Up Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! New to the group, and as titled I'm soon to be an UP owner. I always thought I'd have a red one, but good deal at dealer and only black available.

Need a 5 door for practicality, and climate was on the one they had.

When I was configuring an UP, I put Beats and Cruise on as well. Partly because I'm "downgrading" from a Golf R-Line EVO 150.

But have I made the right choice?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I trust you had a test drive before purchase. It is an excellent car.
My car is Red which i think is the best colour. My previous two cars were Black and a pain to keep clean.

The car does not come with a spare wheel as is the case with so many cars these days, however i purchased a spare which fits nicely in the wheel well in the boot. If you have Beats there is no room for a spare as the amp or whatever you call it is fitted in the wheel well. You could always store the spare in the rear foot well behind the front seat as i used to do in my Smart.

The UP GTI is a great car and i am sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you want a red one I'd go and get a red one. Plenty of good deals out there on new and very low mileage cars and lots of dealers willing to deliver the car at no cost at the moment due to covid.

Mine had 700 miles on the clock (so no need to go visit the dealer). Spoke to the salesman to negotiate the discount he was willing to offer and then it was delivered to my home on a flat bed truck, free of charge.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Would only echo the comments re black. An absolute pig to keep clean.... our first Up was Pearl Black, & we would never have another., otherwise great choice.

Reactions: kits548

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I trust you had a test drive before purchase. It is an excellent car.
My car is Red which i think is the best colour. My previous two cars were Black and a pain to keep clean.

The car does not come with a spare wheel as is the case with so many cars these days, however i purchased a spare which fits nicely in the wheel well in the boot. If you have Beats there is no room for a spare as the amp or whatever you call it is fitted in the wheel well. You could always store the spare in the rear foot well behind the front seat as i used to do in my Smart.

The UP GTI is a great car and i am sure you will enjoy it.
I had to test drive a standard Up rather than the GTI, but the main thing I was worried about was the seating position, which was fine so happy with that.

Interesting on the colour as a couple of people have said - I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to cleaning cars (love a Saturday morning clean), so hopefully that will help me keep on top of it! Plus the kids next door could do with some pocket money I'm sure. 😂

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've got a black 5 door, its the best combo ;)...just get it ceramic coated from the start (and maybe PPF the front end if you've got the cash).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Plus the kids next door could do with some pocket money I'm sure. 😂
Don't do it! You know that sponge will get dropped/thrown and covered in grit within 5 minutes. Then you will be in a world of pain!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't do it! You know that sponge will get dropped/thrown and covered in grit within 5 minutes. Then you will be in a world of pain!
Fair point! 😳😳

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a black 5 door, its the best combo ;)...just get it ceramic coated from the start (and maybe PPF the front end if you've got the cash).
I’ve got the guard-x protection - would you suggest ceramic/PPF as well?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think black is a great colour for the GTI. Dials down the "cheekiness", as no stripes and the spoiler blends in, makes it look a bit more expensive. If you like cleaning your car, well that's a bonus !

I wouldn't lose sleep over lack of cruise or Beats. If you want better sound later, it's fairly easy to upgrade the front speakers and add a small powered sub to sit in the boot. Will end up being better than the Beats option.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve got the guard-x protection - would you suggest ceramic/PPF as well?
I cant comment on Gard X, but if its something offered by the dealer then yeah I probably wouldn't bother and just get a trusted detailer to paint correct it and apply a 3-5 year ceramic coating which will help with washing, and then PPF the front end (if you can afford it) because apart from getting it wrapped, that's probably the only thing that'll save it from stone chips. Expensive though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think black is a great colour for the GTI. Dials down the "cheekiness", as no stripes and the spoiler blends in, makes it look a bit more expensive. If you like cleaning your car, well that's a bonus !

I wouldn't lose sleep over lack of cruise or Beats. If you want better sound later, it's fairly easy to upgrade the front speakers and add a small powered sub to sit in the boot. Will end up being better than the Beats option.
thanks! Definitely interested in upgrading sound later on!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cant comment on Gard X, but if its something offered by the dealer then yeah I probably wouldn't bother and just get a trusted detailer to paint correct it and apply a 3-5 year ceramic coating which will help with washing, and then PPF the front end (if you can afford it) because apart from getting it wrapped, that's probably the only thing that'll save it from stone chips. Expensive though!
will get some quotes and see what happens!

·
Registered
VW UP GTI
286 Posts
will get some quotes and see what happens!
I guess you have the car by now. But on colour I love the contrast on mine of the red paintwork (which carries through onto the door interiors) against the black interior trim.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be nice to add the silver side stripe like the original GTI on a black car

Reactions: macp
1 - 19 of 19 Posts