Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :) I have had my take up for over a week now and have cover 300 miles. I have loved every minute of it
such a fabulous little car. There have however recently been some little niggles which I have noticed getting worse. Firstly I have noticed a knock from the steering system when going over bumps and turning the steering wheel at low speeds :( The second issue is that when I change gear it has until now been very smooth but I have recently been finding it nearly impossible to change gear without a lurch and also a loud click/ knock when letting the clutch out or accelerating. The car is booked in with breeze vw in Poole to be checked, but I am wondering now if this issue is common amongst fellow up! Owners! I do not mean to worry anyone but am looking for input from others in the same boat! Cheers

·
Registered
727 Posts
With over 1,200km on the clock so far I'm happy to report not a hint of a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the problem that the rear wiper loses water ..... it seems when you go in hard acceleration ....
If you do not have mistranslated Takeupwhite a noise in fast gear changes .... I noticed it too!!
2000 km.....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
3000 miles, no issues, apart from a loose nut inside (1). I confess to rather liking this little car.

Pino_83 said:
I have the problem that the rear wiper loses water ..... it seems when you go in hard acceleration ....
If you do not have mistranslated Takeupwhite a noise in fast gear changes .... I noticed it too!!
2000 km.....
Could it be that when you accelerate rapidly, some water sitting in the rear wiper system is expelled, but once it has gone, that's it?

(1) The driver, just in case it wasn't obvious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have noticed that it doesn't like going over small speed strips in car parks, makes unpleasant noise. Went over one at the weekend and the steering went stiff and wheel did not return to centre after going round corners for the rest of the journey. When I drove it later it was fine. One to watch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine also clunks with gear changes, but I just figure that thats the noise it makes. I've done about 1300 miles since getting my move up 20th april. I might take it back to the dealer and get it a running in service and to have a look at the noises. I'm very concious of every noise it makes, but generally it works ok so I'm not too bothered. My only real issue is the whirring noise it makes occasionally when you move up (Pun definately intended) through the gears. And I think the handbrake is a load ofpoop. It needs such a massive tug to get it to not roll down hills.
Other than that its literally brilliant.

Went up to Nottingham t'other day, and coped absolutely fine on the M1, could keep up fine with the big fast cars and I had no problems at all with a small feeling, windy car. Its fine to knock it back to 4th even doing over 70mph to get a bit of extra oomph because it loves to rev. I think its really fun.

What turned out to be a mild noise issue has apparently turned into a review. But whatever.

I'd just be mindfull of any NEW noises rather than whats already there.

David.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Got mine last Monday..after 400 miles knocking when moving up gears and also a loud knock going over bumps. Called out the RAC who said the clutch was faulty... it goes back to the retailer tomorrow. MJB

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Mine makes little noises, but when I compare the dampening material of the golf compared to the up, I am not surprised to hear the workings. The up has a sheet of metal that looks like a tin foil tray, the golf has thick material.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Rednaxela: The Up seems to have very little, or very poor, soundproofing. I think this is one of the areas where VW have cut corners. Perhaps some aftermarket soundproofing kits will apear through time.

Incidentally, my car madesome of the reported noises when I received it but, after 1500 miles, they have all disappeared or are not so obvious.

In Summary:

1. rattle from gearbox in neutral when engine cold - less obvious now

2. momentary whirring/buzz noise from gearbox when clutch let out - depends on how clutch let out/engine sync speed

3. rattle from engine/exhaust when accelerating - not so obvious but don't go too slow in high gear

4. various clicks from beneath dashboard - relays at work e.g. intermittent wash wipe (normal)

As indicated, most of the items above would not be noticed if there was a bit more soundproofing (my only criticism of the Up). In general, it is an excellent little car and seems to be better to drive now that it has done a few miles.

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, very interesting hearing the responses. The car goes in on Monday to be checked so will kelp you all posted!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Never heard any untoward noises going over bumps yet. Do hear the 'chink' when changing up the gearbox, but not down, but if I change in a more leisurely way it disappears. I get the dash click - I think it's a relay somewhere possibly linked to the footbrake, but it doesn't worry me at all.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I now struggle to get the gear change clunk, either the car or the driver has worn in, and when it does occur, it is easily missed. Also I don't seem to get the tractor noise now. I've done over 4,000 miles. When I accelerate hard in 5'th at 50mph, there is a change in tone suggesting it is working hard, a bit like the chain on a bike when you pedal backwards while freewheeling. I would have assumed it was labouring but the gear change indicator thinks it is okay. It could be that the engine lacking balancing shafts has to be made to high tolerances to avoid excessive vibration, and wearing the engine reduces vibrations further. Just a guess. I'd still like an exterior lock on the passenger door though. One has not appeared yet, ah well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got my car back from garage and they have greatly improved the clonking when changing gear. think it was a loose bottom engine mount. The exhaust noise is getting much less intrusive as the miles build up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
whassup said:
Never heard any untoward noises going over bumps yet. Do hear the 'chink' when changing up the gearbox, but not down, but if I change in a more leisurely way it disappears. I get the dash click - I think it's a relay somewhere possibly linked to the footbrake, but it doesn't worry me at all.
you only get this clicking noise when the windscreen wipers are on rigth?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts