Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,

Starting to look around for insurance for when mine comes!

Who's with what company and how much does it cost (if you don't mind me asking!)

I definitely need one with windscreen cover and perhaps courtesy car as I use my car for work!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The best quote I have had so far is from esure for £236 this is with 5 years NCB, 0 Points , 0 Claims and my mum on the policy.

What are others paying?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I went with swift cover, fully comp 180 with wife 198 with out her, I'm 34 years old and live in durham

Old car Volvo V40 was 440 for same cover

·
Registered
120 Posts
Insurance is horribly complex & a quote from the same company can change a lot depending on the answers to the questions, for example when insuring my son for my old Aygo, if I transferred ownership to him it saved money, however when I changed the purchase date to this year it cost more.

I have recently insured 3 cars and found that LV was consitently cheap, however you have to be careful. I had to remove a rev counter that I had fitted to my Aygo as LV treated that as a modification and would not insure my son for a car with a modification, whilst esure were happy not to charge for a modification, it was my son that they didn't like !!

My wife had an accident about 4 years ago, that didn't cause any grief with her car insurance or adding her to my policy, however putting her as a named driver on my Son's policy would have doubled the cost !!

Therefore the moral is to be veryclear about what you want to insure and then try out different permutations of excess & other conditions until you get the price that you are happy with & do be totally honest with the answers, the companies don't do a lot of checks when you are giving them money, however they do check when they are returning it !!

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
£168 Fully comp with Mrs ages 49 & 51 (I'm a toy-boy!) I've 6 pts but full NCB, Mrs 0 pts and full NCB

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey im 24 with 4 years no claims bonus, 6 years drivin, and i gt a quote with tesco fo £450 ish bt i got my wife on there 2 who only past last year. Beats my golf insurance by half

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks peeps, I've been trying to shop around but it gets so boring typing in all your information! Get bored too easily!
The best I've had so far is £280, that's with me being 26, driving for 7 years with 3 years ncb!

Going to try a few more places first to see if anywhere else will offer me a better deal

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm turning 25 tomorrow with my birthday being the renewal date. I have just paid £333 for insurance with hastings direct. beat my admiral quote by £256! I have 5 years no claims with the gf on the insurance as well (which probs makes the price increase I'd imagine
)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My previous insurance was with LV (Liverpool Victoria) on a Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 and for me and my mother it was £1800, I'm 19 and have been driving a year with no NCD and my mother has 8 years NCD and we have just ordered and waiting for the UP! And had a quote as if we were buying the insurance and it was £810 so we both nearly dropped to the floor in amazement, all of the rest were around the £1400 mark on the comparison sites and LV online quoted £1000 but when we rung up and asked for it and they gave us the £810 quote. I think LV is good for those that may have been in an accident or whatever because they keep the questions about an accident really brief, e.g the comparison sites ask who was at fault, how much the claim cost was, who was at blame etc. whereas LV just asks the type of accident and who's at fault I think so a lot more brief in terms of description which I suppose is why it is so little compared to the others

·
Registered
235 Posts
Agree with Davdw - insurance is a black art and continues to mystify me.

I have a colleague at work with a new Audi A5 3.0 TDI which he has just re-insured for under £200!!!!

I tend to use a comparison site to get a bench mark and then look at individual companies (including those not included on comparison sites like Direct Line).

Currently with LV - although they weren't the cheapest for my current car, they were competitive and their service is highly rated. In other words - good VFM.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I was going to ask who on earth LV are then found someone referred to Liverpool Victoria. Never hear of them before!

spud said:
I went with swift cover, fully comp 180 with wife 198 with out her, I'm 34 years old and live in durham

Old car Volvo V40 was 440 for same cover
How odd. I paid Swift £200 for a Ford Ka with 7 years NCB, age 48, now Swift want £240 for my TakeUp with 8 Years NCB, age 49. I can pay £200 fully comp including courtesy car. Some say 'courtesy car when available', ha ha, so there is one in the country.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After trying 3 comparison sites and about 12 different companies and some giving me quotes for £500 the cheapest I've managed to find is swift cover with £270, think that's the cheapest I'm going to find!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I second what Upmeister says and just look at comparison sites for a benchmark price because in our experience there are cheaper direct options, if you try the ones that aren't listed on comparison websites for me they tended to be the cheapest and if they have an online resource for a quote try that and then ring them direct. LV were brilliant to us and we got a quote in 10 minutes max. and even rarer a UK call centre and someone with an English mother-tongue which is always a bonus - plus when we got bumped in our at they were very helpful and we got the car repaired withing the same week so I haven't got any faults with LV and would highly reccomend them. However if you shop around and get a quote with someone that is the cheapest so far I would try ringing up your current insurer and saying 'I've got a quote for x amount and I am already with you can you beat it etc.' that is if you want to stay with them?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's very true! Lv we're one of the most expensive ones and came up as £450
I did notice that comparison sites are easier but after having time last night do use the individual insurers some did come up a bit cheaper!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Hmmm. Will be interesting to see what mine comes to when I renew in March...

·
Registered
36 Posts
VW's own insurance is very competitive and you have the benefit of simplicity etc. I've always used manufacturer's own insurance (Volvo previously) and have never had a problem. I'm 67, and got £250 from VWI for my Move up! Better than any other quotes I got and superior cover.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I tried VW Insurance when I arranged the 7 day insurance. They wanted £368 vs the £231 on offer from Esure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Got quoted £250 from Admiral for both the misses and I for fully comprehensive both have no no claims (misses hasn't driven for years and I've been a named driver).
I was pleasantly surprised.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts