Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting what transpired when I was arranging the 7 day insurance cover with the VW Insurance service (Alliance apparently). No trouble fixing up the temporary cover but they also like to quote you for full cover and this turned out a bit high. I said it was high for a Group 2 car and theyinsistedit was a Group 5. Makes a difference. Anyone else come across this?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Group 5 sound wrong, my BMT 60 is group 1E, which for me fast appraoaching 50 cost me just£141 withprotected bonus, courtesy carand legal cover..I'd get on the comparrison websites if I were you. Also most companys throw in GAP cover eg if the cars a write off within first year they replace with new car

·
Registered
811 Posts
The quote I got from them was ridiculously high but I just said 'no', I never thought to query the insurance group. Aviva certainly have it as group 2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the 7 day free cover just long enough for the garage to tax the car. I have AA insurance with protected no claims for £116.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hasting direct have me insured as a group 1 insurance band with mine.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Insurance groups are not decided by insurance company's, they now range from 1-50 and are set by a panel made up of a cross section of advisers from within the motor industry including repairers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Had a agnder at Parkers ins group siteit says Take Up & Move Up are group 1, High Ups & Up BlackWhite are group 2
weird ... would make more sense if the 50Bhps were group 1 & the 75 Bhp versions were group 2
never mind Go Compare, Go Figure!
Insurers are a law unto themselves anyway huh?

·
Registered
128 Posts
My current insurance (LV)charged me £20 to add my son to the policy, or £40 to cancel. You would have thought it would come down a lot from a Bora 2.0 sport but no chance.They have quoted me £227 renewal in June with my brother and son on the policy which is £4 more than VW which has protected NCD. Iwill be looking around in June but premiums apparently increased 30% in the last year.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It would make sense if higher spec car like high up and white/black were group 2 being more desirable to thieves

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here are the insurance groups as currently listed by the ABI panel. So, a clear split between the 60 & 75 ps versions.

For the record I'm paying about £200 (40yo, 11yr NCD, fairly safe postcode) with £50 cashback to (hopefully) come my way in a few weeks.

VW insurance were actually prettycompetitivethis time (they haven't been before) but couldn't quite match the best quotes I got.

Edited by: juux

·
Registered
604 Posts
What is different about the security in the high up bmt , it has different code

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stick something on this forum and you get amazing response! Thankseveryone. It all goes to show that insurance companies are a law unto themselves sometimes. I only took the VW 7 day cover as I have just renewed existing cover on my Juke and will change over to the Up when I get it. I did tell VW that they were very high (almost the same as the Juke) and the girl went away and then came back with £60 knocked off! As you all suggest...shop around! It will be interesting to see what my present company (ABC through LV) come up with.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I was also offered £60 off but it was still to much by over £100

·
Registered
430 Posts
spud said:
It would make sense if higher spec car like high up and white/black were group 2 being more desirable to thieves
It will be based on cost to replace wether pinched, written off etc..obviously the higher spec models will cost the insurer more either in repair costs or if a total loss hence the group 2 for high ups. All up's do well really in group 1 or 2 and part of this is also down to the crash protection which for a city car is excellent ˜Š

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
spud said:
It will be based on cost to replace wether pinched, written off etc..obviously the higher spec models will cost the insurer more either in repair costs or if a total loss hence the group 2 for high ups

Except that the trim levels don't actually affect the grouping, see the ABI table.

The only thing that affects it is the engine output.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
juux said:
Rickenbacker said:
spud said:
It will be based on cost to replace wether pinched, written off etc..obviously the higher spec models will cost the insurer more either in repair costs or if a total loss hence the group 2 for high ups

Except that the trim levels don't actually affect the grouping, see the ABI table.

The only thing that affects it is the engine output.

I think that makes sense. They will assume anyone who goes for a bit extra power will have a bit of 'buzz' about them and might go quicker? (never mind you might have chosen it for other reasons). A bit like choosing red. Insurers don't like red very much unless it is a nice, muted hue!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts