Up Owners Club banner

I'm thinking of selling my UP!

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Leif 
#1 ·
Changed from POLO 1.4 to Move UP! Black,alloys,sunroof and sound pack,and after driving for a couple of months have to say that yes its lovely and nice to drive and all the other good comments. BUT it just does not feel the same as my polo (maybe a woman thing) I tend to dither before pulling away at junctions as know I don;t have that extra power (and this is not how I would drive).
Have folded the seats down as shopping,and a corgi but they are never put up and at first this felt good but now I am fed up of them always down,plus hard work lifting dog in the back pulling one seat up and clipping in to seat belt.

SO am going off to the garage again Saturday to tesy drive a Polo that I know and then make a decision.

#3 ·
An an Up! is a smaller car and not as practical, but then it is what it is a small economical car. On the test drive when pulling onto a dual carriageway it felt like it had nothing TBH. But then I am use to driving a 208Bhp turbo petrol so 60Bhp will feel a little tardy but using more revs was impressed with how it picked up and went.

See how you get on, I will say I bet you find the Polo does not drive quite as well especially the steering feel. But if you need a bigger boot and the poor dog is having to be a contortionist a bigger car is probably a sensible option.

#4 ·
I'm waiting for my week 36 order so I can't comment on ownership. However, I'm quite into motorhomes and I'm aware that many buy them before they try them and within a couple of weeks of ownership, they realise that the layout just doesn't work for them and take it back to the dealer hoping to exchange it for another motorhome. What they haven't factored in is just driving it away from the dealer knocked £10K off its value and are hugely shocked by the dealer's low buy-back offer. I hope this doesn't happen to you!Edited by: AlanG

#6 ·
Thank you for your comments and the pulling onto dual carridge way was really helpful.Sooo this morning out I went, found my no speed cam road and gave it some stick, down to the dual carriage way raised the revs perfect !! I think its all about learning how to make the most of what its got and am pleaesed to say I am keeping my baby.
I know what your all thinking !!!

#7 ·
Way-Hey.......Right choice!

I must admit, give it some welly and I'm amazed how willing the wee engine is. (the GT will be an absolute hoot I reckon)

#8 ·
It's great that you have decided to keep your car! I think, in general,you have to take time to explore fully whata new carcan do and how to get the best out of it, as with most things.

As for practicality, it either works for you or it does not...

#9 ·
When I took the Up! out for a testdrive a few month back it was almost instantly clear to me that you had to rev the engine a bit to make it drive. Below 3000 rpm there is almost no torq available but once you know that it's joy to drive. For me it is one of the best engines in that segment!

I'm glad you decided to keep it

Edited by: GunSpeed

#11 ·
Mumski1 said:
Changed from POLO 1.4 to Move UP! Black,alloys,sunroof and sound pack,and after driving for a couple of months have to say that yes its lovely and nice to drive and all the other good comments. BUT it just does not feel the same as my polo (maybe a woman thing) I tend to dither before pulling away at junctions as know I don;t have that extra power (and this is not how I would drive). 
Have folded the seats down as shopping,and a corgi but they are never put up and at first this felt good but now I am fed up of them always down,plus hard work lifting dog in the back pulling one seat up and clipping in to seat belt.

SO am going off to the garage again Saturday to tesy drive a Polo that I know and then make a decision.
Let us know how your views adapt over the coming weeks!

Edited by: AlanG

#12 ·
glad to hear you are now keeping it, i think it is all about learning how to use the power that it has, i thought that it would change my driving, also going from a 1.4polo to an up, but infact i almost feel like i have more umph to pull away now i have gotten used to how to drive it.

must say tho, i do sometime spin the wheels a little when im trying to get too much power out of her! oops!

#13 ·
if you want to try slug-like try an automatic Merc A-class A160 diesel...same piower as up but twice the weight......SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

0-60 over the bank holiday !

Mrs couldn't believe how nippy the up felt compared to it.

Edited by: Privatedoc

#14 ·
Pah that is nothing. One of the slowest vehicles with wheels and an MOT was the 850 mini automatic. There could only have been three ever sold. My mate had one.

#16 ·
My Auntie Marjorie had a slurry green Mini automatic in the 1970s. It didn't matter about top speed or acceleration as she lived on Guernsey where the maximum is 35 mph.

Nick

#17 ·
Have to say ours is a nippy little car - very impressed with how it whizzes about.

Fuel economy living up to expectations ie nowhere near as good as VW say - we have had the same experience with all the new cars we have had.

We are 49 (wife) and 56 and do not drive like idiots but we do like to 'drive' a car if you know what I mean.

First moderate distance run to Liverpool and back today gave my wife just over 50mpg with about 30 miles town/city driving and 110 on the M-Track cruising at 80-90.

I'm ok with that tbh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.