Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my 75PS up, i find it shifts so well - even with the weight of a passenger - that i no longer yearn for a GT. Instead, i shall enjoy what i have and remind myself that £20 annual RFL and 50mpg+ is just awesome!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Until the gt comes out

·
Registered
251 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Until the gt comes out
Yeah exactly. Come on, 75hp doesn't cut it really. Even the GT should get 125hp+ IMO. The gear change is slick, I'll grant you that, though mine does balk completely when I try reverse on a cold start.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think bhp is a false measure. It tends to max at 6-7k rpm and who spins their engine at that speed? For non-F1 drivers, it's all about torque and there have been many posts on this forum from people who have found other cars such as the 1.2 Corsa to be significantly more feeble than the up. I find the 75 up performs very well in real world driving conditions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
AlanG said:
I find the 75 up performs very well in real world driving conditions.
Yes, I agree, and that's why I bought mine... but I'd still like another 50hp and 200Nm

·
Registered
17 Posts
UpMan said:
AlanG said:
I find the 75 up performs very well in real world driving conditions.
Yes, I agree, and that's why I bought mine... but I'd still like another 50hp and 200Nm

I just got rid of an st220 estate, 250bhp 3L V6, 156mph and an awesome sound from the exhaust,unfortunatly about two tons of car and 18mpg couple that with £280 road tax and £40 per month insurance,it only liked 98 ron super unleaded from shell,and you have a lot of money going out every week.

Since getting my up and finding the little sweet spots in third etc and using the revs in the right way to suit the engine i reckon on the country roads there isn't much in it, and round town the up has it.

Big is not always beautiful.

20 gallons in st = approx 500 miles,you do the maths.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Whenever I think I should have waited for the GT I'm reminded that I can leave the Groove at home and go for a blast in the V10 RS6 mtm.Just for fun, the stats;
730 bhp, 214mph, 3.5 to 60, 2.1 tonnes, 14mpg average, £490 road tax, £30 per month insurance

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'm rapidly coming round to the thought of a 'toy' for fun bought with the savings the up produces!.....caterham?..

·
Registered
45 Posts
You could nip across to Crail in a toy like the Caterham or Elise and satisfy any lust for speed

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Yes but can get built one too from factory

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So would that give you a wider choice of engine/gearbox/diff options than you would normally get with a mainstream manufacturer?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Indeed....but so impractical, purely a toy!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Have just caught up on the thread here, being a mere woman who has in the last couple of years gone it a lone, but thanks to late husband directed me about cars and there workings, I'm not perfect in it :) love my UP! But there has been so many times when I wished I'd had my polo witha little bit bigger engine, my son has 2011 gti (to me rocket)

I would really love my UP! But with just that bit more power, and after reading some posts can't quiet make out what roads they travel on.
I have been going from Bromley kent to whitstable kent and there are a few dragging hills even on motorway, and if I have had something slow in front then I've been stuffed
and have to say I am not a slow driver.
So my only reason in trading in would be power.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mumski1 said:
Have just caught up on the thread here, being a mere woman who has in the last couple of years gone it a lone, but thanks to late husband directed me about cars and there workings, I'm not perfect in it :) love my UP! But there has been so many times when I wished I'd had my polo witha little bit bigger engine, my son has 2011 gti (to me rocket)

I would really love my UP! But with just that bit more power, and after reading some posts can't quiet make out what roads they travel on.
I have been going from Bromley kent to whitstable kent and there are a few dragging hills even on motorway, and if I have had something slow in front then I've been stuffed
and have to say I am not a slow driver.
So my only reason in trading in would be power.
I agree, people have posted that the UP is an adequate motorway vehicle but it's much better suited around town and on shorter commutes. It's just not the right car for frequent motorway journeys, not enough power or comfort.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
I agree, people have posted that the UP is an adequate motorway vehicle but it's much better suited around town and on shorter commutes. It's just not the right car for frequent motorway journeys, not enough power or comfort.
I disagree ...

My Lupo had 50 BHP ...
My Kawasaki Estrella has 17 BHP ...
The 60 BHP high up! is the "strongest" car I ever had.

It is no matter of power - it is a matter of attitude ...

Happyness and contentment are no matter of power. If you are discontent inside, even a Porsche won't satisfy you. Contentment comes from inside and to my mind, 60 BHP are enough for motorways.

With my Kawa Estrella I have more problems on B roads with 45 mph (common speed limit in Germany) or winding roads without limit (60 mph in Germany). Then the 17 BHP are not enough to overtake "idiots" on their "Sunday drive" (as we call it in Germany) ...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I must admit I'm bitterly disappointed that my Up! fails to achieve 60 MPH in 5.6 seconds. Had I known this before I bought it I may well have not got one. It's a lesson to learn that it is a good idea to check that the car you are looking at will provide the performance you desire. Having said that after a little over eighteen months of driving in towns, on country roads, dual carriageways and motorways, on short and long journeys I have not been disappointed or embarrassed by its performance. Of course it's not as nippy as the BMW I traded in for it but I must say on dual carriageways and motorways I seem to be overtaking more vehicles than those that overtake me.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mee too....if its excitement you are after, spend the same as a take up on a motorbike! (we docs call owners of these donors....not because bikes are dangerous, they are not!...its the numpties that bump into them!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've driven the UP! a few times on motorways and it's handled them just fine. Even been in the outside lane for a bit overtaking slow moving lorries and I didn't hold anyone up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts