Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've just ordered my UP! Black 5 door with sensor pack, sound pack and leather look upholstry.
My previous car was a Mondeo 2.0L TDCI 130ps estate which is 9 years old and starting to show signs of wanting a new clutch (£800 on a diesel mondeo). The car was bought to tow a caravan and haul wife and 2 kids around. The kids have grown up and the caravan is sold so just me and occasionally my wife use the car. I'm hoping to save on road tax, fuel consumption and tyres etc on my daily commute and the odd holiday in Cornwall.
Coming from a diesel I don't think I'll notice a bit of gearbox rattle too much

I hope I'm right

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Are you saying Ni to that old woman? ;)
Welcome :) good choice sir, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, they are cracking little motors!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order to pass through these woods... You must find... A SHRUBBERRY!

Thanks Dave. I do hope so as my Mondeo has all the toys on it so I spec'd my Up with a few creature comforts however I just can't justify spending more money on it or the 38mpg especially with the high price of diesel these days. Small, economic and Up! was the way to go.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome from me too. We have only had our Up for a week, but they are amazing little cars.Actually not so little!Had 4 adults in it on Saturday and it felt no different really...of course taking it steady at the moment until run in.No gearbox noise with our as yet.
Aren,t all Holidays in Cornwall Odd!

By Brother in law lives there.....Great County

Go well.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hahaha :D

The economy it provides by comparison to something like a mondy is staggering. The mpg may only average around 48/50mpg if driven like a regular human would do, but the tax and insurance more than make up for that.
I genuinely adore my car. It's a move up with a few extras, but it more than fits the bill. It's comfortable, it's reliable, it's fun, cheap, niggle free motoring at it's best, IMHO. Edited by: Davec86

·
Registered
53 Posts
My last car was a Holden Commodore. An Australian beast which dwarfs a Mondeo and packs a 250bhp, V6 punch. Apart from missing the power (obviously) I prefer the little V-dub!

·
Registered
448 Posts
How times change. I have had V8 3.5 ltr cars.....and they were great in their time.....but our Ups, now, IMHO are just as much fun.I love it! So much fun to drive and I wan,t to go out and drive it at any excuse. Just a Really Fun Car. Only had it for 1 week so early days yet. No issues...just great.
Go well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a Move Up today and should have it by the end of the week or early next week due to the Easter holiday. It is an early birthday present from my husband. I am soo excited!

First of all, I can't believe you can buy a VW without taking out a second mortgage on your house. I am from Canada where vehicles are not cheap. I am currently living in Germany and taking advantage of getting a car from a reputable company for a very low price. I am glad I found this forum to share my story!

We got the Move Up with the 75 PS, 4 door, ASG with a few extra packages (cool and sound, winter pack, winter tires and Navi System). I prefer an automatic and my husband prefers the stick shift, so hopefully it will work out well to suit both our needs (even though he says it is really my car
).

Hopefully, more good stories to come. Cheers for now!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ooh! you lucky girl! We have had our Up for 1 week only....it is Great! No problems....we Love it. Stick shift, or (manual ) is just fine. Rev it a little bit to pull away....all is well. Having said that....to back out of our garage is slightly up hill and I don,t need to touch the throttle. We have only the 60 PS and 5 door and all is good!Will let you all know how we fare....but so so far....

Go well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have two of them, the oldest one has just had its first annual service and I still love them. They are the most fun cars I have had for many years and yet are still quality VWs. I hope you enjoy your Up as much as I do mine

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've now passed the 1500km mark in mine so I can now rev the nuts off it (according to the manual).

To the Canadian living in Germany: I'm an Irishman living in Australia and VW are charging ridiculous money for cars down here too. I was getting new alloys put on mine today and the guy fitting asked me how much I paid for it. When I told him it was AU$12990, his response was "bullsh*t!" All the best with the baby V-Dub! Keep her stoked above 3000 RPM and she'll fly!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome everyone.
It's encouraging to know that there are some satisfied customers as there are quite a few complaints about gearbox and engine noise.
My take on it is that my mondy was designed for motorway crusing at 80mph. It does that without complaint. With a 1.75 tonne caravan on the back at 60mph I've used it to tour Spain and France.
The caravan has gone and 95% of my driving is the 7 miles each way to and from work with a bit of suburban at weekends. I just don't need the bills the mondy lands me with now.
The Up is the most stylish fun car I test drove. Yes it's a bit noisier at speed but around town my mondy is far nosier and harder work to drive due to its size.
My wife has a C1..nothing wrong with it but it doesn't handle as well as an Up and I didn't want a korean budget box hence the order.
I'll let you know when 'Spiney Norman' has a delivery date.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave,
I detect a true aficionado and one who delights in all manifestations of the Terpsichorean muse!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've decided to change my spec so contacted the dealer today.

It's now a Black with leather effect seats, sound pack, sensor pack and emergency breaking pack

I was considering getting the lower suspension but thought this would affect the ride comfort. The only problem is the dealer now has to start the whole process of getting a date confirmed again

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Oh no, a longer wait then? That bums. That said, it's worth the wait to get the car you want, I promise you it is too. It's a fantastic little motor.
Massive Python fan, it's great isn't it? Classic, brilliance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It will be worth it Dave I'm sure. What's a couple more days

I had a long hard think about the safety pack when I originally ordered and decided against it but after watching a Youtube vid of it being demonstrated thought it a worthwhile extra.

Hopefully I'll be getting an update on Spiny Norman's manufacturing date next week

Now I think I'll sit back and watch the Life Of Brian again, the only film I've ever paid to see twice as I was laughing so much I missed half of the gags the first time around. I now have it on DVD

Edited by: Roger the Shrubber

·
Registered
811 Posts
I definitely vote for The Life of Brian. That is my favourite film of all time by a mile. That said, Grail is brilliant too and the Meaning of Life weren't bad either.

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts