Up Owners Club banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
My little Vw Up, is not a boy racer recreation, of someone who dreams of a Golf Gti, but cannot afford the insurance or the car, so buys the badges off ebay, and pretends his UP is a Gti.
I'm sorry but that's exactly that it is, otherwise they would have put a TC button in.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I'm sorry but that's exactly that it is, otherwise they would have put a TC button in.
馃檪 clearly a facetious comment...but anyway, you don鈥檛 need switchable TC on a standard map 113hp GTi as long as you have the right tyre pressures (or ideally non-eco rubber.

Registered
馃檪 clearly a facetious comment...but anyway, you don鈥檛 need switchable TC on a standard map 113hp GTi as long as you have the right tyre pressures (or ideally non-eco rubber.
Think about it for a second. They need to sell this car to younger people (as well as us old farts) who can't afford to run something like a Polo or Golf, so they make a slightly warmer Up that's cheap to compete against the other little sporty cars out there. But they need to keep it insurance friendly as well so don't put in the TC button so there's still that safety barrier in there, keeps that cost down.
Vw could have quite easily put in that button, no problem, but chose not to.

Registered
I'm amazed the lack of a TC button bothers so many. I drive my car pretty hard (or so I thought) and I very very rarely see the TC warning light up.

Registered
I'm amazed the lack of a TC button bothers so many. I drive my car pretty hard (or so I thought) and I very very rarely see the TC warning light up.
I see mine creeping on every so often in the snow :) the nordic tyres I use also trigger TC on the odd occasion when coming out of Junctions or the garage by work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Exactly, pleased it鈥檚 not just me! Late-ish last night I was out on a very spirited drive; 2.5 degrees very wet - yes, I could get the car to slip a little when pushing hard out of tight bends but not to the extent that the light flashed (or associated throttle 鈥渘annying鈥). However I think we鈥檙e both on standard maps and non-eco tyres...

Registered
For me it is like comparing the original cooper to the mini 1000. You got a little bit more trim and a different power delivery. I had a cooper Mk 2 many years ago and loved it. The Up is a bit like that for me and takes me back. Anyway I've done 50k in it now and I'm still happy to drive it everywhere. It's a 'suits me' kind of a car. I would have another one if mine wasn't worth peanuts due to the mileage so I'll stick with it for a while yet.

Registered
Exactly, pleased it鈥檚 not just me! Late-ish last night I was out on a very spirited drive; 2.5 degrees very wet - yes, I could get the car to slip a little when pushing hard out of tight bends but not to the extent that the light flashed (or associated throttle 鈥渘annying鈥). However I think we鈥檙e both on standard maps and non-eco tyres...
Same here . Never had a problem with TC or even the Goodyear tyres.
Regularly visit the Rev limiter and regularly see three figure speeds.
I think some of the the guys on here must be ex touring car drivers to find all these problems.

Registered
I agree.

I drive in all weathers and with spirit. You can understeer into a wet roundabout if you are being an idiot, and you can torque-spin a wheel on the way out of a wet roundabout in the same fashion. But I very very rarely see the TC light. I am a fast driver, but not a wally. My other car has 400hp and RWD. The up! GTi reminds me a lot of the Corrado 16v I used to own, which had a big power spike as the variable cam kicked in and would twitch the fronts if you weren't careful coming out of a wet corner.

I'm on 16k miles with the original Goodyears, but I've just bought some Eagle F1 Asymmetrics to go on the fronts when they eventually wear out. (205/40/17 not 195/40/17) The EagleF1Asym seem to come second in most tests to Michelin PS4s, and I don't want the soft side wall of the Michelin. They were 拢77 each.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Registered
For me it is like comparing the original cooper to the mini 1000. You got a little bit more trim and a different power delivery. I had a cooper Mk 2 many years ago and loved it. The Up is a bit like that for me and takes me back. Anyway I've done 50k in it now and I'm still happy to drive it everywhere. It's a 'suits me' kind of a car. I would have another one if mine wasn't worth peanuts due to the mileage so I'll stick with it for a while yet.
did you say you're on 50K with the up!Gti ?

You must be the highest mileage that I've ever come across.

Would you mind listing the things that have gone wrong with it?
Perhaps divide into Things that have worn out, and Things that have broken before I expected them to?

Registered
Another tyre brand to think about is Falken .
In my experience on other vehicles they鈥檙e as good as Michelin but much cheaper.
Like I say though I鈥檝e no issue with the std Goodyear鈥檚 .

Registered
I'm on 16k miles with the original Goodyears, but I've just bought some Eagle F1 Asymmetrics to go on the fronts when they eventually wear out. (205/40/17 not 195/40/17) The EagleF1Asym seem to come second in most tests to Michelin PS4s, and I don't want the soft side wall of the Michelin. They were 拢77 each.
I鈥檝e got the Eagle F1s on mine, same size. They鈥檙e great, personally found them a huge improvement over the original tyres.

Registered
I cant see how anyone finds the original tyre's ok, pulling away vigorously you would be faster getting out and walking or entering an A road dual carriageway roundabout at any pace expecting to emerge at the other side only to find yourself nearly taking off halfway through due to the worst grip I have ever had on any tyre with 30+ years of driving, I'm not an ex TC driver so must just be a sh#t driver . :)

Registered
I still like mine, high 60's on trip to work on B roads and the wee Thrash home still giving 50 on petrol ppl pocket money.
I thought about choppin her in for a pedal bike but I really do enjoy putting those heated seats on as a wee Treat before work

Registered
FS I must be good at something apart from a functioning alcoholic ;)
There i a discusion whether the UP GTI iscomparable with the original wonderfull Golf GTI .... Better handling, comparative power to weight ratio , bettet build ? More econicamal? ....... What came first, the chicken or the egg..
Answer... neither..... it was the not quit GTI.

Registered
Hey, it sure is!! I prefer the balance to the last Golf Gti which is too heavy like all hot-hatches and they all,except the Up Gti, need to go on a diet!!

Registered
There i a discusion whether the UP GTI iscomparable with the original wonderfull Golf GTI .... Better handling, comparative power to weight ratio , bettet build ? More econicamal? ....... What came first, the chicken or the egg..
Answer... neither..... it was the not quit GTI.
What?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts