Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I'm sure there must be an easy way to do it, but as I've only just got rid of my cassettes........

Can some kindly expert give me a step by step guide please.

I'm using my son's old macbook and there are some pretty good albums on here but I've no idea how to get them out of itunes and onto an sd card!

·
Registered
214 Posts
As long as not protected with DRM, you just go to where the songs are stored so from Itunes, right click or cmd (apple symbol) click 'Show in Finder' or in Windows right click and 'Show in Folder' then copy song and paste into SD card which if finder is set to show hard drive and connected drives will show on desktop or in Windows will show as new drive under My Computer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I am not sure what formats will be accepted, so it may not like AAC format or MP3 and may only accept WMA. If it does MP3 and your tunes are in AAC you will need to convert.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You should search as there was a thread on this in the last week or two where someone described how they did it!!

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh My! vwild1

You're such a helpful chap what ever would we do without your help!....................

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
LOL

·
Registered
727 Posts
M5 SUT said:
You're such a helpful chap what ever would we do without your help!
My reply wasn't exactly in response to your question but reading "The Manual" wouldn't hurt. The following link contains the answer to your question.

>link<

tweeter1980 obviously hasn't read the manual and replied to you with totally false and confusing information.

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">
tweeter1980 said:
I also forgot to mention that I am not sure what formats will be accepted, so it may not like AAC format or MP3 and may only accept WMA. If it does MP3 and your tunes are in AAC you will need to convert.

Page 109(Supported audio files)of the Navigon Maps & More manual clearly states what type of audio files are supported.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Does the M and M come with a MicroSD Card, or do you have to buy one?

·
Registered
727 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
Does the M and M come with a MicroSD Card, or do you have to buy one?
You have to buy one (max 32GB).

·
Registered
214 Posts
vwild1 said:
M5 SUT said:
You're such a helpful chap what ever would we do without your help!
My reply wasn't exactly in response to your question but reading "The Manual" wouldn't hurt. The following link contains the answer to your question. 

>link<

tweeter1980 obviously hasn't read the manual and replied to you with totally false and confusing information.

<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">
tweeter1980 said:

Page 109 (Supported audio files) of the Navigon Maps & More manual clearly states what type of audio files are supported.  

Sorry I did not check the manual properly, I did look for supported types and saw nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
it true, it does tell you all in the manual, although I found the manual a bit of a drag to read though... so I just did my usual thing of clicking a few buttons and seeing what happens... never failed me yet!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is quite an easy way to do what you want and that is simply drag the songs you want from the main iTunes window onto the SD card window on your PC and they'll be copied there. You can do this one at a time or as a batch. Batching is more fun""¦

So for example, I wanted to add all songs by George Michael including those on other people's albums to my SD card.
I'd make a folder on the SD card called "G Michael" (using folders keeps the card organised - think of them as playlists)
In iTunes I'd create a smart playlist - artist = George Michael" which I'd save.
Obviously you could build really complicated playlists - I save them just in case things go wonky!
Then click on the saved playlist to display the songs on the main window.
Go to Edit>Select All to highlight all the songs
Then drag the highlighted tracks onto the folder in your SD card, release the mouse button and the files will start to copy.
This obviously works for existing playlists too

Couple of caveats - artwork isn't likely to get copied across unless you convert the ID3 tag (that's for another day""¦)
Things that are protected won't play - mainly old purchases from iTunes and audiobooks
I'm a Windows person so I'm not sure of the key combinations on a Mac but the process is essentially the same!
Obviously there's no automatic updating of the SD card if you get new tracks. One thing that could help is to tweak the saved playlist (once you've copied the tracks) by adding an "AND" criteria to show tracks added after the date you last copied the tracks over. That playlist would then show only up uncopied tracks, which you could then copy over - then reset the date.
Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
214 Posts
If the songs are protected just burn them to disc and put them back and that gets around it easily. I am still to check formats but when I get a mo.

·
Registered
214 Posts
tweeter1980 said:
If the songs are protected just burn them to disc and put them back and that gets around it easily. I am still to check formats but when I get a mo.
As for the formats well I decided I should now look and well it is great because most will work so MP3, WMA, FLAC (Personal Favorite), OGG Vorbis and AAC. So you do not have to just go for MP3 which is very compressed.

·
Registered
523 Posts
tweeter1980 said:
I think the 'convert to mp3 version' works as well, don't forget you will end up with duplicates in your library.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Okay, our car is arriving tomorrow and I thought I would be able to take the music off Mandy's ipod and save it onto the Micro SD card.
I am reasonably tech savvy but I have never used i-tunes and this has me stumped. We are using a PC, does anyone have idiot proof instructions in plain english?

Not bothered if they are AAC or mp3 format and not fussy about album structure or artwork.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I dont think you can get music from the ipod to the pc to transfer it to the card. Has to be pc to ipod. Im sure this is right

So you need to take the music from the PC for the card

Someone may say Im totally wrong tho

Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
705 Posts
Find your iTunes music folder on the PC and copy the folders inside onto the Micro SD card. It can't be done by using iTunes or from an iPod.

Nick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.