Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bertie has now been run in and 1000 miles travelled since we picked him up. Wow! What a difference a few miles on the clock makes! He flies now and is really nippy! I can't believe the fun from such a small engine! If you find your brand new Up! Is a bit weedy to start with, give it a few miles and you won't believe the difference! I really love this little car!

Jane

·
Registered
811 Posts
They certainly do get better with miles on the clock. My two have nearly 10,000 and 7,000 respectively and both feel more nippy, smoother and get better mpg than when they were new.

·
Registered
113 Posts
62mpg average

Smooth ride, smooth gear changes and more... I am SOOO happy with mine, and I agree it gets better and better the more miles on the clock... (In my case kilometers :) )

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have noticed with mine mpg is very related to outside temperature, since its turned warmer my mpg has risen quite noticeably, never experienced a change so dramatic on other cars I've owned, wonder if its the tiny engine?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine's definitely getting better.
It's a few miles shy of 3000 miles.

Less clunking when shifting - or have I somehow changed the way I shift

Engine seems to be loosening up - though the CNG eco-up will never have anything resembling power.

Fitting better tyres (the newish Dunlop Sport BluResponse) has transformed the car.
Why VW puts those irky 165s and 175s on the up is beyond me - the chassis will do far better with 185s and decent rubber.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
I have noticed with mine mpg is very related to outside temperature, since its turned warmer my mpg has risen quite noticeably, never experienced a change so dramatic on other cars I've owned, wonder if its the tiny engine?
Same experience here.
Warmer air also means less aerodynamic drag, and higher intake temperature which helps the MPGs on a petrol engine.

The air conditioning seems to take up a lot of power and fuel though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The only vehicle I really noticed a difference in Winter and Summer fuel consumption was an air-cooled (or should that be oil-cooled?) Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. The Winter figures were always worse than the Summer, and there wouldn't have been any extra accessories in use, other than heated handlebar grips, to explain this. And speeds would have been less in the cold as the road surface would be less grippy. Whereas in a car there are a great many more electrical items being used - heated seats, rear demister, lights, etc.

Nick

·
Registered
202 Posts
Collas said:
The only vehicle I really noticed a difference in Winter and Summer fuel consumption was an air-cooled (or should that be oil-cooled?) Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport. The Winter figures were always worse than the Summer, and there wouldn't have been any extra accessories in use, other than heated handlebar grips, to explain this. And speeds would have been less in the cold as the road surface would be less grippy. Whereas in a car there are a great many more electrical items being used - heated seats, rear demister, lights, etc.

Nick
You ride moto guzzi's in the UK??? You have triumphs!! LOL :) I own a SV650S suzuki but I think I get much more of a chance of riding down here than you lot up there ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Over 20,000 miles on mine, and it drives nicely. Two services under its belt, and no issues. A couple of minor recalls too. Last year I got over 65mpg, Winter 58mpg, and now 62mpg, calculated manually, I can't complain. I did a 200 mile drive recently, and saw 7 Ups on the way out, too dark on the return to see others.

It has a minor issue with the gear change. On my sloping drive engaging reverse can sometimes be very hard. I recently red lined the revs, overtaking in second, thinking I was in third, oops. It is one way to do an Italian tuning.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Oops, that went twice :-/
I certainly feel like that at the moment! Actually, that may have even been a more coat effective way to do it! Haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts