Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having almost never hand washed my cars before, and after some advice from fellow forumites, I have been lovingly handwashing my new motor (and actually quite enjoying it!). However, I find that the tailgate seems to attract so much dirt and it's driving me mad!
I washed and waxed the car this morning, then had to go out, about ten miles on dry roads. I got home, and sure enough the tailgate was filthy again (ok, maybe not filthy, but the rest of the car was still spotless and the tailgate was spattered with dirt).

Is anyone else finding this? And do you think rear mudflaps might help? I have mudflaps only on the front at the moment. I can't understand why this happens, I certainly didn't notice the back of my Yaris getting so dirty so quickly.

·
Registered
587 Posts
As the tailgate is glass something like Rain-x should help or if you have the Autoglym lifeshine kit it comes with a version of Rain-x

http://www.rainx.co.uk/

Cost's about £6 and lasts for years I still have a bottle from 2003!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, probably should have made clear, I have a Citigo not an Up.It's not just the rear window which seems to get dirty but the back end in general.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Snuggles said:
Sorry, probably should have made clear, I have a Citigo not an Up.It's not just the rear window which seems to get dirty but the back end in general.

Oh right not much you can do the flat back design causes a vortex effect as the car pushes through the air sucking dirt onto the back of the car.

Not much else you can do, other than trying asealantlike Supagard, Lifeshine off of Ebay. A Supargard sponge is the cheapest at £3 and you can wax over the top. The dirt will still stick but come off much more easily,

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Rainex will certainly help.. I use it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jezyg said:
Snuggles said:

Oh right not much you can do the flat back design causes a vortex effect as the car pushes through the air sucking dirt onto the back of the car.

Not much else you can do, other than trying asealantlike Supagard, Lifeshine off of Ebay. A Supargard sponge is the cheapest at £3 and you can wax over the top. The dirt will still stick but come off much more easily,

Ah thank, I had wondered if it was something to do with the shape of the car - do you think rear mudguards would make any difference?

The car has been Lifeshined and it is easy to clean off, it's just annoying, especially ona white car!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Snuggles said:
jezyg said:
Snuggles said:

Ah thank, I had wondered if it was something to do with the shape of the car - do you think rear mudguards would make any difference?

The car has been Lifeshined and it is easy to clean off, it's just annoying, especially ona white car!

Rear mudguards can cut the amount of spray and dirt down, I have found it works better on some than others but worth a try for what they cost.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I might give mudguards a try. Or try to stop being so precious about my car getting dirty

·
Registered
587 Posts
Snuggles said:
Thank you, I might give mudguards a try. Or try to stop being so precious about my car getting dirty

Yep I had to do the same with my white Leon as it gets small black spots after even a short drivecausedby soot from the exhaust sticking to the boot. With a few layers of wax the dirt does not seem to show up as bad as when it was brand new. As white paint will take 6 months to fully harden after coming out of the factory! So will lesson with time.......

·
Registered
727 Posts
Snuggles said:
Thank you, I might give mudguards a try. Or try to stop being so precious about my car getting dirty.

Or.. you could try driving half the time in reverse only. That should distribute the dirt more evenly over both ends of the vehicle resulting in less frequent washes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
vwild1 said:
Snuggles said:
Thank you, I might give mudguards a try. Or try to stop being so precious about my car getting dirty.

Or.. you could try driving half the time in reverse only. That should distribute the dirt more evenly over both ends of the vehicle resulting in less frequent washes.

Ha ha! Good thinking!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've been using RainX since I bough my car but, to be honest, it does not seem to make much difference as far as visibility goes, when applied to the rear hatch of the Up. I was disappointed to say the least.

You could try one of those waterless cleaners - just keep the bottle and cloth in the boot of the car.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36253/waterless-car-wash

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tomo2001 said:
Snuggles - rear mud flaps not currently available for the Citigo AFAIK

Yeah I just phoned my dealer this morning who said "Of course they're available, I'll just check the price... Oh, erm, they're not available for the Citigo". I had a look on the Citigo forum and apparently the rear bumper is a different shape to the Up, so the Up mudflaps won't fit. Seems a bit daft that you can get fronts but not rears, perhaps they will be available eventually.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I got the autoglym kit and would like to know what bottle is like rain-x is it the fast glass because thats just a cleaner I thought?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I couldn't find anything similar to Rain-X on the Autoglym site, so I'm also intrigued as to what it might be called.

Nick

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's the aero round the car. You can't stop it. I would recommend an ONR ( spray on, wipe off ) cleaner. Just let it dwell a few mins and then be very gentle with a clean microfiber when you wipe off. Job done ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have heard of ONR a few times, and it may be the answer, but has anyone used it long term as it goes against all principles of cleaning a car !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts