Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it was worth mentioning my experience of an Inchcape VW Dealership when buying a new up, for those who are thinking of ordering, and maybe your first time buying a brand new car.

When I'd decided on the car that I wanted, I went back in to the dealership to discuss price and place an order etc, I was shown a video of Gardx paint protection and how it could resist fire (wow!) then the sales guy talked for ages about the different packages they offer, wheel damage/tyre insurance, accidental damage cover(?) etc. etc. then I was given a confusing document that had an inflated price for the car including some of said packages, and a monthly finance cost.. After telling them that I didn't want any of these cover options and wanted to talk discounts, they reprinted the document, but it was still overpriced, £500 was listed as dealer accessories. This turned out to be Gardx paint protection, which they said is 'applied to all their cars and isn't optional'! So they are moving the goal posts on what should be the on the road price you see on the price list. So I negotiated the price down to not pay for the Gardx, and £300 off list price. If it had not been for the fact they were transferring the car I wanted from another dealership at their cost (£300 they said) I think I would of gone elsewhere to see if I could of got a better discount.

Their excuse was, "sorry sir, it was the software migrating the wrong price"

So in a nutshell, be ready for the salesman trying to steer you into extra packages and paint protection that is a rip off. I could see how some people may of been talked into stuff they don't need. And Check all paperwork so you know exactly what the cash price is as well as the monthly cost if your going for finance.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Interesting post !
You have to be careful on what's optional it's easy to get sucked in to buying something you don't want or need.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
438 Posts
We bought 2cars at the same time....the salesman had written GAP and autoglym on both invoices without even telling us!

He has a target for both. Luckily I spotted it when it came to negotiating a deal but it is a bit cheeky!Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just remembered now, the dayI collected the car they ran through some of the packages again with me just in case I would be vunerable without them('Duty of care' they call it!) and the price for tyre/alloy wheel insurance had changedfrom £500 the week before, to £250! cheeky sods!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Arthur Daley is alive and he has taught all car salesmen well.
You can simply insist on having a standard car with NO extras,as i have always done.If they say its not possible then walk away and find another dealer who wants your business,and is prepared to talk sense.

Remember,car dealers are not doing youa favour by selling you a car.You are doing them a favour buy spending thousands with them. If they do not want your business and do not know how to treat a customer with respect,then walk,and you will soon find a dealer who does want your business.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This adding of extras to the price at the outset seems to be par for the course. When we sat down to talk turkey I had to wade through an 'essentials on the road pack' which inflated the OTR of the car by £800. This consisted of expensive GAP insurance (£300), insurance policies for alloy wheel and minor paint/body damage and the infamous super guard body/ interior protection.

I stripped away all of these before getting down to negotiating the deal itself. They tried to leave GAP in the first time my sales exec went off to see the manager, and had another go at selling it to me on collection day (with £100 off the original cost quoted).

At the next desk a young woman appeared to be finalising a deal for a new car, and the sales exec was running through the various products I'd ditched. I had to fight an irresistible urge to go over and say to her: "don't sign up for them - you can save yourself a bundle by refusing them."

On that point, even if GAP and some sort of super guard is of interest you can easily get these for a lot less than the dealer charges (my GAP is less than a third what they originally quoted).

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have to say, the hard sell on the dealer options was the worst aspect of buying my up! My car also came from Inchcape, and I had to refuse all the insurance products listed twice - once at the time of order and again upon collection, when the price reduced by about half!

I got my Autoglym Lifeshine Kit on eBay for £10 and did that myself (instead of paying c.£300), the rest I've lived without for the past 40 years of car ownership and decided I would carry on like that!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds about right! Did some searching on gardx, not many positive comments on the web. Someone did a huge test on sealants, gardx failed like most of them after 3 months, test only ran for 4 months, only a few were stil protecting, will post link on here when I find it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea, I've always refused these protection products. Just the sales guy getting more commission.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Inchape VW in Romford quoted the price inc paint protection & GAP insurance. I had to wait 15 mins for a price with them removed. Talk about starting the negotiations a bad way.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The VW provided paint protection is more expensive than what a professional detailer in London would charge for a new car detail which takes a couple of days and includes real paint protection not the crap that will come off in 4 months time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a Chartered Engineer and have worked in the car industry for many years. I have been responsible for paint on some of the most prestigious cars made and have tested all the paints systems. I can say with certainty that the various paint protection products that dealers sell do very little to protect paint!. They wash off after a few weeks and in some cases can do harm as they can trap dirt and grit particles. The one thing they do is to make dealers lots of money as they are very cheap to buy but are sold at silly money to customers. Give them a miss and just hand wash regularly. (Auto car washes wreck paint).PS...The products applied to fabric interior trim do offer a level of protection against staining, but all car fabrics have to pass stringent anti stain tests in any case.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Washed the up today for the second time, have had it just a month now, there were some orange tree sap spots on the roof, they were bonded to the paint like ****! had to use fair bit of pressure with the wash mit, and didn't get all of it off, obviously gardx does not protect paintwork very well, if it had been recently waxed the sap would of barely stuck at all. When I rinsed the roof off, there was no beading of water in the areas where I had washed twice to try and get the sap spots off, so the gardx has failed already! 1 month, what a load of crap.

