Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Been lurking on the forum a while now, always find that forums are one of the best ways to find out what a car is really like (and there are always plenty of pics of people's cars
).

Currently driving a Smart Fortwo, but looking to get a new car within the next few months. The Up! is a contender for next purchase along with the Fiat 500, Ford Ka and Renault Twingo

Edited by: bazves

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Hi there, welcome...I can speak with authority having test driven all of the above.....in summary:-

Twingo....fun but rather poorly put together and sheet metal thinner than a thin thing!

Ka....very popular choice esp with cheapness of service etc but rather 'of the minute' interior that I think will date quickly...also, relatively expensive for a ford , even if its just a fiat 500 with a frumpy dress on.

Fiat 500....Fantastic to look at , very cramped inside c/w the up.....expensive once you spec the twinair and less economical than they would have you believe....Love the 500c roof!

VW UP...best all rounder imho, drives like a much bigger car (im downsizing from a mercedes) , Build quality seemed a cut above the others both in materials and fit

Thats why I went UP!.....but hey, everyone has differing opinions...I say try and see what you think yourself

whatever you decide, you'll be made welcome here!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hello bazves and welcome to this forum. There is a lot good information here about the Up and it is a good place to shareany concerns/issues/questions you have, even before you buy.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your choice.

I drove a Twingo on holiday, when it looked like a smiley face, not the new version. Very sweet little car, but not a daily driver.

I looked at the Fiat 500 prices before considering an Up! And thought they were very expensive when I added on what I wanted.

I've only been a passenger in a Ka and all I can say is that it appeared very cheap and sounded cheap when you closed the door.

I like a nice Golf clunk when you shut the door

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi bazves,I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say hope you're happy with whatever you decide to go for in the end.

I'm afraid the up! is the only one of the above mentioned that I've driven so can't give you any advice or an opinion, except to say that I loved the up! from the minute I got in. It feels really solid and much bigger on the inside than it does on the outside. It was a dream to drive and felt like a far superior build quality than others in its class (Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 etc).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the reponses and greetings. I did a trawl of all the local garages recently, rejected most and was left with that list.

The acid test will be in the test drives I think, and what the dealers are like. If I'm honest I find the fiat to be a prettier car, but the Up! has a certain 'chunky' appeal too
. I'm in the lucky position that I don't really need to consider 'practicalities', it'll all come down to which I like the most

I really like the mini too, but the prices they charge for those are just crazy! I'd agree with the comparison against the C1/Aygo/106, they are 'cheap looking' on the inside. When I sat in the Up! it was basic, but the materials were clearly better quality

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
423 Posts
For me French and Italian cars ar a bit of a lottery. We've owned a Citroen in the past that had had real quality isses (including collapsing air vent fins!). Friends have owned various Renaults which always seem to be in getting fixed.
I was happily driving around in a Polo SE until I had a test drive in the up! For me one word sums it up - clever. Amazing interior space, compliant ride, Maps + More, tidy handling and well put together. It makes me smile too

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome!
I think most of those are reasonably good cars, though if low/free VED and low insurance are important to you, the others can't compete with the up! The Fiat Twinair is pricey and gets about 36 mpg, which is appalling for a 900cc car!
I think there's another competitor: it has a 7-year warranty, four disc brakes, camchain, double overhead camshafts, hill hold control, 99 g/Km (free VED) without stop-start, and is cheaper than the up! Choice of 1 litre three cylinder or 1.25 litre four cylinder.

Edited by: move up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
A nearby chap to me has the kia.....looks pants from anything above 12" off the ground....amazing warranty though!

·
Registered
432 Posts

It was designed by Peter Schreyer, ex Audi design chief, and designer of the TT... I like the creases on the sides... makes the up! look a little conservative/slab-sided.
I do like the diffusers on the front of the up! and the glass tailgate, though.
In fact, the Picanto is my current car, and as you can see from my signature, I'm thinking about changing to an up! I felt it wise to read this forum for a while and see how people get on with the up! I still can't make up my mind. Every week I swap between change or stick with the Picanto. I do like the fact it has a camchain, which runs internal to the engine, in oil, and never needs to be changed. It's a feature found on motorbikes and pricier cars. The up's cambelt will need changing after a few years, at quite a price.
I tested the Move up! BMT and did like it. Feels a bit softer, though the Picanto has a better weight to the steering.
Still, I think I'm going to order an up! soon. Can't argue with the world car of the year 2012

Edited by: move up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I ordered my silver Move up on 21st April was told it would not be ready until beginning of September, not the sort of news an impatient female wants to here! However got a phone call this week from the salesman to say I should receive my car by the end of this month beginning of July. Fingers Crossed. Will be strange driving a little car after driving a VW Golf V5 estate for the last 10 years. But the babies have left the nest and I just need a little run around. Hope it lives up to the VW reputation. Have only seen white ones on the road so far and not too many of them either.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Welcome KC1. You're lucky, I haven't seen one on the road yet

·
Registered
956 Posts
Welcome KC1, that's not a bad turnaround time to be honest. I ordered mine on 23rd March and don't have a date for collection yet, although I do know mine's due to arrive in the UK any time now so should be ready for me to collect either next weekend or the week after.

Tell us a bit more about your car. What interior did you choose, did you got for the BMT version or order any of the packs or Maps & More? Sorry, I'm just really nosey and like to know what others have ordered

1 - 14 of 14 Posts