Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my HighUp for a couple of months and very pleased with it.

One thing I have that I cannot figure is a clonk!
It happens when I first pull away it must be a suspension noise and it is only on the nearside, just once I don't hear it again while I am driving.

Not worried about it and put it down as a characteristic but I wondered if anyone else has it.

It's still a great car though and I think it is the best small car around at the moment

·
Registered
304 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Check the filler cap well overflow tube ( in rear offside wheel well arch) mine had come loose and was rubbing on tyre on cornering...easy fix (pair of scissors) as was left too long
Could be it?Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply I will have a look if it ever stops raining.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Derkie. The most likely cause is the drum brakes sticking inside the drum itself when the handbrake has been applied for a while. I've had it happen on a couple of cars in the past.

Matt

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M4796P said:
Hi Derkie. The most likely cause is the drum brakes sticking inside the drum itself when the handbrake has been applied for a while. I've had it happen on a couple of cars in the past.

Matt
Thanks Matt I have also had sticking drums on a few cars but this is one clonk from the front nearside.

In a few weeks I won't notice it, but just wondered if it was common and it seems not.

·
Registered
393 Posts
No worries Derkie. I thought that was the most likely cause. without listening to it, I don't think I could make a diagnosis on it. Sorry. It could be anything engine or gearbox related. If it continues take it to the dealers for a listen.

Matt

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi i have the same noise - thought it might of been a flat spot on tyre or something. think i will leave car o/night with car in gear and handbrake off and see if it is still there ......very strange....thought it was only mine.....i also have a blu motion??

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi Derkie - did you ever find out what the noise was? My UP is in for software re-call (airbag) on 15th July and have asked them to check out this "clunking noise" - so will let you know the outcome, unless you find out sooner.........

thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPANDATEM said:
hi Derkie - did you ever find out what the noise was? My UP is in for software re-call (airbag) on 15th July and have asked them to check out this "clunking noise" - so will let you know the outcome, unless you find out sooner.........

thanks
Not found the cause yet.
My car is in for the airbag recall as well but after yours so if you have any news that would be great.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have Seat Mii and have noticed the same clonk after I have reversed off the drive then move forward.
I will see how you get on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Will keep u updated ....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Marty is your MII an Eco and what year and month is it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would not worry at all - as far as I am aware its the ABS self checking itself.
All of my ABS enabled cars have done this, basically shortly (within aten seconds) after you pull away the system does a self checking cycle, the UP does not seem any noiser than others I have encountered.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Marty mii said:
I have Seat Mii and have noticed the same clonk after I have reversed off the drive then move forward.
I will see how you get on.
That's me, reverse off the drive, forward clonk and off I go !

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finnster said:
I would not worry at all - as far as I am aware its the ABS self checking itself. 
All of my ABS enabled cars have done this, basically shortly (within a ten seconds) after you pull away the system does a self checking cycle, the UP does not seem any noiser than others I have encountered.

Hope that helps.
My Polo did it so it could be that then.Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi Finnster - are you saying then that you can hear the noise on moving forward?
Must be a VW thing - had loads of BMW audi jag and have never heard a thing -
maybe most people are not aware of the noise??

I just think everything should run perfect ie noise free on a new car

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yup had this on my Toyota Corrolla, Mazda 3 & Honda Civic - I think those cars actually mentioned the noise in the user manuals and said it was nothing to worry about.

I have not checked the UP manual but I am assuming that its probably in there too.

Maybe higher end cars have more noise insulation so you dont hear it??

I remember my Mazda 3 sounded quite loud and the other cars less so.

All cars will have an element of noise - to be perfectly frank the UPs little clonk hardly registers most days - I actually think its reassuring as it shows the ABS is working properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for that - will check my manual...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts