Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm due my 1st service and was wondering the benefits of going to my dealer? I don't see any.
An approved independent dealer is cheaper so why pay more?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm due my first service for my Mii in May as well after debating if to go approved or not I decided to go with a Seat dealer for the first one as my car has 3 year warranty, even tho its costing more after that I guess going approved would be ok as they still stamp the service book. Don't really think there's any benefits (at least I haven't heard of any). I got a free oil top up for booking online but I don't know if you'd class that as being a benefit lol.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Approved garages will still covered your warranty
Dealer will wash my car for me but after a couple of days you can't tell anyway

SophhDDon't you get full oil change anyway

·
Registered
430 Posts
spud said:
Approved garages will still covered your warranty
Dealer will wash my car for me but after a couple of days you can't tell anyway

SophhDDon't you get full oil change anyway

with a gritty sponge no doubt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Spud. Usually if you get your serviced at the dealer, they "honour" issues more, if they are certain that it has at least been "seen" by a dealer. It doesn't have to be the one you purchased it from though. This is pretty much the case with all dealers now. Also, your very likely to get a courtesy car while yours is being serviced as long as you book in advance. I confirmed this with my dealer before placing my order, but I was able to get 3 years free servicing for free in with my deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spud - Yeah I get a full oil change included in the price of the service but they have thrown in a Castrol top up kit for booking online in advance. Sometimes they offer deals for booking online and in advance etc.

M4796P - Wish they offered me 3 years free servicing when I got my car haha.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Sophh. I was quite hard with the negotiation and managed to get £250 off, tinted windows, Autoglym Life Shine, luxury mats and my free servicing during my deal! I was chuffed to bits with that!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I believe the dealers will also carry out any updates and mods that are not at recall level. I forget the term they use to describe it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I got several mods with the first service on my Take Up. I paid £99 for my servicing, I must try harder next time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
M4796P said:
Hi Sophh. I was quite hard with the negotiation and managed to get £250 off, tinted windows, Autoglym Life Shine, luxury mats and my free servicing during my deal! I was chuffed to bits with that!
I'd be chuffed if I was you as well! I asked for mudflaps to be thrown in and they said only if they had them in stock and they didn't so I had to get them myself
, they did give me the car mats and at the time the navigation system was coming free with new Mii's even tho mine was pre reg they gave me it anyways so I guess I kind of got a couple of extras thrown in.

Edited by: SophhD

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine has offered me first service for £99, but it is quite far to travel, and my local garage has also said £99

·
Registered
393 Posts
Rednaxela said:
I believe the dealers will also carry out any updates and mods that are not at recall level. I forget the term they use to describe it.
This is also correct. It can be called several things depending on the manufacturer, which I know Toyota carry out at services, aswell as any recall items.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm close to needing my first service for my Mii, which will have about 4,500-5,000 miles by then.

The Seat dealer I bought it from has sent me a flyer offering to do it for £169 (albeit with a free 1l oil top-up kit - though I don't appear to be using any oil at the moment so the value to me is somewhat less).

£169 for an oil and filter change (plus a quick once over to check everything else) seems quite pricey to me. I'm going to ask my local independent for a quote and I'd be amazed if they aren't quite a bit cheaper (plus they are more convenient to me).

When you compare the cost with the up! service plan cost, it seems like Seat UK is missing a trick here.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
169 is a lot have you rang them to see if it can be done any cheaper, try saying your local garage has offered to do it for £100 and see if they will match it

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
M4796P said:

Free servicing, ??? dont you mean 3 free services....I got that but I note the 40k service is quite a big one so if you do 10k or less a year, yes it is 3 yrs free but the likes of me, 25K a year....reckon I'll have a big fat bill for service No.4 around Feb 2014 ie 18months into ownership

Has ANYONE reached 40k yet???

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Rednaxela said:
They do, and they also do recalls that do not require an immediate visit. My last service had a recall on the driver's door lock which they replaced for some reason. I also had an immediate recall for a cable fix in the first year. The point is that independents to not have access to the manufacturers list of recalls and fixes, which are done free anyway. I think it pays to use the main dealer for the first 4 or 5 years of ownership.

Another point is that the main dealer is more likely to have components in stock. An independent might make you come back, taking time off work, for a second session if they need to order a component in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good point about the recalls and so on.

I do have a VW garage very convenient to me (right next to the station I use if going up to London for the day) rather than the Seat garage which is about 15 miles in the wrong direction. (I had originally intended to buy an up! but the VW dealer hadn't got one in stock in the right spec and the Seat dealer did happen to).

Presumably a VW dealer will have easy access to all the right parts and be able to update systems, know what recalls are out there, etc?

·
Registered
467 Posts
If You go to VW service, You also receive Mobility guarantee for one year.Ok, it's simple to change oil in the 1st servicing, but the service also checks for all cars possible damages. If I go to independet service, they're only changing oil and that's it.

As Up is a newbie, anything can happen with it, so the mobility warranty is an argument for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Isn't a dealer service more in depth service of the car as a whole where as most other garages just carry out an engine service. Thats what I was lead to believe anyway?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Heartagram said:
Isn't a dealer service more in depth service of the car as a whole where as most other garages just carry out an engine service. Thats what I was lead to believe anyway?
No, that's not true many good quality independent garages are very thorough and will service your car to the original manufacturers schedule or to your specifications. The garage i use I know and trust, they charge £48 per hour labour and I provide my own parts and oil. Also they will not quote you for part worn items like VW do. I will use up my 3 years servicing that I got for £149 then after this back to my trusted independent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts