Up Owners Club banner

Installing cruise control?

182K views 190 replies 61 participants last post by  kristianvanek 
#1 ·
Hello forum!

I've been following this great little forum since new year, and now I hope you can help me with info yet again.

I've got a Move up!, but I really miss having cruise control. And as I am under education, I'm hoping to be able to install it cheaper than the ~£500 it costs at Danish Volkswagen dealers.

But I am not sure exactly how much such an upgrade requires, and I haven't had much luck when searching the web either.

I can see that the cruise control lamp is installed in the speedometer, and I know it would require a new combi switch in the steering column (~£60 at Volkswagen dealer).

But does anyone here know whether or not the wiring and clutch/brake switches are installed from factory, or if VCDS are able to work with an up! yet?

Ideas and thoughts are welcome as well :)

Thanks in advance
Rasmus

Edited by: RasmusTJ

See less See more
#2 ·
I asked my dealer about retro-fitting cruise control as I have had it on 3 previous cars and always used it. My dealer is pretty reliable and checked this out for me but told me that it was not possible to retro-fit cruise control on the Up (I knew it could be easily retro-fitted on other VWs). I ordered the sensor pack even although I didn't want the rear parking sensors just so that I could get the cruise control.

There's always a chance the information I received was wrong though

#3 ·
First post here - Hope coming owners of the "sister models" are welcome

Waiting for my Seat Mii

With cruise control there is a lot of partial and conflicting information... I was told by my dealer that he heard that it would be possible. No details though and it sounded like it might be another company that would offer a solution.

But a really good question - i took the chance and ordered my Mii without since it would cost too much and include a lot of stuff i don't need to have it factory fitted.

Looking forward to recieving it soon :)
Build week is next week.

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, although the answers aren't very uplifting

b82ry said:
To install cruise control also CAN-BUS needs to be upgraded to the top level!
Does this mean that only High up! comes pre-wired for cruise control? Sounds like you have insider knowledge

My thought was just that if a Volkswagen dealer can retrofit it, you should also be able to retrofit it yourself.

#6 ·
For High Up! the High+ CAN Bus is in standard. It is upgraded only depending on optional equipment (If you have Take Up! or Move up!equippedsunroof or BlueMotion Technology, CAN is upgraded to High+ and Cruise controlinstallationget`s much more easier):

Edited by: b82ry

#10 ·
Cruise control was the one option I would really have liked but chose to go for a standard car to speed delivery. It would be great if it could be retro-fitted to an Up.

I kind of thought the basic 'bones' of a car were all the same these days but, from posts above, it seems manufacturers are still cutting out stuff to save a few pennies e.g.different wiring looms dependant on model chosen.

They could make money during the life of the car if the options were perhaps designed as plug in modules i.e. want cruise control - plug in the control arm to a socket on the steering column. In addition to this, other options could be enabled via software where you pay for the relevant activation code. Just a thought...

#11 ·
RasmusTJ said:
Ideas and thoughts are welcome as well
If you didn't order cruise control from the factory then you can forget about any of the electronics required for it to already be there waiting for a retro fit. If something as simple as the wiring for extra speakers isn't there than surely you're not going to find anything needed for the cruise control. As my dealer said to me, sure, we can retro fit just about anything.. "at aprice" (4 to 5 times the original cost). The reason I was willing to wait several months for mine to arrive because I wanted every thing to already be there from the factory.

#13 ·
I always thought cruise control....pah! Now having it fitted on my current car I wouldn't do without it.

Well worth the 350 quid

#14 ·
ZumbaQueen said:
I always thought cruise control....pah! Now having it fitted on my current car I wouldn't do without it.

Well worth the 350 quid
Absolutely..!

Two days ago I was driving across Switzerland on the Autobahn when I noticed several cars a couple hundred meters ahead of me all hitting their brakes at the same time. Then I saw the reason, there was a speed camera mounted on the center divider. Did I have a panic attack like the others ahead of me and hit the brakes as well..? Nope, cruise control was on and set at exactly 120kph (speed limit).

#15 ·
I suspect it is unlikely the electronics, wiring etc for cruise control are built in to cars by default. As mentioned earlier, manufacturers will cut corners where they can to increase profits on each car. Cruise control is a 'nice to have' feature and its absence is not a deal breaker for me.
Incidentally, can the Up cruise control be used as a speed limiter at low speeds? This would be particularly useful in towns, for example 30mph here in the UK.

#17 ·
A member of a Danish VW forum asked his local VW dealer what parts would be needed to retrofit cruise control.

Apparantly you would need both the combi switch (~£60), but also a "cruise control module" (~£320). It doesn't say exactly what is included in this "module", or if it is plug'n'play.

#18 ·
cruise also helps your mpg hugely...I wanted it but didn't need the reversing sensors...unfortunately its a 'pack' so had to cough up £350 for cruise.....as I do 20K + miles per year though its essential.

you'd think it would be standard on the high up+ though...pah!

#19 ·
Okay, so today as I was doing the weekly oil level check I took a quick peak down at the pedal console. I noticed that that some sort of electronics was installed by the clutch master cylinder. I guess it's a switch for the start/stop system included in the BlueMotion package, but I think it could also be used for deactivating the cruise control.

Dunno about the brake switch though - does anybody know if the brake light switch is usually used for deactivating cruise control also?

Then perhaps there's still a chance that it's plug'n'play on BlueMotion models

#20 ·
I was at the local VW dealer today, who had retrofitted cruise control on a Move up!

He said they couldn't do it entirely with original parts from a High up!, they had to go another way. He wouldn't tell me exactly what they had done, but I am not interested in using unoriginal parts anyway.

#22 ·
In all the other cars, you can just retro fit the stalk and then enable the option in the CCM...

#26 ·
Great news! According to a member on the danish VW forum, VAGcars.dk, it has been proven possible to retrofit cruise control using only OEM parts. Information about the fitting process is still poor but BMT models should all have the correct BCM for cruise control.
That means you should only need a new combi switch (which unlocks the multifunction computer in the dash also), a bit of wiring and access to VCDS to enable cruise control (andmultifunction computerif wanted).

I'm hoping for more detailed information over the next few days, but if fitting is as simple as expected we are looking at fitting costs of under £100!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.