Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all VW fans. I have not got an UP yet,but i am a member of quite a few car forums. Well being retired i have to pass the time somehow. I am on the following car forums as well as this one........
Smarts
Skoda
Fiat
Abarth
BMW MINI
Mazda MX5

I have driven just about every car made,while working at the car auction,including Jaguar,Mercedes,BMW,even a Bentley GT. I am a car nut,but only do a low mileage these days,as i have a bus pass which i use a lot.

I owned classic sports cars years ago,MGB,Triumph TR6,and a Jaguar V12 E.Type. More recently i had a Fiat Panda 100 HP and the car i have now a Smart Diesel which i love.Automatic,60 MPG round town and free road tax.

I want to change next year,and on the shopping list,i have the VW UP,Skoda Citigo,Abarth 500,Mini Cooper,and Mazda MX5. Allwill be automatic as i would not have a manual again in the Manchester traffic. Its going to be a hard choice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Obviously you'll have to go for the Up, far superior to the Fiat or Mini. The Mii and Citigo are great too but I believe the premium you will pay for the VW badge will be recouped by the better residuals.

I might be tempted by an MX5 but you'll pay almost twice the cost of an Up for a car that is probably not as good in Manchester traffic, the Up is the supreme city car

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome, think I've seen you on the Smart & Fiat forums. I went from a fortwo to a mii

Your list of choices look very similar to what I had. Delighted with the Mii but still miss the Smart. Had an Mx5 in the past and loved it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allybasher said:
Obviously you'll have to go for the Up, far superior to the Fiat or Mini. The Mii and Citigo are great too but I believe the premium you will pay for the VW badge will be recouped by the better residuals.

I might be tempted by an MX5 but you'll pay almost twice the cost of an Up for a car that is probably not as good in Manchester traffic, the Up is the supreme city car

Thanks for the info. I have found on each of the forums i go on,they think their car is the best.All other cars are rubbish,and they would not dream of owning any other car.Fiats are best on the Fiat forum.VWs are best on the VW forum.Smarts are best on the Smart forum. In truth all cars are good these days,mostly made by robots.The Friday special is by and large a thing of the past,so car choice is down to taste.

I do like the UP,but it would have to be the High UP automatic which costs around £11000.You can get a discounted Mazda MX5 from the internet brokers for £14000,but that would be a manual.
I also like the VW Polo with the DSG auto box.I love the bright red Flash Red.I dont know why they dont do that on the UP instead of the darker Tornado red.

The Mini looks great inside and they have sold loads,but i still love my Smart.I have plenty of time to decide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bazves said:
Welcome, think I've seen you on the Smart & Fiat forums. I went from a fortwo to a mii

Your list of choices look very similar to what I had. Delighted with the Mii but still miss the Smart. Had an Mx5 in the past and loved it

Thanks for the welcome.Yes i go on lots of forums. I do like the Abarth 500,but you hardly ever see them on the road,unlike Minis,Fiat 500s and Smartswhich are everywhere. The Mazda MX5 would take me back to the kind of cars i had in my youth,but 25 MPG and £200 road tax would be hard after 60 MPG and free road tax in my Smart.

The Up/Citigo/Mii are nice cars,and i am sure i would be happy with any of them.I also like the VW Polo,but i am tempted by the Mini.It looks great inside,drives well and comes with the 5 years service TLC pack.

The new Smart should be out in 2014,so i will wait to see what it is like,but i am sure it will be too costly for what it is. I paid under £9000 for my Smart in 2009,but today the same car is £11600 which is crazy. I am sure i will miss my Smart when i sell it just like you,but the UP is a more modern car. I have time till next year anyway.
I am also interested in the UP GT,but will it be available in automatic?

Edited by: SMART EXAMINER

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Welcome, like a lot on here, I understand your thinking entirely, I've had most of your choices too, my cooperS was a hoot but ate tyres and just isn't worth the current price specced imho, I've had a petrol smart and a smart roadster...Loved the roadster but really too small for my 6'3 frame....as to the CDi smart....fabulous wee car but 0-60 over a bank holiday weekend, I found the diesel dangerously slow (mind you I drive a lot on dual carriageways and motorways) MX5.....too pricey to run everyday (25k miles a year) and same prob as smart roadster....bit tight! :)

so we are down to the up and abarth.......abarth is fast but has the structural integrity of a damp paper bag....all flash and dash but sadly built from junk

so there you go, UP has it and if you want an abarth type car...UP GT simples!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
ps, doubt the GT will be available in auto unless they concoct some flappy paddle thingy to go on the ASG box

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome Privatedoc. What you say makes a lot of sense. I used to drive 20K to 30K miles a year in sports cars or Jaguar XJ6 saloons. More recently i only drive less than 4K a year,which is why small cars are fine for me. I have had 2 Fiats.A Cinq Sporting which i kept for 8 years,the longest i have kept any car,and a Panda 100HP.They were both great cars and 100% reliable. The Abarth 500 is just a Fiat with a fancy name,so i am sure it will be just as good.
Yes the Smart CDI would not win a race,but it is fast enough in the stop start Manchester traffic. All that happens is other cars race off from the lights,and a mile down the road we are next to each other again at the next lights. I rarely go on the motorway,and when i do i never go faster than 60 MPH which is just over 2K revs,so the engine is nice and relaxed.

I have not driven the Cooper S only the Mini One and Cooper. I could not get in or out of the Smart Roadster it was so low.Yes the UP GT sounds perfect,but it depends on the price.I think it will be around £14K which will be the same price as the Abarth,the Mini Cooper,and a discounted MX5.

The Polo GT would be a good choice as i like the look of the Polo in Flash Red,and it has the DSG box,but it is far too expensive. I do think all Polos look better than the UP,but it is just my personal taste. At the end of the day i will keep my Smart till next year unless i suddenly decide to change before next year. My Smart must be the lowest mileage diesel in the country,and its in showroom condition.I could keep it for 10 years,but i do like a change.

Then again if we start to talk about used cars at around £14K i could have a 2 year old BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class, or a Jaguar XF,but all with higher running costs,fuel,road tax,insurance etc.

HELP there is too much choice!! I think i will get the UP GT next year and that is that.Mind you i could get the........... Help stop it put me down,im not playing any more!!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
town driving is a pain, I have family in prestwich so I know how bad it can be. thankfully I live in rural Ayrshire now so have loads of quiet roads and excellent scenery......what I really need is a wee boxster or similar but Mrs privatedoc wont allow that!

Fact is there are now loads of desirable cars at this price point , both used and new and choosing which to get is half the fun......despite the fact that around 3 months in you will still be looking at other cars!

A full man can still read the menu!enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts