Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
spud said:
It is official the e-up is coming

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/news/490/the-new-volkswagen-e-up!

I would like to know the part no. for those led's and if they will be compatible with my move up

Like many others, I'm "meh" about the e-up. Electric cars just cant do it at the moment. When we can get many more miles for it, and the batteries are much more efficient, then perhaps.

H fuel cells though, surely, are the future for motoring.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Fidel_Castronaut said:
H fuel cells though, surely, are the future for motoring.

Sorry, but the future of motoring is more likely to be powered by squirrel emissions than hydrogen.

There is plenty of well researched evidence explaining why hydrogen isn't really a feasible solution in the short, medium or even long term.

I admit that current electric cars are crippled when considering many use cases, but even today a car like the E-Up would actually suit my needs quite well.

As a second car I rarely drive my Up more than 60 miles in a day and have a driveway that I could install a HV/DC supply in. So, purchase cost aside, I'd have no real problem buying one tomorrow.

However, all it will take is a step change in battery technology to increase capacity by 50%+ and/or decrease charging times by an order of magnitude or more and all of a sudden electric goes from satisfying only a number of edge cases to being feasible in 80%+ of people's lives.

There are far too many promising technologies for this to be far off and if I were a betting man I'd say we'd have a true electric revolution within the next 10 years.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have asked about hydro cells from these guys

www.hydrotechnix.com

But unfortunately they said the up, is to new to say if it could be fitted
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
432 Posts
Agree. There is no free hydrogen anywhere in the world/atmosphere. It's all bonded to other molecules, so we have to use electricity (burn coal/gas) to 'crack' the molecules and separate the hydrogen. That means burning coal/gas (or nukes) to drive our hydrogen fuel cell cars....

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nuclear powered Up. Now there's a thought......

·
Registered
583 Posts
spud said:
I have asked about hydro cells from these guys

www.hydrotechnix.com

But unfortunately they said the up, is to new to say if it could be fitted
Are they bringing this "Brown's gas" rubbish to Europe now, after scamming the US of A ?

Good thing the up! is too new then.

0) this isn't a fuel cell
1) it's powered off your alternator, thus the engine
2) car alternators are not very efficient
3) the electrolysis of water takes a lot of electricity
4) you make H2 and O2 right off the electrodes, not the mono-atomic radicals (these wouldn't exist long enough to make it into the combustion chamber anyways)
5) you lose energy in all energy conversions above

6) adding pure H2 to a petrol or diesel engine DOES work - iirc NASA tested it, so it must be rocket science - but :
- you need to add it at a rate that these systems simply can't provide
- the energy then doesn't come off the engine itself
- the gain is small, despite having the H2 generated remotely, by a more efficient process

7) adding more combustible gasses to relatively badly burning fuels does help (i.e. adding CNG or LPG to diesel is becoming more common)
Edited by: _1S_

1 - 8 of 8 Posts