Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past fortnight, I've noticed that when the air-con is used, a gurgling sound can be heard.

The sound that I speak of can be heard, despite the level of road noise that also enters the cabin.

Just wondered if other owners have experienced the same during their time of ownership, and if so, did a trip to the dealership rectify the problem?

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not faulty, it's just making the noise all fridges/air con make. As I understand it the air con compressor/system is towards the back of the engine bay near to the dashboard and not low down towards the front on other cars which is why you hear it more. I suspect it's a space issue
Edited by: chris3624

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine's always gurgled from new as have other cars I've had. You just notice it more in the Up because of positioning and poorer sound insulation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
the space under Up's bonnet is so small even the steering wheel servo is placed in the interior under the dashborad..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine gurgles after running it for more than about 30 minutes. Originally I was worried but it still seems to cool the air ok. Good to hear it's another 'feature' of the car to add to the variety of other standard feature whines and clicks the car makes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
When we bought our Mii from a SEAT dealer, it was 9 months old and the aircon was in the off position. I switched it on and it gurgled for the first day or so. I leave the aircon on all the time as recommended in the owners manual, because it dehumidifies the air. Since the first week, the aircon is always near silent and icy cold.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's comforting to know that it simply appears to be one of the vehicle's many characteristics, since others have made the same observation.

In view of the suggestion offered by Chris 3624, it would make sense that the sound of the compressor could be heard, given its position in the engine bay, due to the lack of interior insulation to which the Up! appears to has been afforded.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had the first service last week and asked them to check out the sound - apparently normal, due to lack of soundproofing and the tiny engine bay. All compressors make a similar sound, but you normally don't hear them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts