Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just seen this very short video on youtube, unsure if its just a gimic or what ? It shows an iphone being pushed into the dash where the radio would usually be. Very interesting.
I'm always on the look out tointegrategadgets in every day uses, cars especially have been slow to adapt the full potential of smart phonesso i'd love to be able to do something like what is shown in the short video. Please share you thoughts.

http://www.google.de/imgres?biw=1252&bih=603&tbm=isch&tbnid=hgLH8yjlZ8gP3M%3A&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7Ioodcbcgqc&docid=G5weU-wy_jUWyM&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F7Ioodcbcgqc%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&w=1024&h=576&ei=m1LqUtebCdTz4QTwtICwCA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=1568&page=4&start=62&ndsp=24&ved=0CJ0CEK0DMEE

·
Registered
56 Posts
this was a Pre Relace from a UP GT its from 2011 ! It say it was unclear if this go to the Wild ! As we now no Media Interface was Given..

if you now germen you can read it, in the REply here down on page !

http://www.mmbb-motorsport.de/2011/iaa-2011-special/

sadly maybee would look good on my Up !

greetz from Switzerland

Jarre

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jarre thanks a lot for the link, yes I can read German so i'll have a look.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After further investigation I can tell that is fitted to the UP! GT concept here are some pictures of it. I would love that in my car :) can only question where is the radio? I think VW are pushing for better smartphone functionality, so we would have to wait until the GT is released later this year to figure out how to retro fit to our up's if it does make it to the final product

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carpy thanks a lot for your link too, I can't believe I have not seen these pictures yet. I'mblown away, that GT looks amazing. I really do hope that the UP will come with more high spec gadgetry in future and hopefully we too can add those extras to our one UP's. I need that dash now !!!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
the standard that VW have gone with is Mirrorlink...this lets you use your smartphone apps on the car navi-screen....It will be fitted to the facelifted polo after the summer then available to rest of range, sadly I don't think it will trickle down far enough to the up and it cannot be integrated with M&M

http://www.ceoutlook.com/2013/11/27/mirrorlink-makes-headway/

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Privatedoc, this mirrorlink is the mutz n11tz. You may be right, the UP may never see this kind of tech.I want this "in dash phone idea" so bad I might make it myself if it can't be bought.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I have to admit, the forthcoming polo facelift and tech update will make it a great small car....sorely tempted, esp by the 190bhp gti

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Totally agreed Privatedoc. The tech of the Polo facelift might sway me away from the UP next time, it's sad to even think it possible but I will be very tempted. **** you VW marketing ! I looked at the Polo GTI and man is that nice, very expensive though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And what exactly are you supposed to do with your dashboard when Apple bring out the next iPhone, which will inevitably be 3mm too long and 2mm too wide..?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
UpMan, the concept they showed (which will not happen) used a big space in the dash and cheapo cradles for different phones, bit like BMW/Merc etc in their armrests......I had a nokia years ago and bought the nokia cradle for the merc, worked a treat and when I went to an iphone, simply bought a different cradle (actually a bluetooth one) cheap and versatile.

Mirrorlink however doesn't need any physical connection, like bluetooth, your phone stays in your bag/pocket etc but you can use apps 'mirrored' on the car screen

I reckon mirrorlink is the answer to our geeky tech-head prayers and there will be a myriad of apps available....personally i think it would be cool to have your obd2 data displayed on the car screen....very nissan GTR - esque!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Mirrorlink however doesn't need any physical connection, like bluetooth, your phone stays in your bag/pocket etc but you can use apps 'mirrored' on the car screen
But then you still have the problem of supplying power to your phone, so you still have to tinker with wires. It would be better to have a standard USB connection where you can stand any phone and the communiation between the phone and the car display could go through the USB connection.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good idea, although you can buy a USB socket for the cigarette lighter and charge the phone through that, like I do ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 15 of 15 Posts