Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2021 GTI
It's awkward at the front because the side skirts are bolted to the underfloor just infront of the pinch weld where you'd be wanting to spread the load with a jack pad or whatever. If you're not planning on lifting the car at all often, I'd probably use the factory jack (assuming you have one) and place the stands under the subframe (using a soft wood packing piece to avoid damage to bolt heads). There are threads on here with pictures, I'll try to link one..
Axle Stand Points | Up Owners Club

I've bought a set of relatively expensive (拢65) poly lifting plugs and have cut some wooden blocks for my stands which might be of interest if you're planning on lifting with any kind of regularity, here Jacking and Supporting | Up Owners Club

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would everyone concur that there's more "meat" to jack the car up at the points underneath where the bungs fit at the front and similar points at the rear than using a jack under the sill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one of them rubber puck things off eBay, made one of the slots wider so it fits under the wider reinforced sill section..... Seems to do the trick
Wood Wood stain Electric blue Hardwood Symbol

Registered
2021 GTI
I think, providing the slot isn't too deep allowing the puck into contact with the sideskirt, that'd be fine. Also assuming you're happy using stands under the subframe - no real reason why you shouldn't, although you'd have more work room with stands under the sills.

Couple of pics to illustrate the clearance issues (strengthened section of seam between blue arrows, both approx 130mmL, 15mmW, 25mmD; proximity of side skirt bracket is obvious in first photo; rear undertray arrowed in yellow in second photo).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts