Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If VW had not launched the Up what would you be buying instead or would you have simply stuck with your current car?

We were considering either a nearly new Fiesta or a nearly new Kia Picanto until we test drove the Up. So glad we did
I don't normally buy brand new cars but in this case it feels like the right thing

·
Registered
619 Posts
I would have liked to buy a Polo butit was too expensive for the specification (engine) I liked.

My next choice was a Skoda Fabia - I could get the VW 1.2 100bhp engine in this one a bit cheaper - but, I don't know, it still seemed a bit expensive.

Next, Fiat 500 - local dealer very poor and I'm reluctant to buy another car from this manufacturer (last one was an Alfa Romeo 156 - money pit).

In the end I was going to keep my current Renault Cliobut really liked the look of the Up!. It took me a while to make up my mind to buy one though - myClio hasbeencheap to run and reliable over the last 4.5 years.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Incidentally, the Fiat dealership, where I purchased my 156,charged £89 per hour for any work done (this was ten years ago). Every time I had the car in at the garage, it always cost a minimum of £200 - it was in the garage a lot.

The final straw was an estimate of £1300+ for a service, cam belt change plus new front brake disks. This does not seem too bad now but ten years ago it seemed a hugeamount of money. Needless to say, I was not amused and traded the car in for a Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
We needed a second cheap run about. I hated the fox, and someone at work wanted to buy my other golf. My pure chance, when I looked at the VW website a second time, there was the Up! Love at first sight...
I really don't know what I would have gone for if not. All the other city cars look a bit to much fairground attractions for my liking. I like the straight forward design of the up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My daughter has always wanted a fiat 500 in red until she saw the Up! I wouldnt have gone for a Fiat as like many of you have said not very good dealership. Propably have gone for Clio as never had any problems with the one we used to have.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It amazes me why anyone buys a 500. Granted it may look good, but you sit on it, rather than in it and as a driving experience it isn't perfect. Only its Italian cheek lets it get away with its shortcomings.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i was looking into getting a second hand polo or seat ibeza, or maybe a mini, but in the end i just couldnt resist the up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts