Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps, has anyone changed the air filter for a K&N one? I was reading the waterwagens thread so I thought I'd have a look at there site and spotted it for £49.99.

1) Was it easy to change
2) Is it worth changing
3) Does it make any difference (sound, mpg, acceleration etc)

Thanks guys and gals

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It will be a simple change - open airbox, remove old panel, insert K&N panel, close airbox. Done.
It will likely increase fuel consumption, a performance filters, if I'm right, basically allow more air in, so intern more fuel gets used to keep the mixture right? As for power gains, on such a small, low powered engine, I'd be surprised if you'd see a noticeable difference, same goes for acceleration.
It shouldn't affect the sound too much I don't think, as it will be sealed in the original airbox, may be a little louder though.

Oh, and it's a mod you need to tell your insurance company about, I know people that have been shafted on them before!Edited by: Davec86

·
Registered
467 Posts
Take some time and watch this video. It gave me an answer on the question: Do I need to upgrade the air filter.[TUBE]gCi2yo4UqPI[/TUBE]

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm not sure the skyline is a sensible test for cold air as the car has a turbo and intercooler. The turbo heats upthe air anyway and the intercooler gets it bcak down making the initial air intake temperature less relevant to than on a naturally aspirated car.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha that's saying it's a waste of money and just leave as factory standard! As you will loose and not gain

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was the results before the skyline where they just changed the filter, the 2 litre subaru didnt gain anything and the 1.3 box actually lost power

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the link for a great workshop manual (official VW)for VW's. A bit of a software pain to install the virtual drive bit (free, follow directions) but for £9.95 a bargain and has all VW models!http://www.emanualonline.com/
As to K&N filters they're great, using them on a variety of cars for years. On the Up it's easy (if you read the manual!!!!!) to change the air filter - just be sure to take the airbox off the car beffore undoing the many torx screws holding the cover on.
1) Pull the small rubber tube (about 1/2 inch diameter) off the left front side of the box
2) Work th airbox gently up and once (loose rotate left to clear the silencer snout lug
There are only three studs with grommets holding the airbox itself on - two at the rear and one at the front - no bolts at all.
Once new filter element is in the box just ease it onto the slencer stud rotating a bit back to right than gently nestle it back down over the three studs (and intake throat).
Amazingly easy!

·
Registered
124 Posts
You obviously do not understand the first thing about how combustion works fitting a K&N air filter will at best relief you of money but will not do anything and probably make your car run worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts