Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Up back at the beginning of September, and it is due mid November (in transit now). However, since then we have decided to get a boxer dog. I remember the boot is small, but can anyone tell me if it is big enough for a dog? Im going to have to get seat covers for the back seats if not!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I can get two poodles in quite easily, not huge but adequate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes I have my Dalmatian in the boot in a Dog Bag but the back seats are down. See my earlier thread called - Dogmobile.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The rear boot lip is high, so you need an agile dog , strong owner or a dog lift.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
My poodles are somewhat smaller than a boxer mind you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The simple answer is Yes.<div style="text-align: left;">When I test drove my UP I went home and tried my hunting dog (a germanwire-haired pointer) in the boot and was quite satisfied with the amount of space the dog had. Of course the duel height boot floor was as low as it could go.

·
Registered
315 Posts
With the seats up what happens to your dog in a rear end shunt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I now it's always a choose what you do, but as I read the question it was about space for a dog (boxer) and yes there is space enough for a dog in the back of the UP.

·
Registered
851 Posts
VWXYZ said:
With the seats up what happens to your dog in a rear end shunt?
The dog would get squashed just like you would get squashed in a front offside shunt. They say no one ever hears the shell that gets them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our collie fits in the boot fine. He doesn't like it, but he fits in. We have the false floor removed to give him more head height. The up! is clearly not an ideal vehicle for dog transport, but for short trips it's okay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm going to use a roof box for luggage (on longer trips) so the boot is dedicated 100% to my white boxer. I did not try to fit her in while test driving the up!, as I could easily see that she would fit fine and I did not want to mess up the boot with dog hairs.

I'm probably getting a mont blanc dog guard to fit above the rear seats. This is not the kind that have legs/standsstretchingto the boot floor, occupying space from the boot:

I also got VW article no: 1S0 061 197 and1S0 061 160 (A):

Roof box:http://www.thule.com/en/NO/Products/Snowsports/SkiBoxes/6312A-Thule-Pacific-200-DS

Not the optimal solution for a family car, but a VW Sharan costs 65000GBP in Norway and I would only need the space for longer trips during vacations and some weekends. I sometimes rent a Vovlo V70 when the need arises. Probably going to get a Sharan in addition to the up! though, within two years (when we have our second child).

Edited by: stratcast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts