Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been to a track day and driven a Porsche GT2 and a Ferrari f430!

Got back into the up and thought someone had stolen my engine!

Only joking, as I sped up the m69 slip road I thought this cars not bad for zip really, I held third and fourth for slightly longer to get a little more momentum but considering its only 993cc it feels quite perky.

Just to let you know the Ferrari had a 4.3 litre engine, they filled it up twice with fuel whilst I was there... Apparently there isn't a blue motion, 62 mile to the gallon version of this car? Go figure!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
And I thought all Ferraris were economical on fuel

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That's the way to drive those cars isn't it, on a track day. I can't imagine owning something as stupid as a Ferrari. No space for anything, useless over speed humps, can't go fast anyway due to traffic and speed cameras, burns fuel at a silly rate and insurance is expensive. I remember the Easy Jet chap saying he went through sports cars when young, then realised he preferred a Smart Car. He could park it easily, and take speed humps etc. It reminds me of farmers who marry stout women. The stick insects you see in Waitrose (snotty totty) are no use, they can't carry anything, or chop wood, or milk a cow.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Leif said:
That's the way to drive those cars isn't it, on a track day. I can't imagine owning something as stupid as a Ferrari. No space for anything, useless over speed humps, can't go fast anyway due to traffic and speed cameras, burns fuel at a silly rate and insurance is expensive. I remember the Easy Jet chap saying he went through sports cars when young, then realised he preferred a Smart Car. He could park it easily, and take speed humps etc. It reminds me of farmers who marry stout women. The stick insects you see in Waitrose (snotty totty) are no use, they can't carry anything, or chop wood, or milk a cow.

Stout women eh, I'm definitely partial to a drop of Guinness meself

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I used to have a few glasses now and then when I was pregnant (many, many moons ago), didnt like it at all. But don't mind it too much now

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
nice! wouldnt mind doing a track day myself, probably swap the porsche for a DB9 tho, always wanted to drive one!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was a DB9 there to drive to but was a little too English gent for me!

I wish I had driven the Porsche GT3 with sequential shift rather than the manual GT2... There was so much going on it would have been much easier to concentrate on shifting.... Now an up with sequential gearbox would be brill, just magine keeping your foot on the accelator whilst shifting up!

By the way, if you think the up! Is small we have just seen a Renault twizy... Do a search and you will see just how small they are... I'm not sure how practical one would be, as it's actually almost like an electric scooter with four wheel and an enveloping body.Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the interesting thing is that, going from a more powerful car to the up! (volvo v50) i did have some concerns about the lack of power, and if it would be a drop too far. However after driving these very much more powerful cars I have underlined my initial feeling that I have made the right decision.

Yes these powerful cars are fantastic (on the track) however if you drive them on the road they would be terrible. 200+ mph on our roads would be crazy, look at you average speed in most trip computers and you are lucky if you see above 30 mile an hour average for most journeys... Imagine that in a car that is only just ticking over at that speed or burning the clutch to try to dawdle along in traffic. Give me an up any day...

With my savings I will have the occasional track day just to remind why I drive an up! on our roads.Edited by: Markmod1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts