Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an iPhone d.a.b app that doesn't cost all your data allowance?

·
Registered
265 Posts
less data, lesser audio quality, and wasn't that the entire point of DAB radio, better audio quality

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know it worked like that, its just on amazon I can get a portable dab radio which doesnt have any data so I was wondering why my phone apps use data

·
Registered
851 Posts
I guess Ben means is there an app which is good quality with a high data compression ratio so that less data gives more sound - as in more bang for your buck. I'd be interested in this too. I have unlimited data, but less transmitted data means less chance of buffering pauses so it should improve the listening experience too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Itzben said:
I didn't know it worked like that, its just on amazon I can get a portable dab radio which doesnt have any data so I was wondering why my phone apps use data

Yes, but a DAB radio and your iPhone work on entirely different principals, despite being able to play the same DAB radio channels.

Whenever you start using data on your phone, your putting extra strain on your carriers network as the data going to and from your phone is an individual data stream, so each listener would require their own stream of data, thus using lots of data

The DAB radio taps into a broadcast stream, this data stream is one way, but more importantly anyone can tap into it, and the amount data being sent out, is the same no matter how many are listening in.

so in short, the DAB app uses your phones data, because it cannot tap into the DAB radio streams, but instead puts additional strain on your carriers network.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I've always listened to Tunein radio on my iPhone, I'm not sure just how much data is used though. I can't say it's ever caused me an issue.
Take a look :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
it is as simple as any app on apples app store used for audio streaming is not allowed to use more then 1megabyte/minute

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mulo said:
less data, lesser audio quality, and wasn't that the entire point of DAB radio, better audio quality

No, the point of DAB was to squeeze many more stations in the same spectrum allowance. More stations = more advertising = more money was the thinking.

The actual audio quality of the DAB we have in the UK is actually measurably worse than FM, based as it is on the ancient and inefficient MP2 codec and using low bitrates in the main.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts