Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Move Up!
Car as it came when bought.Everything untouched.

I don't have pics of the whole car from then as I didn't know I would be making this then.

Bought some random things that were needed such as floor mats, a sidelight bulb etc.

Put on a RollHard sunstrip, pretty happy with how it turned out. (Hoonigan gold sticker, anticz decals stickers, not important)

Bought a set of D90's, they came sprayed in a matte black. Some curb rash and 1 missing centre cap. I fitted them with a set of 1 inch 4 lug to 5 lug adapters. They 8J and 9J with 195/40/16 on the front and 215/40/16's on the rear.

Touched the scuffing with matte black paint (Rear tyres are on backwards at the moment, i know lol)

I tried some 70% window tint that I was given for free but it was so light it was pointless.

More updates to come!

Edited by: JoelRD

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
hi and welcome! nice wheels, gives the car a much larger foorprint especially with those spacer! but please note your turning circle will now be terrible!

is it just me or is there bad wheel allignment on that near side (passenger) rear wheel? looks a little wonkey

also i noticed you have amber side indicators as aposse to the standard clear ones, is this something you put on?

what sort of mods you got in mind?!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thank you.I haven't noticed much difference with the turning circle but I think I will now since you mentioned it lol

And I haven't noticed anything but I will have another look and check. If it looks further left in the picture, I think it is because I was stood to the one side a bit.

If you mean the indicators on the quarter panels? Then yes, the whole quarter panels have been replaced and now have amber indicators.

So to answer your question,
I have bought some JOM Blueline Coilovers and they're on their way.
I have also bought a porsche 944 centre cap to replace the missing on and I will be spraying that to match.
I'm going to respray the wheels when I put the coils on and correct the wheels as the tread is the wrong way.
I'm not sure how low I'll go yet as I don't want rubbing or a situation where I have the roll the fenders out as there is a good bit of poke.

I'm considering getting a new exhaust but I have a few concerns such as back pressure. I read that there is only a resonator and a backbox on the UP so I'm not sure what can be removed to make it louder without affecting the backpressure and I want it to pass it's MOT.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is such a stunning colour - it's a shame it's no longer in production. I'd suggest reverting to OE wheels - those D90s don't suit it. Generally speaking, I don't think the Up! lends itself well to 'cosmetic' mods.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I agree about the colour. However, the previous wheels were standard steelies with hubcaps. I would love a set of the new large alloys that you will see on some of the top range Up!'s.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
regarding lowering the car, i would definitely consider either rolling the arches a tad or even better having arch extenders!it will go down very well.

also on mu Up! iirc there is only a cat and from the cat back its just a straight/single pipe, so no resonator or back box! i am also a bit lost what do to to make the car sound a bit better (louder) on the cheap tho! you could also consider a pod/code filter.

also i quite like the wheels, maybe the slightest bit less sticking out or like i said above, roll the arches or add flared arches/arch extenders. this will then make the look more natural.

·
Super Moderator
1,010 Posts
I personally love D90's! What size adaptors are you running? Porsche rims are generally quite high on their offset, so maybe a 15mm adaptor rather than a 20mm would help to pull them in a bit.

With regards to the exhaust, mine only has the cat then the centre box, no rear silencer at all. I think Hyphons on here has done an exhaust replacement, maybe worth dropping him a PM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would consider it but then what about the arch lining? Would it still fit? And the arches seem to have a fold going along the inside, wouldn't then get bent? And the rear bumper, it might not cope with the bend of the arch?

On the topic of arch extenders, I could consider them but it wasn't something I originally planned. I'll consider it maybe.

In reply to what you said about the exhaust, I'm concerned about losing backpressure and potientially losing a bit of power. And I don't think a pod filter would benefit because the standard airbox has proved to be better in lower power cars.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you and me too. I believe they are about 1inch thick, I don't know the exact measurement but I can measure them when I install the coils and let you know. I won't be changing them because they're a bit expensive for such small change and I know the current is legal and will pass the MOT anyway.

And I might try to contact him and find out. I'll ask someone more knowable than me soon.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
JoelRD said:
I would consider it but then what about the arch lining? Would it still fit? And the arches seem to have a fold going along the inside, wouldn't then get bent? And the rear bumper, it might not cope with the bend of the arch?

On the topic of arch extenders, I could consider them but it wasn't something I originally planned. I'll consider it maybe.

In reply to what you said about the exhaust, I'm concerned about losing backpressure and potientially losing a bit of power. And I don't think a pod filter would benefit because the standard airbox has proved to be better in lower power cars.
aha yeah thats a minor and nothing to worry about, the lip on the inside, this will be your guide for rolling and keep the arches in form that bit better. some people cut it out, but dont realise it helps a better finish and looks uniform with the lip bent back as well!

and about the rear bumper, this is one of the reasons i mentions arch extensions! although there are ways you can get around it if you were to roll the arches.

about the air filter again this would just be more of an aesthetic mod (and will sound better).

also witht he exhaust, losing power, what power<h1>˜‚˜‚</h1><h1></h1><h1>
</h1>
dont feel pressured to do what im saying, im just here giving potential ideas. at the end of the day its your car and you know what you want and to what extent are willing to spend on the car! either way i like that way its going and am interested in seeing more further mods to this build!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I've had trouble with my D90's holding air, had 2 flats over night and had those sealed. Now another one seems to be going low. Going to get it sealed too. Any idea how well it'll hold and last?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

New caps for wheels. I have plans for the wheels which I hope to reveal soon.
The left one is one I bought from ebay to replace the missing one. I originally intended to restore it but I gave up and bought a whole set instead. It didn't match anyway.

More to come soon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had my wheels fully refurbished and powder coated in Lotus SparkleHere's a teaser:

More to come soon!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
a bit OCD, but imo, if you colour code the mirrors in the same colour, it would look just that bit better as then there is somewhat of a colour scheme,otherwise imo colors dont contrast well...

otherwise, she sits nicely in those!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts