Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

So I just bought a 12 plate Move up! Bluemotion in White. I absolutely love it, such a nice car to drive. Traded in a 57 plate Ford Focus 1.8 Style which started giving me no end of grief with a dodgy ECU (weird for a car with only 22,000 on the clock) and decided to go back to VW after having a really tidy Polo before the Ford.

I'll stick some pictures on after it's had a good wash (motorway driving this weekend has splattered the front with flies!) and I look forward to getting many nice drives out of it!

Seeing as this seems like a brilliant forum for advice and such, does anybody know if it's possible to get an MPG readout on the Up without the Maps and More? The Focus had it on the LED display and I found it really informative.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Good buy, VWs are great cars (my Up! is my third, with a short interlude into Vauxhall territory), look forward to the pics - if you have the multi functional display you can get an MPG readout on the dashboard, it can be controlled with the buttons on the right hand stalk, so scroll until you get what you are after.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed! said:
Good buy, VWs are great cars (my Up! is my third, with a short interlude into Vauxhall territory), look forward to the pics - if you have the multi functional display you can get an MPG readout on the dashboard, it can be controlled with the buttons on the right hand stalk, so scroll  until you get what  you are after.
Doesn't seem to work, all I get is the mileage and the trip computer. I must not have the sensor pack installed. Ah well, not to worry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
hi glad your enjoying yr up , great little car , ive had my "up white" for a couple of months now and am really pleased , great in town , fine on motorway , not figured the mpg display out yet , will try and get back to you ..... enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
The Novacat said:
Ed! said:
Good buy, VWs are great cars (my Up! is my third, with a short interlude into Vauxhall territory), look forward to the pics - if you have the multi functional display you can get an MPG readout on the dashboard, it can be controlled with the buttons on the right hand stalk, so scroll until you get what you are after.
Doesn't seem to work, all I get is the mileage and the trip computer. I must not have the sensor pack installed. Ah well, not to worry!

Congrats on your new Up! :)

The sensor pack includes cruise control and parking sensors, so if you haven't got those then you won't have the MPG readout, etc. unfortunately.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
The Novacat

Newbie

Hi. Welcome to the forum. You might not have the sensor pack.but you have the main thing
It's called the vw up. You made the right choice.hope you have loads of fun in your lovely
new car Regards Phill.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Welcome....the only way to get mpg without sensor pack or M&M is to read directly from the obd socket, if you have an iPhone, get a wifi obd2 dongle ( cheap on eBay) if you have an android phone, then a Bluetooth dongle will work....( cheaper on eBay at about £10)

There are loads of apps that can read and decode the info and give you lots of info, mpg being just one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Good point, Doc - I've never tried one of those, although I do have a genuine VCDS cable and software which lets you get all sorts of interesting data from the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Privatedoc said:
Welcome....the only way to get mpg without sensor pack or M&M is to read directly from the obd socket, if you have an iPhone, get a wifi obd2 dongle ( cheap on eBay) if you have an android phone, then a Bluetooth dongle will work....( cheaper on eBay at about £10)

There are loads of apps that can read and decode the info and give you lots of info, mpg being just one
This sounds really interesting, never knew I could use an app to get the same information. Do you happen to know the names of any on the Android market? Can't seem to find anything suitable.

Edit: Just got one :) OBDReader. Looks brilliant, just need to get myself a dongle! Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for all the welcomes!Edited by: The Novacat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Privatedoc

Moderator Group



Joined: 13 May 2012
Location: East Ayrshire
Status: Offline
Points: 3262 Post Options
Thanks(0)Quote Reply Posted: 3 hours 14 minutes ago at 8:46am
Welcome....the only way to get mpg without sensor pack or M&M is to read directly from the obd socket, if you have an iPhone, get a wifi obd2 dongle ( cheap on eBay) if you have an android phone, then a Bluetooth dongle will work....( cheaper on eBay at about £10)

There are loads of apps that can read and decode the info and give you lots of info, mpg being just one


Your not just a pretty face doc.
Good information
Kind regards Phill
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
Not even a pretty face!

Remember, obd2 dongles, only the wifi one works with iPhone, I 'think' Bluetooth is fine with the android system...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today I finally got a morning off and gave the car it's first good wash. It's also been my first real chance to thoroughly look over the car for damage and such. Found some tiny stone marks on the bumpers and the front left wheel trim has been scuffed (although I saw that at the dealership so I'm not too fussed).

The most annoying things I have taken pictures of and included below. The passenger wing mirror has a pretty annoying crack on it, I'm likely going to need a new wing cover on that side. The front bumper also has a large scratch on it which I don't remember seeing before, although it is hard to spot unless you're looking for it. Would a touch-up pen be the best option for covering it?

It's very tidy overall though and I'm pretty happy with the condition seeing as it is 2 years old now.










 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Notice you've sprayed the tyres down as well. Good lad! Nothing like getting all that crap off and having shiny tyres to match your shiny rims (even if they are just plastic! :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fidel_Castronaut said:
Notice you've sprayed the tyres down as well. Good lad! Nothing like getting all that crap off and having shiny tyres to match your shiny rims (even if they are just plastic! :) )
Yeah I never understood how people spend ages cleaning their cars then just leave the tyres all brown and mucky! I use Armorall Tyre Foam on mine, brilliant stuff.

I'm considering running on the steelies and taking off the plastic trims. Has anyone got any tips to bring out the shininess of the steel rims? Mine look a dull black at the moment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ptae2000e said:
I was told by a service guy, the bumpers are just plastic, don't worry about any scratches there as they won't spread/corrode.
Ah that's good to know, if don't have to rush to get it sorted then
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top