Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long have people had to wait between the registration being chosen, and it appearing on insurance databases for you to actually insure it?
I'm just getting a bit twitchy as I want to have everything sorted ready for Monday, but I'm still not finding the car from the VRM when I try insure it. I only chose it on Tuesday, I appreciate we're only two days on, but there are only another one and a half (Saturday!) working days till I get to pick it up!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You dont need it to be, Ive insured plenty without the reg being on the database.... you can even insure using the chassis number until you geta reg from dealer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Dave you get a weeks free insurance from VW when you buy the car, speak to your dealer about this. It gives you sometime for ironing out your own insurance. Both me and the mrs used it with our up!s well worth it, they call you and sort out cover for you... It's all in place for the pick up day.... Trust me it's helpful and easy.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea teu said about a weeks free insurance, I'm sure they said about having to have proof of valid insurance to be able to pick up the car, maybe this isn't the case?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes you get a FREE weeks insurance from VW so speak to your dealer to check if this offer if still available, it's just for this reason that they do it. Speak to your dealer ask them to arrange it. Vw call you and sort out the insurance details over the phone, you will need an insurance ref number that you dealer has, you give this dealer ref ID to vw insurance.

So call your dealer now... You can then sort your own insurance during the week... Don't be fobbed off by dealer (so long as offer of free week is Stil on obviously)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Markmod1 said:
Yes you get a FREE weeks insurance from VW so speak to your dealer to check if this offer if still available, it's just for this reason that they do it. Speak to your dealer ask them to arrange it. Vw call you and sort out the insurance details over the phone, you will need an insurance ref number that you dealer has, you give this dealer ref ID to vw insurance.

So call your dealer now... You can then sort your own insurance during the week... Don't be fobbed off by dealer (so long as offer of free week is Stil on obviously)
Hey, it's not an offer that comes and goes its a service they give! this is my 4th vw in 6 years and each time I had it, its on the website I'm sure

·
Registered
304 Posts
So go for it then... Surprised the dealer never mentioned it to you, makes pick up day no worries... The dealer can then use the vw insurance info to register the car for you too.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea he did mention it, as I said. I just also read that I needed a valid insurance policy to pick it up. I assume this counts as said insurance then? He did say we could do it on collection day actually, I guess I'm just keen to get my own insurance sorted

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am picking my new Up up on 20/11, i have sorted my own insurance but wonder if i should take the free 7 day vw cover aswell. Double the cover for a week?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Theres no need to double it, its there incase there is a delay or something, my insurance broker said I was silly to take the free cover because of the high excess and other bits, I organized with them the same day as collection so was pointless for me, bet I got a high phone bill as they answered and kept me waiting a good 5-10 mins at premium rates, they will refund if that's the case haha

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I am pretty sure that one person can't have two insurance policies running on the same car.

If I had my time again I wouldn't bother with free 7 day vw insurance, the excess was so high (£750 as far as I can remember) and its just an excuse to try and get you to take out their insurance, which in most cases is expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bugbabe, thats what i figured, so wasnt keen on taking the free cover. My dealer seemed to be pushing it quite hard tho, and i dont like being "sold" to, so i have sorted my own insurance and emailed the cover note to him. Job done!Edited by: New Girl

·
Registered
113 Posts
Itsnt allowed to have two insurance policies on one car, in fact doing so invalidates your cover.
Easy way to do this, take the dealers free 7 day insurance, get home and swap over to yours and cancel the 7 day one.... simples!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good for you to get all the info beforehand and make an informed decision. I took the free cover and wished I hadn't as I have zero excess, if anything would have happened in the first week I would of been seriously out of pocket Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I think I might take the general consensus then and just get my own.
I'm just so excited I wanna make sure I've got everything just right. First ever new car, and first car full stop in about 3 years. I'm stoked for it!
I've already arranged the roof wrap at Christmas, with coilovers/wheels hopefully following a couple months after my silvervision and Osram NB+ bulbs and Philips Spoton Ultras are here ready and waiting too....
*does a little excited dance*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts