Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, the times nearly here where I have to trade my golf in, I have 8 months left on the tax disc which is around £140, do I have the rights to bring my tax disc away with me and send it back for a refund? My dealer hasn't said he wanted it all he said is that my car will go off to auction so I guess they will be sending it in for a refund. Has someone else done this with current or previous cars?

Thanks in advance!!
Edited by: Itzben

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was allowed to keep mine, it was not part of the deal,

So on the day of handover, I just asked if it was my responsibility to send it back for refund, or if they deducted the value from the price I needed to pay.

He just told me to go and collect it from the car.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea, did you just fill the v14 form (I think that's the right form?)

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's yours unless specifically agreed as part of the deposit. All as they do is cash them in and keep them as a kitty to pay for the Xmas party or meal. My friend works at GK ford where this is normal practise and was at other dealerships he worked at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The tax on my Yaris runs out at the end of the month and I'm desperately hoping that my Up arrives before I have to renew. If not I will have to tax for 6 months and then claim back. My husband bought his car from the same dealer and he claimed back his tax. I think if the dealer hasn't mentioned it then it's yours!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't think it's quite as straightforward as that. I've always kept the tax disc on my cars when I've traded them in but (from another motoring forum I use) I'm aware of disputes arising on occasion.

In this case - i.e. trading in for a new car from a main dealer - you'll almost certainly keep the tax disc. I think the problems seem to arise when you're trading in to a used car dealer who (presumably) is looking to sell it straight away and can advertise it with X months' tax.

Do you have anything which confirms the trade-in price you're being offered? Does it say anything like [Car] with X months' tax and Y months' MOT? My order form just stated the make, model and age of the car I was trading in.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been over the paperwork and even read the terms and conditions amd nowhere does it mention tax disc, I no if I was buying a used car (as I have in the past) that I'd leave it in, but as its new and the dealer supplies it with 12 months I thought I'd keep mine. I'll offer the dealer if he wants to buy it of me!

·
Registered
619 Posts
The tax disc is your property - keep it and apply for a refund. Walk away from any deal where the salesman tries to say the disc 'goes' with the car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
When I traded my Frontera in a couple of years ago against a used volvo v40 I removed the tax disc without saying anything when it came to the hand over the sales man asked for it and said it was part of the deal even tho the frontera was going to auctionI was not happy but did not how system worked as I had neverdealt with main dealers before so did notargue the toss

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oooo bit of good news, when signing the papers my dealer asked me if my car was empty that I was trading in I said yes everything then he said e en the tax disc and I said ye and he said good it's yours to hand in and get a refund, he also said theres a lot of salesmen out there that won't tell the customer and keep it for themselves

1 - 11 of 11 Posts