Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a High Up ASG but now thinking of cancelling it due to lots of negative comments on here about the ASG potentially being " dangerous" on roundabouts & hills etc. My hands are wonky so don't want to keep messing about putting it in manual. This defeats the object of me needing an automatic. I only ordered it 6 days ago but already wish I hadn't bothered. Doesn't anyone have one & likes it? I'm ringing the garage later to say thanks but no thanks. What a downer...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Someone mentioned something about a software upgrade to sort the problem, so it may not be a problem soon hopefully.

·
Registered
202 Posts
its just an robotic gearbox... Wouldn't worry about the roundabout thing... Ever driven a smart auto? Or first series A-class? Its the same thing U just have to get used to it that's all... My brother had same "problems" in the smart then he just learned to drive it after a bit..

·
Registered
226 Posts
On a forum like this, you tend to see many more negative comments as happy people generally don't keep posting as much as unhappy people and anyway, it only a very small portion of the total number if owners, many people have no problems.

If you test drove one and found it fine, you'll probably find yours fine as well. Almost everybody agrees that it's a great little car!Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you get a test drive of an Up ASG? This is crucial because your driving style will be the determining factor. As an engineer, I am skeptical about automatic gearboxes and small engines. However, you need to do an urban test drive with extended periods of holding 30mph and 20 mph. Willthe car do this without constantly shifting? Urban driving is going to change dramtically over the next few years as local authourities are exercising their new powers to enforce 20mph zones. Dual carririageway driving should be accomplished without shifting (unless you are overtaking).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I did have a test drive for about 4 mins on a straight, isolated road., I am going back tomorrow to see if I can have a longer, more realistic test drive. It felt weird after driving my 1.6 Renault Clio Automatic but it's obviously a smaller engine so I'll need to get used to this. To be honest I didn't know ASG didn't mean fully automatic as I understand it. I've driven automatics for 15 years & never had problems. I really appreciate people taking the trouble to reply & I feel a bit more decisive now that I will try another test drive & take it from there. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've also ordered one. Not got it yet (should have been today but thats another story!) I test drove a move up and found it as good as any other auto I've had and I've been driving autos for 30+ years. worst was prob smart car but after a while I learned the best way to drive it and loved it. I think (hope!) majority of negatives come from manual drivers or ones used to more powerful engines. Time will tell whether I made right desicion but as its the 7th car in as many years hubby is really hoping I've found the one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When you buy a new up! with ASG you learn how to drive, and ASG learn how you drive(this is my theory after 2600km with ASG).First few kilometers were weird, long gear change and I was wondering if I make right decision to buy it. But with every next day and another kilometers I liked it more and more. Now I'm ver satisfied with my choice and I would buy it again.
When you remember how it works you'll like it.
And the fuel consumption is very low.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So pleased there has been a couple of favourable replies. I feel much more settled in my choice now. Had a sleepless night thinking I'd made the wrong decision I feel more sure now that The car & I will be ok together. Again thank you so much.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
At last some sensible comments about ASG. I have had mine over six months now and covered 5000 miles. I didn't test drive an ASG before I got mine because there were none available but I did do my research. The ASG is not an automatic gearbox but is an automised clutch and does benefit from the correct driving technique. You will find after a few hundred miles that you will develop the right technique and I am sure you will love the ease of driving it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yay I'm getting more excited about it now, I'm not cancelling. Thanks soooo much for taking the time & trouble to put my mind at rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts