Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In recent days, purely by chance, I've begun to consider a complete change.

I should begin by explaining that my main reason for seeking a change of vehicle is due to the fact that, over the past week, it has taken just three relatively chilly evenings to fully exasperate my frustration towards the poor ventilation afforded to the UP!

Having previously owned an Audi A4 and Seat Toledo, with these vehicles, I'd never encountered the same problem, with misting of the windows, that I have with the UP! I didn't even experience an issue, demisting in winter, with a Mercedes A-Class that I owned.

From my experience, over the past week, driving the UP! in relatively cold conditions (not freezing) has become down-right dangerous. Even after the front windscreen has de-misted sufficiently, allowing one to see the road ahead, the rear quarter windows remain fogged up, thus obscuring the view of one's blind-spot when joining and exiting dual carriageways/motorways.

Most notably and worrying after starting the engine of our Up! on Thursday morning, my wife directed the airflow towards the windscreen, in addition to turning on the heated seats, before she set about removing the thin layer of frost from the car windows.

The windows were clear as she pulled off the drive, remaining clear, until she was on the A1 at which point they decided to fog up, roughly ten minutes into her journey. Upon her return home, later that evening, she used a few choice words as she described her ordeal at the wheel of the UP!

Moreover, this is my second winter of UP! ownership and I certainly do not remember experiencing the same problem last winter. Granted, last winter, here in the UK, we didn't experience the levels of snowfall than in previous years, yet we still endured cold mornings and evenings.

On Friday evening, while browsing current deals on the website of a local dealership, which holds franchises for several marques, in search of another vehicle with a better heating and ventilation system, I stumbled upon the Renault Zoe.

Yes, not only am I considering a change from German to French, I'm also considering changing from conventional to electric.

In addition to the financial figures making sense, based on its price, my monthly mileage and the money I'd save by not filling the tank, further research into the Zoe has also led me to understand that it's possible, when the vehicle is on charge, to either heat or cool the interior of the vehicle shortly before entering, something that would prove ideal in the months ahead.

As such, I'm giving serious consideration to gifting myself a Christmas present, since I've grown tired of the UP! and its short-comings.

Granted, people may ask: ""˜What do you expect from a vehicle in the price-bracket in which the UP! is placed?""�

My answer is thus: ""A vehicle that does not place its driver/passengers in unnecessary danger or harm. I'd happily take a more comprehensive heating and ventilation over the gimmicks VW have chosen to employ in their manufacture of the UP!""�

I could go on, continuing to draw attention to the host of penny pinching saving features that are absent from the UP! yet available on other vehicles in the same class in which the UP! is placed.

Sadly, as mentioned in previous posts, I suspect that, in time, the UP will suffer a similar fate to that of the Lupo and the Fox, particularly since I can pay less for a more expensive car, in the Renault Zoe, than I'm currently paying for my UP! and receive far more kit in the process.

In my opinion, VW, which is becoming more increasingly conservative (bordering on boring) in the styling of its vehicles, can no longer rely upon its badge to produce sales, particularly at the lower end of the market, in particular those who they wish to tempt to the brand.

If VW want to charge more at the lower end of the market, they have to offer something more, particularly since VW offers are rarely as generous as those offered by other manufacturers.

For example, I see far more Vauxhall Adams and Hyundai I10s on the road than I see VW Ups.

Even moving up a class, the prospect of glancing at a new Ford Fiesta or Renault Clio parked upon one's drive looks and sounds more appealing than glancing out, towards VW's current Polo offering.

Again, I accept that appearances are subjective but having long been a fan of VAG marques, for their build quality and styling, I firmly believe that the firm has lost its way when it comes to vehicle styling, compared to what one's money can buy them nowadays; even the styling of the Seat range looks positively sedate to models of yester-year.

Fourteen months into ownership, I can honestly say that I've made a mistake in choosing the VW UP! since it has fallen well short of my expectations in what I've come to expect from VAG group, largely due to the economic measures applied in the manufacture of its interior, thus preventing one from achieving the levels of comfort expected of the brand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I too have looked at the Zoe, as you say, perfect a you can preheat / defrost the car while it is sat on the drive plugged in while you are still having your breakfast, but without the dangers of leaving a conventional car with the engine running!!!

If not a change of car, I wish there was a forum for the triplets that you don't get told you are wrong if you happen to have an issue with your car....... Sorry I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet today...

Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Alan. I guess it was me that put the bee in your bonnet! I apologise if my comments sometimes appear flippant and unhelpful or argumentative. After nearly fifty years of fighting spurious claims and counter claims old habits die hard especially over issues for which I genuinely do not have a problem. I also must admit that issues such as it takes a few minutes to clear the windscreen or the window switch is not illuminated pale into insignificance when compared to wider issues relating to health and welfare for which having a sense of humour helps. I know that's no excuse but perhaps partly an explanation. For some the glass is always half empty and for others half full. I don't wish to imply that anyone is wrong but just show the other side of the coin. Sorry once again if I have caused offence.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beevee

Sorry for my hot head today, yes there are two sides & today I was not looking at the more positive one. Offence wasn't caused, but it would appear the the triplets prefer to be garaged parked so if that is what happens to yours then I appreciate you may not understand the frustration. Also if it was a max of 5 mins to clear the windows in extreme conditions would be fine, up to nearly 10 mins when it is 8c outside worries me what it will be like when it is colder and wet.

Ours may be exasperated by the fact our drive slopes so maybe allowing water to collect where it wouldn't if the car was parked on the flat, but as the diagnosis was no fault found, but 2 hours in the bodyshop oven on a just over a year old car is a pain, & I can't see the dealer being able to justify doing it as goodwill with every service.