I didn't pay for the gardx but it still annoys me
probably factored into the price of the car somewhere!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kentdevonfranceman said:
I am a Chartered Engineer and have worked in the car industry for many years.  I have been responsible for paint on some of the most prestigious cars made and have tested all the paints systems. I can say with certainty that the various paint protection products that dealers sell do very little to protect paint!.  They wash off after a few weeks and in some cases can do harm as they can trap dirt and grit particles. The one thing they do is to make dealers lots of money as they are very cheap to buy but are sold at silly money to customers. Give them a miss and just hand wash regularly.  (Auto car washes wreck paint). PS...The products applied to fabric interior trim do offer a level of protection against staining, but all car fabrics have to pass stringent anti stain tests in any case.
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I was wondering if the manufacturer has to approve these paint protection systems like gardx etc, before the dealers can offer them, or can the dealers just do what they like?

Do new cars get any sort of waxing or protection before they leave the factory these days, or are they just 'as painted'? I remember in the manual for an older VW I had mentioning delivery wax done at the factory, and that the car should be washed with plain water only!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm new to the forum having just ordered an Up..

Although this is an old thread though I'd chip in for new owners browsing

I've always refused these these expensive finishes and much prefer giving a new car a good wax when new and apply a sealant coat on top asap, same day if the weathers right... after that I'm not anal about it, just handwash and aim to wax n topcoat before and after winter as a minimum..

there are plenty of good sealants available in Halfords and there's no way the dealer will take the wheels off and do the inner surfaces. No idea how effective that is against brake dust but can't harm and its a good way to spend an hour or two with a new car..

also an opportunity to coppaseal the wheel to hub surfaces too while new after seeing a tyre fitter have to get a wheel off a Mini (probably for the first time) using a sledgehammer on the inner tyre surface (having rocked it so hard it moved on the jack and trying to roll in back and forth with the wheelnuts slightly loose which had no effect)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd go along with comments about dealer applied finishes after splashing out on Lifeshine. Even though I am a great fan of Autoglym, I think I can do a better (or at least as good as) job myself.

I'd also agree with AuntieSpam's comment about Coppasealing the wheels/hubs. The Classics on the front are particularly sticky, as I discovered when changing over to winter wheels last autumn. The Classics on the back were fine and the winter steels were good too, but the front Classics were a tighter fit and had stuck to the hubs. Quite a bit of persuasion was required to get them off!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Leif said:
I can't remember if it was here, or on Honest John , but I recall reading a post from a car salesman saying that these polishes are 90% profit, which is why they push them so hard.
I declined this option. When I collected the car I was told they'd done the interior fabric and exterior paint treatment FOC. So yes, actual cost to them was probably minimal (other punters get mats/ tank of fuel or flowers or ...)
Assuming the treatment was actually carried out, it rather made up for the nasty floor mats I purchased. Their main feature is their ability to curl up like the proverbial 'sultan's slippers'.

·
Registered
184 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
Leif said:
I can't remember if it was here, or on Honest John , but I recall reading a post from a car salesman saying that these polishes are 90% profit, which is why they push them so hard.
I declined this option. When I collected the car I was told they'd done the interior fabric and exterior paint treatment FOC. So yes, actual cost to them was probably minimal (other punters get mats/ tank of fuel or flowers or ...)
Assuming the treatment was actually carried out, it rather made up for the nasty floor mats I purchased. Their main feature is their ability to curl up like the proverbial 'sultan's slippers'.

Ditto. I said no thanks, didn't pay for it and had a card from VW / Autoglym with a policy reference number should I have any issues with the product treatment. I actually think all cars are being given the treatment by VW and it is up to dealerships to try and recoup some of this through 'salesmanship'

·
Registered
97 Posts
PeterWestSussex said:
...................... it rather made up for the nasty floor mats I purchased. Their main feature is their ability to curl up like the proverbial 'sultan's slippers'.
Peter, I rather like that similie!

Edited by: Robbyrook

1 - 20 of 31 Posts