Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bit the bullet today and ordered a Move up! in Tornado Red and will be trading in my BMW and downsizing... I've just got fed up with throwing money away on fuel, insurance and tax and hoping that over the 8,000 miles I cover a year will be comfortable in the up!

I've gone for a poverty spec and gone Tornado Red, Grained Cornsilk and Cornsilk Dash on 14" steel wheels! I have never owned a car without alloys so this will be interesting!

I'm hoping to order maps and more further down the line and I'm really wondering if I should have ordered the winter pack as it'll be a pain having to manually adjust the wing mirrors for parking etc...

I got a great deal from VW; I got an extra £500 over the Parkers list price for the BMW 1 Series and the 3 year servicing pack thrown in for free. After getting such a good trade in for the BM, I didn't have the heart to argue over the carpet maps so will pocket the cost of those myself...! Plus £8940 for a brand new car with next to no tax, warranty and 3 years servicing seems too good to be true!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided to downsize both our cars from a 2.0 tdi VW Scirocco & a 3.0 tdi Audi A6 Allroad. Seems extreme but I'd had enough of the £440 road tax on the Allroad and fuel guzzling. Ordered a Move Up in white and an Up black

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the sign of the times!! There is no argument that it's going to be a change moving from the BMW, but like you the high petrol prices and tax become a bit too much, and for me when I work out the percentage of my take home pay I've been spending on motoring it's crazy!!

It's great that the up! is there to fill that premium sized gap for a small car that's fuel efficient with the interior quality to match... As there is no way you'd get me acitron, peugeotor toyota!! At least let's hope the up proves me right and I hope to be thinking this still in 3 years time!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
upupandaway said:
BTW I like that your motoring has in practicality gone 2 for the price of 1!!
BOGOFF
I'm trading in my daughter's Picanto too so we're downsizing from
6 litres worth of cars to just 2

·
Registered
553 Posts
On the steel wheel front......a wheel trim is easier to replace than it is to repair a damaged ally!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Alloy wheels vs steel, take steel every time, as the alloys are a pain to maintain, and a small road car does not get the handling benefits of reducing the sprung weights.

Which 1 series did you have? I would be interested how you think you get on, as I might change my 1 series for something smaller later. I have a 120d, which is not too bad on the fuel but as it keeps going up it gets worse

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the "efficient dynamics" 116i SE which you can just watch the fuel gauge go down on at silly speeds!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think a lot of us feel the same. Years ago I would never have considered a city car - but these days it makes perfect sense. I don't want to see my hard earned cash go on road tax, insurance and fuel.

·
Registered
655 Posts
So very true R1ch...with something like the up! you are forced to rethink the notion of a city car. It just makes so much sense to so many varied people and budgets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The biggest reason that I would hesitate to change my 1 series for an UP is that last year my wife was too ill to drive for several months, and I had to do all of the driving. It meant that my daughter could only bring 1 friend rather than 2.

I went from a Panda to the BMW and I suspect that whilst I really like driving it, a POLO or a Golf might be the next car, but no rush, I will wait and see how our UP is when it arrives

1 - 11 of 11 Posts