Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we picked up George (Smiley - due to the cheeky grin) today and it was with a little trepidation I have to admit as we have read reports of noisey engines and gearboxes which caused a little concern in the camp.

I am really fussy about things being spot on and the following were on my checklist;

Number plates - I cannot bear holes drilled into cars (even into plastic) and screwed on number plates. As requested our dealer had fitted them with adhesive strips. Tick!

Misaligned steering wheels are a no-no. Ours is spot on dead centre. Tick!

Cars drifting left or right are a nightmare. George is arrow straight. Tick!

Wheel wobble is a pain. Gently took the beast up to well over the speed limit and it is rock steady. Tick!

Engine noises. George is smooth and quiet even under load at low revs. This was bothering me after reading reports on here. The engine feels tight as you would expect but there are none of the reported 'tractor' etc noises. Tick!

Assorted gearbox/clutch noises. Again reports on here indicate that these could be a problem. Cannot hear anything. Tried hard to do the crunchy reverse thing and it is 100% fine. Tick!

Having had some nice cars in the past I am mightily impressed with this car at a fraction of the price of some of its predecessors. It is so smooth and quiet it feels like a much bigger car. The suspension is also quiet and super smooth on our lousy Cumbrian lanes. And what a nippy car - 2 up and even on a moderate throttle (we are avoiding full throttle for a while) it really whizzes up to 50/60/70 quickly. Ok it's no rocketship but I struggle to see the need for more performance than this little car delivers.

Other things that are great are M&M, the nice up! rubber mats (we got these and premium carpet mats), the little boot liner and the wonderful hot seats!

We had the sound pack fitted and it sounds great. We have a very nice system at home and are critical of sound quality tbh. But the system in this car sounds good, goes loud and has a nice little volume/tone/distribution interface to play with. Sounds pretty **** good imo.

Not impressed with the key cover - way overpriced and not at all well made.

Hill Hold Assist is completely underwhelming - without being ageist as I am 56 and hence getting on a bit I can only assume that this feature is for drivers with the less than sparkling reflexes and co-ordination that comes with age. Or maybe it is ideal for the terminally ham-fisted. Maybe I'll be grateful in a few years time but right now I'd say why bother?

Only thing not ready today was the plastic film for the rear bumper which is on back order.

We will be carrying out a protection detail on Sunday and will post pic's then.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've not tried out the hill-hold either as there are a distinct lack of hills in this area!

I'm still waiting for the rear bumper film, too.

Nick

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the same hill hold on my Leon and not found it that good previous Leon did not have it and I struggled to notice I had it at first!!. Although it is just a built in function of the latest ESP systems on VAG cars.

Glad you like the car look forward to the pics

·
Registered
104 Posts
looking forward to the pics

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pics!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts