Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case any of you haven't seen this yet, pictured is the up! GTI modified by JBS Auto Designs.

The regular mods, Forge intake and dump valve, but that's where it starts to get a bit extra.

This car is running 185 horsepower! That's a 70hp increase, which is more power than some of the up!s on the road today. So these people have practically put the power of one up! into another o_Oo_Oo_O

I can't imagine how 185 horsepower must feel in one of these - have been in one that ran about 150 and it was plenty for me so this must be incredible, especially in such a teeny little car!!!

What are your thoughts?

Custard

·
Registered
509 Posts
When you can buy bikes like the Ducati superleggera V4 with 231 bhp and weighing in at 159 kg I don’t think 185 bhp in a car will be a problem for us to handle lol!

Reactions: Mole

·
Registered
81 Posts
It’s fun already. After the warranty ends, that upgrade should keep the fun factor going for a bit. 👍🏻

·
Registered
195 Posts
In case any of you haven't seen this yet, pictured is the up! GTI modified by JBS Auto Designs.

The regular mods, Forge intake and dump valve, but that's where it starts to get a bit extra.

This car is running 185 horsepower! That's a 70hp increase, which is more power than some of the up!s on the road today. So these people have practically put the power of one up! into another o_Oo_Oo_O

I can't imagine how 185 horsepower must feel in one of these - have been in one that ran about 150 and it was plenty for me so this must be incredible, especially in such a teeny little car!!!

View attachment 5604

What are your thoughts?

Custard
My thoughts are “Why ?” ... Reliability, Longevity, Testing ?

If I wanted a car with a significantly better power/weight ratio than the UP! GTI I would have bought one, one which the manufacturer had intended to produce such power safely, day-in and day-out, well within the safe envelope of the engine’s capability.

Personally, I’m not looking for any extra power in my UP! GTI, but I’m sure that many are, and may be tempted to subscribe to an offering from an unauthorised “tuner”, with their exuberance perhaps blinkering them from the potential pitfalls.

Just my thoughts, as requested ! 😀

·
Registered
81 Posts

If I wanted a car with a significantly better power/weight ratio than the UP! GTI I would have bought one, one which the manufacturer had intended to produce such power safely, day-in and day-out, well within the safe envelope of the engine’s capability.

Personally, I’m not looking for any extra power in my UP! GTI, but I’m sure that many are, and may be tempted to subscribe to an offering from an unauthorised “tuner”, with their exuberance perhaps blinkering them from the potential pitfalls.

I always set a personal rule with modding: “before I start messing with a car, can I afford to buy another stock one if I mess it up?”

When the answer is yes, I tend to get a bit carried away... the 996 911 turbo I had was over 600bhp, the 340i MPPSK was running 420bhp and 500 torque in the end. 😂

In short, tuning is for people with money to waste who don’t care if it breaks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I always set a personal rule with modding: “before I start messing with a car, can I afford to buy another stock one if I mess it up?”

In short, tuning is for people with money to waste who don’t care if it breaks.
If someone is financially secure enough to never work again in their life, and also to provide financial security for their kids and other family members forever, and still has a substantial income and/or capital at their disposal, then I would deem them as having money to waste, and if they want to spend it on pimping up their city car, then good luck to them !

Otherwise, I would suggest that they invest their money elsewhere !

·
Registered
81 Posts
If someone is financially secure enough to never work again in their life, and also to provide financial security for their kids and other family members forever, and still has a substantial income and/or capital at their disposal, then I would deem them as having money to waste, and if they want to spend it on pimping up their city car, then good luck to them !

Otherwise, I would suggest that they invest their money elsewhere !
I agree, although the definition of ‘financial security forever’ is disputable if bionic implants becomes a reality within the next 5 to 10 years... 😉

Personally, I only work 6 to 9 months each year; more if I choose to in order to cover these type of costs. I’ve got over 25 years working still ahead of me - I’m going to make sure I have some fun along the way!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree, although the definition of ‘financial security forever’ is disputable if bionic implants becomes a reality within the next 5 to 10 years... 😉

Personally, I only work 6 to 9 months each year; more if I choose to in order to cover these type of costs. I’ve got over 25 years working still ahead of me - I’m going to make sure I have some fun along the way!
Thanks for your reply Mole, and good for you ! ... From your recent posts I can see that you’re already having plenty of fun !

I suppose it’s all about priorities, preferences and personal goals. Not everyone prioritises the outright performance of their city car over its longevity, reliability, and their other financial commitments and goals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for your reply Mole, and good for you ! ... From your recent posts I can see that you’re already having plenty of fun !

I suppose it’s all about priorities, preferences and personal goals. Not everyone prioritises the outright performance of their city car over its longevity, reliability, and their other financial commitments and goals.
True enough, but I personally just feel there’s no point thinking about the longevity of any internal combustion engine car, when the reality is they may be banned from public highways within ten years time. That leaves a window of opportunity to enjoy these cars now whilst I still can.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Exactly, the car is fine as it is.

As standard it’s already 115hp per litre, presumably chosen for a balance of reasonable power vs longevity with a big safety margin. I wonder how long the engine would last at 185hp per litre. Aren’t the Junior Tourenwagen up!’s 140hp’ish?

Reactions: Jacara

·
Registered
195 Posts
The first car I modified was my F plate Nova GTE back in 1990, and I’ve driven, owned and modified many machines since then, but somehow, this one just feels different. I absolutely love its appearance, driveability, fun-factor and rareness, yet at the same time, it’s also the first car I’ve owned which when driving, has a certain feel of fragility about it, which only adds to its character ... A unique character and spirit which I feel could only possibly be spoilt by aftermarket modfcations.

It’s really not about money, knowledge or experience, I just love my UP! GTI exactly as it is, and wouldn’t change a single thing, even if for free.

On the other hand, I fully appreciate that for some, the Up! GTI offers an exciting and affordable introduction and first foray into the world of fun motoring, and can completely understand the mindset of those who do chose to modify theirs, particularly the younger enthusiasts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just love my UP! GTI exactly as it is, and wouldn’t change a single thing, even if for free.
My sentiments exactly, it’s a simple and yet complete package.

·
Registered
742 Posts
+1 to the above posts. It's a great package as it is.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its a free world and we're a broad church. Modified or standard, both are great and match budgets and desires as seen fit and afforded by their owners........... don't see the problem. I have a standard ('ish) Tsi and a bonkers TR4, best of both worlds 😁

·
Registered
24 Posts

What would you buy though? Or what would you buy that has four seats and is modern?

Its not so much power to weight but power to light weight, because physics is physics when it comes to cars. The joy of the up is its lack of weight.

Not saying an Fiesta ST isn't a brilliant car but they are 500 kg heavier than an Up Gti.

Imagine VW losing another 150 kgs from the Gti and putting it out to 150 ish BHP. Call it a GTi RS and tell me where to sign.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Not saying an Fiesta ST isn't a brilliant car but they are 500 kg heavier than an Up Gti.
They may well be, but only if the 3 meatheads who stole it are still sat inside when you weigh it ! 😀

I thought that sounds rather high ... Without splitting hairs, a quick google search generally shows a Kerbweight of just over 1200KG ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not into modding, I prefer to keep my cash and save up for something else, but I had to ditch the 17's on the GTi and move back to 16's - it's the total opposite of what most are doing in terms of mods but the handling and ride quality is significantly improved, plus I've saved 1kg a corner too.

If you've got a GTi, I can highly, highly recommend it. Function over form!

·
Registered
24 Posts
They may well be, but only if the 3 meatheads who stole it are still sat inside when you weigh it ! 😀

I thought that sounds rather high ... Without splitting hairs, a quick google search generally shows a Kerbweight of just over 1200KG ...
lol, my google search gave me duff info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Imagine VW losing another 150 kgs from the Gti and putting it out to 150 ish BHP. Call it a GTi RS and tell me where to sign.
I won’t get close to 150, maybe nearer 50kg plus a few more un-sprung mass.

and with 150ish I’ll let you know how it goes 👍🏻

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Or GTI Plus, like the new Polo has?
Comes with little bits like LED lights, digital dash, push button start etc. No power difference though.

Now imagine this.... An up!.... with an S1 under it.. >:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts