Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completed the last two oil changes on my GTi, it a 20 minute job.

I have an inspection service indicator now showing.

Does anyone have a listing of what is involved as I would like to do it myself.

Car is north of 60k

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just had a quick look on Autodata using my reg.
The inspection service alone appears to be just as it says, a vehicle inspection (lights,wipers, brakes suspension blah blah), clean out the plenum chamber and drains (at additional charge!), check and top up of screen wash, oil and brake fluid.

Just out of curiosity, I ticked the box for the 60k mile/72 month service and it added the replacement of the air filter. No idea if you've been following the schedule for the additional items beyond just an oil change but if you're interested in what else it should get and when then I can let you know.

Do bear in mind this is simply what Autodata states so it may not be VW gospel, although I'd suspect it's pretty much bang on.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
115 Posts
I'm interested to learn about this too. The impression I get is that the ultimate solution might be to register to use VW's erWin platform and then pay (Euro7/1hour, Euro30/1day) to get up-to-date VIN specific information. You can apparently download multiple repair manuals, TSBs, service manuals, etc. I guess Euro30 for 24 hours is more realistic.
This, I assume, is what companies like easymanuals do for you for a fee. I already have their basic £15 collection of manuals; there is a maintenance manual dated 1.2019 that covers the (then current) service schedule - happy to attempt to email it to you if you're able to PM your address. I haven't yet used erWin or even Autodata so can't comment on any differences. I liked Haynes manuals 🤯

·
Registered
2021 GTI
115 Posts
noooo! 🙈
If I were able to copy and paste PDF screens (I'm not?), I'd post the schedule here. This full maintenance manual is 120+ pages long; can it be hosted on here? Or is that naughty? Happy to email it to anyone who wants a copy, just PM.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Definitely naughty, but not as naughty as diesel defeat devices. Just be aware that the pdf might have DRM meaning only you can open it, or it might have a digital watermark that can trace it back to you. If you send it to me I can check it over.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I will have a Service and MOT when the car is 3 years old in September this year. I will have this done at the VW main dealer (the final service on my service plan) and they price match MOTs.

I know a lot of the checks on the service and MOT are the same and i am sure they will not do the same checks twice. They will probably do the MOT first and then just the oil and filter change etc for the service.

·
Registered
2021 GTI
115 Posts
Definitely naughty, but not as naughty as diesel defeat devices. Just be aware that the pdf might have DRM meaning only you can open it, or it might have a digital watermark that can trace it back to you. If you send it to me I can check it over.
Ah, OK, thanks. I'll start a PM conversation in a minute

3/6 edit: Kiloran has kindly checked this over and doesn't seem to think there's any problem (thanks Kiloran) - so happy to continue to offer to email

·
Registered
2021 GTI
115 Posts
I will have a Service and MOT when the car is 3 years old in September this year. I will have this done at the VW main dealer (the final service on my service plan) and they price match MOTs.

I know a lot of the checks on the service and MOT are the same and i am sure they will not do the same checks twice. They will probably do the MOT first and then just the oil and filter change etc for the service.
Things like coolant and heating hoses aren't MoT check points but should be inspected at service; hinge lubrication; noisy gearboxes; erm..
I do sometimes worry when I have someone else do a full service and an MOT at the same time but decent outfits (and you'd hope, main dealers) should do a proper job. You can check the hinges have been lubricated anyway

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have had three e mail reminders so far from the main dealer to book a service with them, even though the service is not due until the end of August. They are certainly on the ball.

They also included an ad for the next 2 services (years 4 and 5) to include 2 services, 2 MOTs and 2 years breakdown cover for £33- 20 per month. I think that is too costly.

Once my car is out of warranty, a local VW Indie does a small service for £125-00. I can get an MOT for £30 and full breakdown cover for £30.

I would prefer to stay with the VW main dealer as they have been very good, so i will see if i can get them to discount the price for the next two year service plan. (Trade Price perhaps.) If so i will stay with them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Independent VW/Audi garage in Cumbria
Changed 3 spark plugs. Didn't do brake fluid as it was done in year 3
£295 all in. = £168 labour, £127 parts (plugs, oil, filters pollen and oil, sump plug)

I dropped the tyre pressures back down to a sensible 34, 32 straight after !

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks. Yes brake fluid year 3 then every 2 years thereafter and as expected year 4 is spark plugs will be doing this on ours August/September hopefully at friends and family rate with me supplying the parts bought direct from Volkswagen

·
Registered
662 Posts
Independent VW/Audi garage in Cumbria
Changed 3 spark plugs. Didn't do brake fluid as it was done in year 3
£295 all in. = £168 labour, £127 parts (plugs, oil, filters pollen and oil, sump plug)

I dropped the tyre pressures back down to a sensible 34, 32 straight after !

How much extra for the MOT and Breakdown cover? The VW main dealer service plan which includes all this, is around £400 a year, so it looks like your indie garage would be close to this price depending on the price of the MOT and Breakdown cover.

My local Indies price is only £125 for the small service and £195 for the big service. Therefore it costs a lot less than the VW main dealer price even if you add the cost of the MOT and Breakdown cover which i can get for £30 each. That makes it £185 and £255.

I have the same pressures in my tyres as yours. 34 front and 32 rear. When i had the car serviced last year i told them to put 34 and 32 in the tyres when i booked the car in and that is what they did.

I see all the boxes have been ticked on that work sheet. It reminds me of many years ago when i took my Jaguar for a service to a main dealer. The clock was showing the wrong time, however it had been ticked on the job sheet as being correctly set and working perfectly. I could not help thinking even though every job had been ticked if any work had actually been done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Where do you get your full breakdown cover for 30 quid? I assume that doesn't include recovery or home start.

It is with a company called "Start Rescue" Have a look at their web site

Its for the Full Monty including Home Start and Relay.

They use different garages that come to you. I have only used them once when my Smart would not start at home. They arrived in 20 minutes and got the car started 5 minutes later.

They also give a discount each year if you have not called them out. They are an excellent company.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I can vouch for them. We get the same full cover for My Gti, and the Mrs Tsi for £47.88 per ann, as I've been a customer for a good few years.

Reactions: TEST DRIVER

·
Registered
394 Posts
How much extra for the MOT and Breakdown cover? The VW main dealer service plan which includes all this, is around £400 a year, so it looks like your indie garage would be close to this price depending on the price of the MOT and Breakdown cover.
The base price for this Major service was £199, similar to yours.

I pay £54.95 for an MOT, but it's with the local garage, not this indie and they pick up and drop off the car, and they are trustworthy. Discounted MOT means "we are going to find some work in this" to me.
Breakdown is covered on my insurance.
I don't trust my Main Dealer as they have proven themselves to be inept and careless with repair and service work. Never going back. They broke my car twice.
You just find what works for you locally.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts