Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Anyone know the score with car insurance and whether you declare factory fitted options as modifications? I've been shopping around the comparison sites and also some of the big guns comparing quotes and it makes a huge difference. On one site the premium jumped £200 just because I ticked 3 boxes - Parking sensors, uprated braking (for the City braking system) and lowered suspension. Scary!

However on Aviva's siteit says anthing other than factory fitted options has to be declared so that might be worth checking out.I've also emailed Allianz to see what their take on it as well as I belive they're behind the VW insurance.

Can anybody shed any light on this?

It seems a bit harsh to really hike the premiums for what is a 1 litre car with a couple of extras on it - not a hot rod with a nitro kit and Carlos Fandango wheel trims!

·
Registered
62 Posts
as far as I have always been concerned, if the options are factory fitted not dealer fitted then they can't be classed as modifications.

Last claim I had was way back in 1996 on a Renault 5 turbo with a huge list of undeclared aftermarket mods, insurance company still paid out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks Mark that's how I see it. I'm going to call Allianz anyhow later and confirm that is how they view it and go from there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spoken to VW Insurance and as far as they are concerned if it left the factory with the options bolted to it then they don't need to know about it.
Happy days!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts