Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
They say that,but always manage to think of another reason why the premiums should increase each year! Saying that our insurance did come down £35 when we changed to the UP! £225 fully comp and protected NCD.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Got a quote for mine...just wife and me....£156 fully comp protected ncb....add son(17) and it goes ballistic!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I believe the up! doesn't qualify, as the small print says:

Any variant in a model range that includes the technology as standard
will see its rating reduced by up to four insurance groups.
Apparently, most cars will have it as standard in the next few years...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
move up!: I can't see insurance companies excluding the Up because emergency braking is an optional extra. They benefit via less claims for cars with this option, according to the article.

Perhaps you will just see an additional question in your insurance application i.e. VW Up with City Emergency Braking option? This is a similar situation to decreasing premiums for cars fitted with Thatcham approved alarms - they don't have to be factory fitted as standard equipment (for a lower quote).

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
655 Posts
As the company that designed and makes city brake assist for VW and many more, the article draws clear not to the difference between this 'city' system and the one it draws attention to. These 'city' systems will be reviewed from 2014...so sorry to say that you are wrong on this!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Read the full article in the magazine and you will see what I mean, that is the simple answer! Insurance companies have 'tentatively' agreed is no firm guarantee...and the '2014' date sets a more realistic time frame I would suggest....by this time many shall offer it as standard and further pedestrian avoidance systems shall have been developed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what does a normal insurance for Up! cost annually in UK? All my insurances that cover absolutely everything you can think of and include the compulsory traffic insurance total 540 euros (350 GBP) annually in Finland.
Edited by: Ackwell

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Ackwell , it varies depending on lots of factors, ie area, driving experience, previous speeding fines etc etc

For FULL cover for both myself and my wife we are paying about half your cost but the UP! is one of the lowest cost cars to insure in UK, the take up is group 1 (out of 50) and the up! white is group 2....for comparison a mini cooper is group 16 and a fiat 500 twinair 0.9litre is group 12

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Our system doesn't have that kind of difference for driving experience (you gain bonuses through years if you don't crash though). But mainly there is very few factors other than the car that effect the insurance. So, I might have saved some money in relation to you when I was 20 but now that I am 30 I start to go to the minus figures compared to you. Fair enough :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
We've just got the 7 days free cover and when they quoted for me and the wife it came in at over £400.

I've had cheeper quotes on money supermarket! cheepest with Kwikfit at £217

And we are both WELL over 21 with over 10 yrs NCD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts