Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been looking through tuning websites, and have found K&N universal air filters, does anyone know if they will fit on the up? (75ps) as they are universal?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Why would you want to throw away all the R&D VW did on getting the engine right by putting on one of these?........now if it were a turbo!....

·
Registered
25 Posts
<div id="tts_" =""="" style=": ; top: 0px; height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: ; opacity: 0; color: rgb136, 136, 136; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; : rgb245, 245, 245; "><br ="apple-interchange-newline"="">< ="application/x-shockwave-flash" ="http://www.gstatic.com/translate/_p2.swf" width="18" height="18" id="tts">
Youmight be interested inthisdedicatedK &Nfilter
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2994

Edited by: gynox

·
Registered
198 Posts
HI

it is £50 and currently not in stock

What performance or mpg gains are likely?

thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't expect much... With engine management modern cars adjust engine parameters on the fly for temp, fuel rating, air pressure, emmisions speed etc but sticking in a different filter only will not change the engine performance notably and on such low horsepower to start with, small percentage increases of this low figure will be tiny...

Check this for filter testing and review of different makes/ types click linkEdited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
453 Posts
any gain is minimal and more of a placebo effect on a standard na car

·
Registered
619 Posts
I tried a K&N replacement filter in one of my old cars, a 1.3 Fiesta. The car, if I remember correctly, had about 60bhp and I wanted to squeeze as much power out of it as I could (deluded I know!).

Anyway, after adding the filter, changing the oil and plugs, there was no change in performance at all that I could see (surprise, surprise). The only benefit was that the filter lasted much longer than the standard Ford item and could be taken out, cleaned and reused.

The moral of this tale - don't buy questionable aftermarket performance items, just save the money and buy a better performing vehicle instead (Up GT perhaps?).

·
Registered
59 Posts
With usually fitting a universal type filter to a Naturallyaspirated engine (so not turbo or super charged)
you wont get any real power gain. Your morelikelyto get a power loss due to drawing in warm air from the engine bay. You can get a gain from adding a (ram air) style cold air intake.Basiclyyou want to run a pipe from ideally a fog light hole.. up to the intake on the air filter box... this will supply the air filter with cold air constantly.. cold air = dense air = more oxygen = bigger bang!! = more powwaaar !! :p well only a little power. NA tuning is allot more complicated than simple Forced induction. Personally i like the work that is needed when tuning a NA engine..

·
Registered
619 Posts
george929 said:
With usually fitting a universal type filter to a Naturallyaspirated engine (so not turbo or super charged)
you wont get any real power gain. Your morelikelyto get a power loss due to drawing in warm air from the engine bay. You can get a gain from adding a (ram air) style cold air intake.Basiclyyou want to run a pipe from ideally a fog light hole.. up to the intake on the air filter box... this will supply the air filter with cold air constantly.. cold air = dense air = more oxygen = bigger bang!! = more powwaaar !! :p well only a little power. NA tuning is allot more complicated than simple Forced induction. Personally i like the work that is needed when tuning a NA engine..

K&N used to sell kits at one time to enable air to be sucked in from the fog light area. You used to get articles in 'Fast Car' type magazines that took folks through fitting this kind of thing.

Before turbos etc became more common, the magazines would detail smoothing intake ports, adding extra carbs, balancing crankshafts etc. It was all about getting more air/fuel into themotor and gettingit to spin more freely.

Those were the good old days - now tuning seems to be all about programmable fuel injection, turbochargers, dump valvesand superchargers. Lets not even talk about nitrous oxide...

Look at the site below (UK)- particularly the Exhaust Flamer kit! WTF!!!

http://www.akamoto.co.uk/

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fitting an improved air filter will increase power. Whether it'd be that usable or noticeable is another debate. The first step to increasing power on any engine is always increase the breathing system. You'd likely be best off notching a slot on the pre filter side of the air filter housing, facing away from the engine to avoid heat soak and using an unrated panel filter on first application. The ultimate breathing system would be an enclosed air filter to avoid all heat soak, yet without much further modifications, the improvement to such a small, low power engine is negligible.

Lest not forget that the f1 cars of yesteryear were producing nie on 1500bhp from the old 1.5l engines. But sadly the up engine doesn't quite host the same potential

·
Registered
705 Posts
They were turbo-charged.

Nick

·
Registered
304 Posts
Highly turbo charged infact.... The engine you refer to as the 1500bhp engine as was used by Keke Rosberg, and was called the one lap grenade! It was produced for a single lap qualifier....

Not sure about longevity for daily use though
Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Haha! Very true. I wasn't implying anywhere near that power could be achieved from our tiny cars. I'd expect no more than 100bhp from a regular DIY tune up of replacement bolt on items. I for one will likely be leaving mine alone
Although I'll be more than happy to assist should anybody need any advice on tuning. Although I couldnt say it'd be worth doing

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know you wasn't mrUp
I agree re not tuning your engine. Too many negatives, goodbye warranty, goodbye fuel economy, good bye longevity... Good bye insurance policy... Much better to wait for the GT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heres a picture of my up! 60hp with a twin cone air filter fitted. It makes the engine significantly louder and also makes the throttle response sharper at low revs. Very simple to fit, simply pull the air box up of its mountings and disconnect the breather pipe from it. Then fit the air filter to the end of the pipe with the throttle valve in it with a jubilee clip or something similar. As for the breather pipe, this can be removed and a smaller air filter put in its place (not shown on picture).

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Does that not get in the way of shutting the bonnet? Also, surely given its position, your just sucking in hot air, thus making it less effective that the standard airbox. So technically you'd be dulling the performance if anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No it does not impede the bonnet shutting. It's close but fits just right. Also if you actually look at the existing air intake on an up! it actually faces backwards and is not in the direct flow of air through the grill. So yes ideally there would be a pipe or some means if transferring air upwards into the air filter but as it stands it does still increase performance marginally. I am going to try and work a way to get cold air from outside directly into it to improve the system.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
You'd also have to shield the filter from the engine heat to see any marginal gains. I'd be surprised if you even saw half a BHP difference though in honesty.
I've tried them before in the past on a mixture of cars, and I'm not sold. I think you tend to fool yourself into thinking it's doing anything, just because of the noise.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts