Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Libby was collected this morning with just 13 miles on the clock. She is a move up! 3 door in candy white with an all-dark dash (lower and upper) with a spare. The car is like a zebra inside - and I really like it. I'm really pleased with my colour choices. I especially like the shiny anthracite upper dash.

Driving it on the motorway yielded very noticeable wind noise. I'm not sure when it kicks in as I've only driven it once - to drive home - and report to the forum! But i would guess it kicks in at some point above 55mph.

The engine is amazingly smooth - you just don't know it's switched on at idle. The clutch is the lightest i have ever experienced in any car - ever!

Although the clutch is super light, I thought the key turning action to start the engine was possibly the stiffest action of any car I have ever owned.

None of the other noises reported by the forum were present, i.e. no gearbox noise, no fuel sloshing noise, no pedal clicks, no weird engine noise just the weird wind noise!

The salesman "introduced" me to all the possible insurances and the gap insurance (retail price protection) was offered at an eye watering £440. Thanks to the forum members i have the contact details for ALA on standby. I don't blame the individuals in the dealership though - it's what they have to do. We all have to do whatever our manager asks us to do, don't we?

To summarise, the dealer was firm but fair with me, I pushed for discounts and got a little off the car plus the servicing - but had to pay for the spare and the rubber mats. However, the rubber mats are currently on back order so they have put in some carpet mats for free to tide me over which was a nice touch. On their feedback form I gave 5/4/4 and it was very obvious as we talked through the scores that they really wanted 5/5/5 from me when I get the VW phone call. I guess they're constantly worried about losing the franchise. I may just give them what they want because I need them to stay in business to do my servicing, sell me parts and accessories and possibly sell to me my next car.

Edit Extra:

The dealer asked if I knew that candy white was now chargeable, which I was able to confirm and then when I told them that the Take up! was exempt, they barely believed me until the configurator confirmed it. They said that VW had advised them that the extra cost of candy white would apply right across the range - so they felt that excluding the Take up! was an error. They did ponder over whether it might have been deliberate to keep the Take up! below £8k - but finally decided it was an error. I guess you can still get a Take up! for less than £8k if you opt for red.

Edit 2:

Just been for a night drive and found the headlights to be absolutely fine - no different to any other car. However, the noise from the rear wheel arches especially when throwing up spray is really odd - I've never experienced that in any car before!

Just checked the invoice and it shows the £200 charge for candy white, but they have credited it back to me as a "Dealer Contribution" so that I ended up paying exactly what we agreed when I placed the order back in July. It does suggest though that VW want their £200, leaving the dealer having to find it from their margin.

Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey just reading your last bit before your edit extra, don't just rate them good if they wasn't they need to learn by there mistakes! When I picked my little up! up I noticed a noise from the back I thought I left the boot open or a rear window but it doesn't have rear windows! But as it's new I'll hear new things hahaEdited by: Itzben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts