Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with their Up or if know a few things about cars and might be able to help!
I've had my Up for 4 months, its 10 months old and was used by the dealership for test drives when I bought it. Every now and then, probably once in 2 weeks, I cant get it to go in reverse, the gear stick will only go half way down the notch. If I take my foot off the clutch and try again it usually works but grinds!! Im worried this is damaging my car, and theres nothing I can do about it! I can guarantee if a garage looked at it, it would probably work fine for them!!!!
Can anyone help me with this???

·
Registered
448 Posts
BlackBetty said:
Hi, I can guarantee if a garage looked at it, it would probably work fine for them!!!!
Can anyone help me with this??? 
That is right..it is called sods law! I do not think your car is broken! There is no synchromesh on reverse gear so you will sometimes have to retry to engage the gear. Quite normal. Just select neutral. Depress clutch and try again. You might have to do it more than once. Again quite normal. You have to engage two gear cogs until they mesh.

Go well.

·
Registered
851 Posts
A lot of people have reported problems with reverse. At one time i thought it must have been a problem with MY12 cars as mine has always been fine - as long as the vehicle has completely stopped before attempting to engage reverse. However, if your car is 10 months old then, like mine, it must be MY13. Are you patient with gear selection, or do you find yourself always in a hurry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely am patient with it, it happens randomly whether I've been slowing down and stopping from 5th gear or 1st. The car is completely stationary. Have to say its frustrating when it happens in the car park and there's a queue behind me!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
3 ideas!. New cogs in gearbox aren't as free and shiny as they will eventually be.
2. Gearbox oils are thinner nowadays to improve economy.
3. If you have the brakes on hard it might not allow cogs to mesh- let the car roll free as you engage reverse if you're having difficulty- That's probably the car park scenario.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You would have thought Volkswagen would stop making sh*t gearboxes by now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Heartagram said:
You would have thought Volkswagen would stop making sh*t gearboxes by now.
It's a big ask for a gearbox that can can change drive direction when the wheels/drivetrain are still rotating, without complaining.

·
Registered
116 Posts
l get the same thing sometimes.
l think it's a manual gearbox thing, as it happens to my wife's car too, and that is a Hyundai.
As for people waiting for you in carparks - gives them a chance to admire your up!

·
Registered
448 Posts
[/QUOTE]

It's a big ask for a gearbox that can can change drive direction when the wheels/drivetrain are still rotating, without complaining.
[/QUOTE]

Spot on
I have had no problems with my gearbox,so I did try once,on my drive,to change into reverse gear while still slightly rolling forward.Result...Big Crunch of the gears...Just what I expected to happen.Every car I have owned has done this....The mechanics of a gearbox will not allow it to do any difference! Make sure you are not moving...if a first you don't succeed ..try again and all will be well

Go well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Edit...will not allow it to do any different...Whoops.

Go well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 9 mths of problems when selecting first and reverse gears a dealer (not the one we bought the car from though) has offered to replace the gearbox on our 62 Move Up. Our Up can behave one day, then next day the gearbox is notchy, stubborn and things came to a head when we nearly had an accident because the car would not engage 1st gear at a busy junction. We are both very experienced drivers, have listened to advice re. lack of synch, patient gear selection etc and actually agree that the UP is a very well designed car but....as we have been told that there have been no modifications to the replacement gearbox and that they cannot guarantee that it will be any better we are now in a position of liking the car but having little confidence in the gearbox. Keeping a log of our car's performance we have noticed that when the outside temperature is high the gearbox can perform better which makes us wonder if 1 or 2 components are overly sensitive to temperature change and causing this issue. So our concerns are:-
What exactly is happening to gearboxes in some Ups ?
What component (s) is causing this to happen?
What is the prognosis and likely longevity for some UP gearboxes (and ultimately resale)?
Should we accept the replacement gearbox or after years of VW ownership change the car?

Like our gearbox we have experienced much resistance from VW UK.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Leif said:
Night Owl said:
Make sure you are not moving...if a first you don't succeed ..try again and all will be well
No it won't. When I have had problems getting into reverse, the car has been stationary with the handbrake on. It has sometimes taken several minutes to get into reverse.
Ok...If it takes you several minutes to select reverse sometimes then this obviously not right.Not having a problem with my Up is no help I know.Maybe time to confront your dealer...if you have not done so already.
I do hope you get the problem resolved soon.keep us informed.

Go well.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Night Owl said:
Leif said:
Night Owl said:
Make sure you are not moving...if a first you don't succeed ..try again and all will be well
No it won't. When I have had problems getting into reverse, the car has been stationary with the handbrake on. It has sometimes taken several minutes to get into reverse.
Ok...If it takes you several minutes to select reverse sometimes then this obviously not right.Not having a problem with my Up is no help I know.Maybe time to confront your dealer...if you have not done so already.
I do hope you get the problem resolved soon.keep us informed.

Go well.
It happens very infrequently, maybe less than 10 times in 18 months and the dealer says there is nothing wrong. Same with the steering pulling to one side, 3 times now in 18 months.

My previous car had one issue in 10 years, it spontaneously accelerated, fixed under Ford's warranty. That was potentially very serious.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My Gearbox seems to work ok it rattles a bit sometimes ( normally between 2nd & 3rd ) but that's no big deal.

On one occasion though I was going to reverse off my drive and reverse gear was not going to go in, I tried all the tricks and nothing was going to make any difference so I crunched it in.

To be fair this has also happened to me with a Polo, a Metro, a Fiesta so as long as it's only occasionally then let's not expect Rolls Royce quality from our little cars.

I know some of you are having problems on a regular basis and I ( like you ) would be going back to the dealers, the hard bit is knowing what is a fault and what is a characteristic.

I hope that those cars with genuine faults are sorted and you can enjoy driving your UP!'s, Mii's & Citigo's Edited by: Derkie54

1 - 18 of 18 Posts