Miserable Git's experience follows ours exactly that the first winter is fine & earlier this year was very wet & there were not the same issues adds to my thoughts that it is a gradual build up of small amounts of water cause issues by the second winter only alleviated by a spell in the oven & a very specific routine of shutting off the a/c before the end of each journey. Nothing that has been an issue in the 20 plus other cars we have owned between us since the mid 90's.

Granted not a life changing issue, but annoying all the same.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Alan. Thanks for the explanation. I have to say this is my second winter and I have no garage. This evening returning to the park and ride after eight hours with a temperature of four degrees it took two minutes for the screen to clear. It was clear when I opened the door but misted up after we got in presumably because of our bodies and breath. To me that seems acceptable? Happy motoring.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beevee, one thing I have noticed is that your car (with perfectly acceptable demisting) is a 5 door with 2 extra door apertures & opening rear windows which granted are usually closed but between the doors & windows it may allow a little more air to pass through the car than a 3 door one with sealed rear windows & no rear door apertures.

Both mine and Miserable Git's (wish I knew a real name so I didn't have to use that name to refer to him!!) are 3 doors, it could be the little difference that allow the car to ventilate to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My up is a five door and I too have had no issues with the speed of delisting or deicing on cold mornings, in fact so far it's the best car that I have driven for these issues. My car is never in a garage but is slighly sheltered by a 5 fy wall sometimes. It's my first winter with the up do its early days but so far I'm happy. I leave for work at 7 am so it's still very cold and dark when I set off in the mornings. I hope that I don't jinx myself by my positive comments!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Never gave that a thought Alan but you may be right. I see you have started a survey on another thread. It will be interesting to see the result.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beevee said:
Never gave that a thought Alan but you may be right. I see you have started a survey on another thread. It will be interesting to see the result.

Not sure if it will help or even if it is conclusive if VW Et al will do anything about it, but at least it may partially explain the disparity in different people's cars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Good Evening Gentlemen. mii al, if you look on Miserable Git's profile you will see his real name, although he obliviously want's to be know as M G.

As you can see, my Up is a 5 door, and I must admit I have only opened the rear door windows once, just to make sure they did open, and as you must have previously know, with me, I have no great issues with demisting.

I am rather enjoying this thread, and learning from my forum friends.

If we could all discussing over a meal or a pint, then we could all see each others expressions...but on line...we have to make do with word of mouth. Sometimes we get it wrong because we are missing one vital aid to communication, Sight. Some of us "banter" by nature, and perceived humour, can sometimes seem offensive or inappropriate to the current topic. I believe that those of us who do that are in no way intending to cause offence.

Keep up the intelligent and informative input folks, I for one enjoy it!

Go well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Night Owl said:
Good Evening Gentlemen. mii al, if you look on Miserable Git's profile you will see his real name, although he obliviously want's to be know as M G.

As you can see, my Up is a 5 door, and I must admit I have only opened the rear door windows once, just to make sure they did open, and as you must have previously know, with me, I have no great issues with demisting.

I am rather enjoying this thread, and learning from my forum friends.

If we could all discussing over a meal or a pint, then we could all see each others expressions...but on line...we have to make do with word of mouth. Sometimes we get it wrong because we are missing one vital aid to communication, Sight. Some of us "banter" by nature, and perceived humour, can sometimes seem offensive or inappropriate to the current topic. I believe that those of us who do that are in no way intending to cause offence.

Keep up the intelligent and informative input folks, I for one enjoy it!

Go well.

I wholeheartedly agree about your point that face to face allows expressions to be read which is not possible online. Emoticons are one possibility, but often could give the wrong meaning too. I sure most of the banter I have at work would be taken the wrong way if written down without the sensation of tone & expression. Also written down would be a permanent record so I better keep the banter face to face...

I will try and remember in future

Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
448 Posts
Keep your Banter going my friend. It is written down, but as long as you are truthful in what you say and believe, then you have given your honest opinion. We are, after all, just a Forum for cars that we have all bought, like them or not. We give our opinions to try and help others.

Just to Stir it Up.... my Up is great. no issues what-so-ever.

Go well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just to add I don't have demisting problems and my car is parked outside on a sloping drive overnight (0 degrees this morning!). However.... the million dollar question (it seems)? It's a 5-dr.

Maybe we're a bit closer to finding the smoking gun...

·
Registered
957 Posts
My 5 door steams up like everyone else's but I must admit a few minutes with the aircon and heater and it's sorted.You can change to another car and that will have its own set of problems especially if it's a small city car.

Miserable Git : If you want an honest opinion of the Renault Zoe pm SuperMegaMonkee who recently sold his Up and bought a Zoe ( I bought his winter tyres and wheels).

If I had to pick on one feature of my Up that I am disappointed with it would be the gearbox, when cold it rattles and clonks but gets better when it's warm. As long as it lasts the life of the car I don't really mind as overall it's a great little car.

Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ours is a five door and demisting IS a problem, even when you have cleared the screen and front windows the rear door windows remain steamed up. However, the gearbox is great and has never given us a problem.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My gearbox does not give me any problems it just rattles and Clonks mainly when cold.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I asked my wife about our five door Mii having any problems with steaming up. She says it's fine and demists
ok. The gearbox only ever grinds when going into reverse, and even then it's only now and again and very minor. Nothing to worry about. It's a cheap city car, not a jag so we can live with it for the next 10 years as it makes tons of sense.

·
Registered
251 Posts
There are a fair few Zoe's here in France for obvious reasons, but local feedback is not always very positive, and take-up has been disappointing overall. The main complaint seems to be that the car's range ties it to the city, while it's size puts it in the medium hatchback category.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts