Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had the little beast for over a year and firstly we just had a lot of Agro from the dealers and all their **** ups! Excuse the pun. The drive is sometimes fun but the backache just isn't, it is just too stiff a ride for me but all small cheap cars will be the same. The MPG is reasonable but no where near the quoted. Very noisy little engine and a lot of road noise although the throaty thrum of the engine can be a bit fun to listen to sometimes I tend to tire of the noise after a while.

7 Months in we had the water sloshing problem so had to get that sorted but it took two trips to the dealer who did sort it and was not the same as the one we got it from and were very nice about it but still did not listen when I told them about it and that it would be the Sills as advised on here. The first time I took it in it was the coldest day so the water no doubt had frozen. The second time it was still making the sloshing when I took it in and made a mechanic come out with me in the car so that I could show him and he knew straight away that I was not talking rubbish.

Since then there has been occasions when the car refuses to pull off at the lights and the automatic brake thing when you are on a slight incline will not release.

The gearbox can be very moody and some days will just not want to play nice, will struggle on almost all of the gears and feels rough.. The dealers said it never did it with them so maybe just me being picky but other days it is as smooth as silk.

The car has had it's first service now and everything seemed to be running great and had three weeks of the gearbox behaving, but at the beginning of the week it all started again and was worse than before now feeling like there was sand in the transmission and refusing gears quite a lot. But it gets worse, I was driving on the A3 on Wednesday when all of a sardine I get the warning ping, which is the same sound for temperature outside as low fuel, but anyway I look to the dash to see the ABS and ESP (Little skiddy thing) lit up but car still appeared to be handling fine. Anyway when I arrived at my destination I called VW and they told me that it was probably just dirt on the sensors which is plausible but VW's of all shapes and sizes are actually known for dodgy ABS pumps, my dad had the same with an Octavia and cost a lot to put right. Well car is booked in but will not get a courtesy car which is a pain and the next date that any of the three dealers I called would either be 20th Sep, 14th Oct or 2nd Nov so I have to be without a car, well not exactly because the car actually belongs to my partner and have finally decided to get something of my own some old banger as I do such high mileage for work so it will probably be a Ford KA or something equally bland and simple. I spoke to several of my colleagues and they have all owned Volkswagen and vowed to never again, which is sad really because I know they can be good and that all brands will have a lemon here and there and sadly we seemed to have ended up with one and also sad that it was our first Volkswagen too. I do however think that if you want a cheap car maybe there are some out there which will not be as expensive but will not hold their value. Looking at the Lupo or Arosa for instance, just because they are of the VW brand you can't even pick up a high mileage one for less than £1000 so good news if you are worried about resale value. But looking at the UP! second hand on the market it is after a year holding good value where as the Skoda Citigo of similar spec and mileage pales in comparison so maybe I would if second hand hunting go for the Skoda. Sadly for a second car this time around it has to be a real banger.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ours is a year old too.

Decent enough little car - punts along pretty well. Comfy ride. Well equipped (High Up!).

Downers:

5th gear rattle - dealership says they all do that.

Gearbox sometimes baulks when selecting 5th - dealership says they could not replicate the fault. It has done it about half a dozen times in a year so it's no surprise they didn't. Ergo as far as dealership is concerned it is ok.

Irritations:

Whistling noise from drivetrain at 70mph upwards.

Cracking ice sound from behind dash when A/C has been on a while and it is hot outside.

Seats are not comfy on a long journey - lacking lumbar support & they dig into my shoulders.

Seat belts are shoddy design with no up/down adjustment on the B pillar. They dig into necks.

No passenger side window switch on drivers door. Drives us insane as my wife and I both like to drop the nearside window for some non-turbulent air when driving.

Lake of in/out adjustment on steering wheel. Hard to get it 'right'.

Bonnet paint chips way too easily.

Handling feels a bit odd when pushing along - hard to describe but the car feels sluggish around its centre of gravity.

Steering wheel has an odd profile - the bit facing the driver is 'pointy' and digs into my hand.

Fuel consumption nowhere near the much hallowed VW figures.

We will not be getting another when we come to change.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
727 Posts
VWXYZ said:
Hallowed combined city/motorway driving figures of 4.7 lt/100 and at every fillup I'm getting 5 lt/100 not bad considering that I drive without making any real effort at economy driving!

·
Registered
315 Posts
vwild1 said:
VWXYZ said:
Hallowed combined city/motorway driving figures of 4.7 lt/100 and at every fillup I'm getting 5 lt/100 not bad considering that I drive without making any real effort at economy driving!

Well done - I think! I don't do those sort of calculations ie the /100 continental style.

We get around 46mpg from our Up!which is easily bettered by our C Class diesel twice the size.

From where we live to Fort William (Scotland) and back (about 480 miles) cost us £8.00 more than our friends 8 year old diesel Clio.

So, nowhere near the 60 mpg the salesman was adamant we would get (despite sharing our cynicism with him).

Not particularly fussed as it is what it is but it is a minor-ish irritation which is why I didn't list it as a downer.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
727 Posts
VWXYZ said:
Well done - I think!  I don't do those sort of calculations ie the /100 continental style.

We get around 46mpg from our Up!which is easily bettered by our C Class diesel twice the size.

So, nowhere near the 60 mpg the salesman was adamant we would get (despite sharing our cynicism with him).
60 mpg (UK) is 4.7 lt/100km

46 mpg (UK) is 6.1 lt/100km

mpg converter

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey there, im from Germany.. i do get around 4.4l/100km in town and always exactly 4.0l/100kmon the highway at 100 km/h.I know that its all about the way you drive.. if you drive without caring for econimic driving thelast 10 years, i guess it is kinda hard.

Edited by: tyrz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts