Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, seems there are indeed lots of rumours about the GT being scrapped...if so, what is on your shortlist.

Here is mine....I know there are wildly differing vehicles but we'd be keeping the 2 'whites' too

Golf Cabrio Diesel......economical and 'extra fun factor'
Fiesta or Focust ST.....power for pounds
polo Gti......bit of class
Honda CR-Z......whacky off-the-wall choice

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Mine would be to get a up! Black (I know it will have to be second hand) so I can do the mods I want to do! I'd love to have a golf mk5 r32 I dream of owning that but cant justify the costs lol other than that a golf mk6 gttdi not keen on the new golf at all

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting thread and something I've thought about far too much over the last few months

The UP GT was on the top of my shortlist but also I've been considering 3 other cars

Polo Blue GT : I have a friend with the GTi and his oil consumption issues put me off that engine but the GT intrigues me due to the clever technology with dropping 2 cylinders when on part load. Good mpg and reasonable performance but spec it up the way I want it and it's £19k which seems steep, especially compared to the A1 equivalent. It's also quite heavy and I'm a big fan of light cars.

Fiesta ST : Hard to ignore this car at the moment, great reviews (try find a bad one !), lightweight, pretty quick and great value. The only thing putting me off is I'm too old for it as it's obviously marketed at 20 somethings.

now the curveball and the car I'm actually just about to put a deposit on....

i3 (don't laugh !) : Carbon frame, aluminium chassis, RWD, 170hp, 0-70 in 7s, instant max torque from standstill, weight of 1195kg. OK it's a bit odd looking, it's got an electric motor and it's range is limited to 100 miles (180 with the extender) but I can cope fine with that, it suits me well.

You can say the i3 shouldn't be on the same list as an UP GT due to it's price and I can't disagree but, for me, the UP GT was never about it being a cheap car it was because I thought (think?) it'll be a great car to drive. Besides, with the i3 you currently get a £5k 'plug-in' grant from the government and if you own your own LTD company you get very good tax incentives too (100% capital write down and zerok BIK). With no road tax and the fact that fuel costs are about 15% petrol/diesel then it's not as crazy expensive as you first think, especially if you do lots of miles and are prepared to keep the car for a few years which I always do.

Like I say, I put a big importance on vehicle weight and I think it's been undervalued but people are coming round to it now. Anyone who's driven a car under 1000kg will know what I'm on about, it's one reason I love the VW UP so much. The i3 manufacturing process has put low weight right at the top of it's agenda so I think it's going to be pretty entertaining to drive and it's certainly a nice place to sit as the interior is ace, again similar to the UP with the Maps and More ripoff

·
Registered
851 Posts
Fiesta Zetec S 1litre, 3 pot with engine output going up from the already brilliant 125PS to 130s. Buy it from Drive The Deal for the bargain of the century.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I looked up a few motors on Drive the deal

Yes, zetec s fiesta appears great value at 11k ish

However...for me (and the space would be handy) a Focus ST3 (with leather etc etc etc etc etc ) at a smidge under 20k seems rather attractive !

·
Registered
7 Posts
All of the suggestions are larger than the Up 4m or more instead of 3.5m - the only cars that seem similar in size would be the MINI Cooper S or Abarth 500s. Can't think of any others in that size. Are there any other "pocket rockets"?

I was toying with the Fiesta but when I had a chance to have a good look at on my first thought was that the new nose looks like the Muppet backing singers in the Mahna Mahna song.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I test drove the Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost and the Up (Black). The Fiesta is a brilliant car, better handling and obviously quicker than the up! I loved it. But we were looking for a car all the family would enjoy; we have 3 kids, 13-16 who will be learning to drive soon, and the up! is cuter, better quality and much cheaper to run. I liked the up! enough to let the kids have the final say and they all said up! (White) I'll get a Fiesta ST when I don't need a 5-seater family car as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All other cars mentioned above interest me, except the Abarth 500. The i3 will probably be superb, but it can only be a second car until the infrastructure improves, so will be too expensive. If I could cope with the range I'd be interested. In the meantime my BMW F800ST provides cheap transport (and free parking) for commuting, but for the first time in years I'm thinking of using a car through winter as I'll have an up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Price is relevant but with a GT projected to be around 15k, I don't think the cars mentioned are too far off the mark....drive the deal can do a Focus St1 for 17k and that is a whole different kettle of potatoes!

The thread is looking at GT alternatives, not entry model super economical cars.

HOWEVER and it is a big however....running costs are quickly being lost sight of with the above mentioned vehicles....
That's why our GT/Whatever will be in addition to the two fabulous ups!

A 20k 911 becomes a 25k 911 as soon as it is service time in my experience!

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about a Mazda MX5 if you do not need the seats. You can get £4000 discount from the internet brokers. The Fiesta ST is a good car,but looks too much like the standard car even inside.
You could get a used Jaguar XF,BMW 3 series,or Mercedes C Class,but of course they would be more expensive to run. A new Smart Brabus has everything on it and does 0-60 in 8.5 seconds.

A Mini One/Cooper and the Abarth 500 are still excellent cars.The problem is there is too much choice these days.lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For me (as a 23 year old currently with a little Suzuki Alto) I'll be looking around the Renualt Twingo Sport Cup or Abarth 500 areas. As stated, a BMW/Porshe/Merc/Audi probably isn't the best for me on the insurance front :p

·
Registered
677 Posts
As some of you may have seen I am jumping off the Up! Ship soon. I was holding out for the GT but I am extremely impatient. So I've gone for an A1 1.6 TDI S line. Always wanted an A1 plus 70mpg and great performance, it's a no brainer for me. Wanted to stick with the VAG group, had a look at a Seat Ibiza FR too, and the Polo R Line, however the mpg and road tax and my insurance was off putting. I'm happy with my choice, and I can't wait for next month to pick it up :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Craig200588 said:
As some of you may have seen I am jumping off the Up! Ship soon. I was holding out for the GT but I am extremely impatient. So I've gone for an A1 1.6 TDI S line. Always wanted an A1 plus 70mpg and great performance, it's a no brainer for me. Wanted to stick with the VAG group, had a look at a Seat Ibiza FR too, and the Polo R Line, however the mpg and road tax and my insurance was off putting. I'm happy with my choice, and I can't wait for next month to pick it up :)
You could always put a club sticker on the back to confuse people... :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
With Renaultsport's heritage that should be good; hope they don't soften it as they seem to have done with the Clio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
uppy said:
Like I say, I put a big importance on vehicle weight and I think it's been undervalued but people are coming round to it now. Anyone who's driven a car under 1000kg will know what I'm on about, it's one reason I love the VW UP so much.

Totally agree... I started off with a Peugeot 106 Rallye, makes so much sense that the editor of Evo Magazine bought one, I then moved on to a Clio 172 Cup.

In fact, I mentioned on another thread that they should make an up GTI. A stripped-out GT with no extras and perhaps a firmer suspension.

Back on topic: I'm thinking of going for an UP and making my own GT.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts