feeling the transfer from i-Tunes to a micro sd card for maps & more is not going to be as straightforward as i hoped it might be. Any advice would be appreciated, as i'm sure this will crop up with other i-Phone/i-Tune users wanting to use the maps & more micro sd slot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The answer is that it depends.

If your iTunes music is already in MP3 format then you can drag and drop from the hard drive to the SD card and it should just work.

However if the default option has not been changed to RIP CD's to MP3 or most of your music was purchased off the iTunes store you need to convert it.

You can tight click on a track / group of tracks in iTunes and say convert to MP3, but its a bot messy in that it always duplicates the tracks so you end up with 2 entries and you have to tidy it up again by hand.

If there is a resident expert on iTunes on the Forum who can improve my understanding of this please help

·
Registered
655 Posts
How to do it from a Macbook Pro would be useful for all Mac fans

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you use iTunes to manage your music:

1) Make a folder called 'Music' on the root of the M+M memory card.
2) Navigate to your iTunes music folder located at -

Mac OS X:  /Users/username/Music/iTunes/
Windows XP:  C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
Windows Vista:  C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\
Windows 7:  C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\

3) Within this folder will be separate folders that share the artists names from your music collection. Drag and drop the folders of the artist you want into the 'Music' folder of you M+M memory card.

4) Whenever you get a new album, manage it in iTunes as usual, then navigate to you iTunes music folder and drop that artists folder into you M+M 'Music' folder to update it!

Note: Use iTunes to convert any AAC or iTunes audio tracks to MP3s as detailed in post above, once copied to you M+M use spotlight on Mac, or search on Windows to find the duplicates and delete if you don't want both versions! Be sure to eject the M+M card first, so you don't delete those files thinking they are duplicates too :p

Hope that helps!
Edited by: Lovejimbo

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
if its anything like the sd card i have in my current car itll be easy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, hopefully we can elaborate on this if anyone encounters a problem when transferring, once my micro sd card arrives, i will follow your instructions and let you know how things progressed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I thought M&M supports AAC as long as the file is not an older DRM file which Apple dropped a couple of years ago?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just hoping that is correct as have already copied my music to an micro sd card but haven't got the car yet :)

Excited...? Me...? :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
From the M+M User Guide :

12.2.1 Supported audio files
You can control the play back of audio CDs which have been inserted in the CD player of the navigation device. Also, you can play back audio files in the following formats:
MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis, AAC, FLAC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very happy to hear I won't have to convert my gigs of AAC files to MP3 :)

In order to use all the features (metadata and album covers), should I use a particular directory format?

iTunes stores covers in
Code:
~/Music/iTunes/Album\ Artwork/Download/676C30DEBD6E59BB/00/00/04/676C30DEBD6E59BB-EEF39C484FF94400.itc
There is no obvious match between the numbered directory structure and the more human readable layout of the albums themselves e.g.
Code:
~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Skream/Skream\!/02\ Midnight\ Request\ Line.m4a
No obvious link in the Library metadata XML
Code:
    <key>10287</key> 
    <dict> 
      <key>Track ID</key><integer>10287</integer> 
      <key>Name</key><string>Midnight Request Line</string> 
      <key>Artist</key><string>Skream</string> 
      <key>Album Artist</key><string>Skream</string> 
      <key>Composer</key><string>O. Jones</string> 
      <key>Album</key><string>Skream!</string> 
      <key>Genre</key><string>Electronic</string> 
      <key>Kind</key><string>Purchased AAC audio file</string> 
      <key>Size</key><integer>8357144</integer> 
      <key>Total Time</key><integer>236434</integer> 
      <key>Disc Number</key><integer>1</integer> 
      <key>Disc Count</key><integer>1</integer> 
      <key>Track Number</key><integer>2</integer> 
      <key>Track Count</key><integer>13</integer> 
      <key>Year</key><integer>2006</integer> 
      <key>Date Modified</key><date>2011-05-07T09:13:56Z</date> 
      <key>Date Added</key><date>2011-05-07T09:12:34Z</date> 
      <key>Bit Rate</key><integer>256</integer> 
      <key>Sample Rate</key><integer>44100</integer> 
      <key>Release Date</key><date>2006-10-30T08:00:00Z</date> 
      <key>Artwork Count</key><integer>1</integer> 
      <key>Persistent ID</key><string>6CED12D1E9D5617A</string> 
      <key>Track Type</key><string>File</string> 
      <key>Purchased</key><true/> 
      <key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/dof/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Skream/Skream!/02%20Midnight%20Request%20Line.m4a</string> 
      <key>File Folder Count</key><integer>4</integer> 
      <key>Library Folder Count</key><integer>1</integer> 
    </dict> 
    <key>10289</key>

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I followed these instructions when I got my 32gb card and it worked a treat. Played all my files and they weren't all the same

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
There is a free app for macs called. All2mp3. Drag and drop conversion, v quick and solves all the probs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts