Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I haven't ordered a VW Up! yet, as I have to move house (one or two months' time) and then assemble the funds, hopefully soon. I originally intended to buy a Fiat 500, but VW came along with the Up! and how could I resist? My first car was a VW and this will be probably be my last car before I hang-up my driving license in 10 or so years.All the chat on this forum of M&M, reversing sensors, heated mirrors etc makes me think back to that first VW of mine. In was a 1959 model (brought secondhand and used mainly in Germany) and the only dials on the dashboard were a speedometer and total mileage meter; no trip meter or fuel gauge. The car came with a plastic dipstick to check to fuel level. Safety features against a head-on collision was a bumper, the spare wheel (could VW claim to have had the first airbag?) and then the fuel tank. Every 1000km the front suspension had to be greased (two minute job), otherwise it went rock hard; I think they call it 'sports suspension' nowadays.
Anyway, my intention is to order an Up! Black as soon as possible, but before doing that I will be studying this forum for lessons learnt.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
haha! brilliant, sounds like an excellent choice of first car!

so have you decided which model up!yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the moment I'm thinking of going for the VW Black. I had a play with the VW configuration application and found that with the extras I want, the Black was £10 (or half a 'fridge shelf of Green King IPA) cheaper than the High, plus you get shiny bling chrome bits plus plus with the Black.I will chose the colour black as I'm not keen on the other options. The red is too bright, unlike my 1959 VW, which was a much darker red. It will also remind me of driving the Army admin black VW Variants and crash-gearbox beetles in Berlin a few decades ago.
The VW Black will be replacing a black Volvo S60; while a lovely car, it costs £240 tax a year and even driving like Miss Daisy struggles to make 35mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts