Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how long has the up! Got as a production run?

Fox didnt last long, lupo didnt fare much better!!!!

Polo ,golf been goin since the 70's.

I suppose its all down to sales figures and profit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The VAG triplets are selling about 200k units a year. It is cheap to build and they are making money out of it.
There is a reason why VAG keep coming back to this size of car; it is a gateway model to the really profitable ones higher up the range.
Now that the 1 litre engine and gearbox are finding their way in to the Polo and Fabia they are able to spread the development costs even a better proposition.
The only way they'd stop producing this car is if they could find another more profitable car to put on the same production lines and at this stage VAG have exploited pretty much every niche they can so there are no prospects are out there to displace it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They'll be around for a while yet - they've hit the timing perfectly in terms of people downsizing. There are already miles more on the roads than there ever were Lupos/Foxes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They have hit a sweet spot of high mpg, decent performance and plenty of room for 4 people plus a bit of luggage. There is only the Picanto that compares, others such as the Pug 108 are inferior. You can buy a Ford Fiesta with a 3 pot engine, but you pay a fortune for it. It will be around for many more years.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
spcvw said:
So how long has the up! Got as a production run?

Fox didnt last long, lupo didnt fare much better!!!!

Polo ,golf been goin since the 70's.

I suppose its all down to sales figures and profit.
I don't quite understand your point.

The need for a small city car arose from the existing range of vehicles getting larger over time. The reason the Polo and the Golf have been around for so long is because when released the Polo WAS a small city car. It just got to a point that a small city car was needed because the original small city car wasn't a small city car anymore.

The name of the car is irrelevant, the Fox and up! 'could' have been called Lupo also, but VAG decided not to, just the same as the Polo or Golf 'could' have been called different names during their productions runs. Don't forget what started out as a Jetta in 1980 is still around today, but for a period of time used the name Bora and Vento before reverting to Jetta. They were always called Jetta in North America throughout. Plus the Golf was called the Rabbit in the States for the first two generations.

So you can say that the class of car that the Lupo/Fox/up! occupies has been in production since 1997, and will continue for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think it depends on the "reputatuion" and "design" ...

Polo, Golf and Passat had a very good reputation in the 1970s/1980s and their design was extra ordenary ...
So, VW kept on "evolutionizing" the cars without changing name or basic design ...
I didn't like the Golf in the 1980s and still don't like it ...

The up! has a very good design which has the potential to change through the decades ...
The name "up!" is a clever name (thouthand times better than Aigo, 108). It is as good as Opel's (Vauxhall's) brand name "Adam".

The Fox had a very bad reputation in Germany. It was "a cheaper Polo" - and the name "Fox" was used for cheap Polos before). The up! has its own face - and a very good reputation as far as I can see. Many people don't drive "a cheap city car", they drive "up!".
The variaty of up!s is so big, that everything between a "young sports car" and a "sweet little senior car" is possible. There is no "hip young people design" which might get out of fashion ...

So, I think that VW MIGHT continue the up! as a "long term brand name".
It becomes more and more popular - and seen in the streets.

We meanwhile have the up! 1.41.
There is a good chance for an up! 2.0 in 2017???

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
TurboTomato said:
They'll be around for a while yet - they've hit the timing perfectly in terms of people downsizing. There are already miles more on the roads than there ever were Lupos/Foxes.
I have pick you up on this, European sales for the Lupo during its production run totalled over 400,000 units, and to date only 300,000 up! have been manufactured, which is about the same as the Fox totalled during its run.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Didn't mean litres ...
Sorry; your interpretation would make sense!

I meant that there have been changes from 2011 (2012) until current model year 2015.
I have a 1.3(3?) version; a very late 2014er up! with "pull down reverse" (in contrast to most 1.3X 2014ers).
With "up! 2.0" I meant a "really face lifted" up! and not just slight changes, made from 2011-2015 (which I call 1.0-1.4) ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
TurboTomato said:
I have pick you up on this, European sales for the Lupo during its production run totalled over 400,000 units, and to date only 300,000 up! have been manufactured, which is about the same as the Fox totalled during its run.

I'm thinking more about UK sales probably, and cars I've seen on the road. I'd probably put money on the Up! group having already outsold the Lupo in the UK. Those figures you quote just show that it's going to outstrip the Lupo very quickly indeed.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Up influence is extending upwards. The new Polo has a petrol version that can do 0-60mph in ~10 seconds, and yet do 60mpg.The only problem is that in my experience the Polo is boring to drive, being too bouncey and isolated from the road. Still, when my Up dies, a Polo might replace it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its pretty clear to see that the Up stems from the Lupo with somewhat similar design traits and size.
Im definite that the Up will stay on the market for quite a while still as they, for example, in Denmark sell quite a few of them. (723 in July 2014 and about 10.000 yearly)

·
Registered
309 Posts
from another angle, I think the name up! will stick around for quite a while on VW's compact car, 'Lupo' sounded a bit girly and 'Fox' just sounded crap.... at least 'up!' sounds fresh and different, it's a talking point.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The misses n i bouth think the up!s funky n fun to drive, much etter than my polo. In the week we've had it already 3 of our friends are considering it or their next car. One already has a test drive booked.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Andy T9 said:
from another angle, I think the name up! will stick around for quite a while on VW's compact car, 'Lupo' sounded a bit girly and 'Fox' just sounded crap.... at least 'up!' sounds fresh and different, it's a talking point.
That's what I say ...

Earning my money with marketing. The name has to be good ...

By the way ... Don't know if you had the cartoons in the UK too, but "Lupo" was the dumb, silly friend of "Fix and Foxy" ...

This was surely a heavy burden for all who are about 50 y.o. in Germany ...

Well; I drove two "Polo Fox" ... Compareable to the move up! nowadays ...

The only fault VW made ...
was calling it a "city car". The slogan should be: "It's not a city car - it's an up!" ...
Combined with the TV spot of a young shoping woman who is asked if she drives a city car. She says: "No, I decided to take an up!", gets into the car and drives away in a sporty way ...
Or a similar a young man, a retired man (combined with easy-to-park-car > no: up!) +++
You have to stress that people want the car because of itself - no matter which advantages it brings ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts