Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a list of known problems anywhere?

As they age, we should get some idea of the weak spots in these cars.

My own one (2013 Move Up! / 55,000 miles) had corrosion in the rear wiring harness.

Other than that, nothing has gone wrong.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think there is a list, apart from the collective memory of the forum, so thanks for starting one!

Things I can remember seeing fairly often:
  • pre-2016 models prone to issues changing into reverse gear
  • pre-2014 models had a spate of leaks in the front footwells due to mis-installed seals in the firewall
  • pre-2015 models might need a software flash to deal with a TPMS glitch
  • pre-2017 facelift models often develop leaks into the hatch which can't drain (some combo of upper brake light, VW badge and lock button seals failing)
Mine (2015 Move Up!, second owner, 61.6k) has been very well behaved, apart from minor leaking into the hatch in heavy storms, the TPMS flash, and an ongoing sporadic issue with running lean on long runs, setting off the check engine light (diagnosis halted due to lockdown). Winter revealed a few more quirks, as it had a spate of refusing to go into reverse and squeaking from the front nearside suspension when going over speed humps, both of which stopped as soon as it warmed up again. By and large minor niggles, though.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pre-2016 models(60 & 75 bhp ) issues with broken clutch diaphraghm spring "fingers" giving difficulty engaging first & reverse gears when cold. (This happened to mine at 4000 miles)
Again, pre-2016 models with "chattery" transmission idler gear goes away when clutch engaged, and when the car warms up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Again, pre-2016 models with "chattery" transmission idler gear goes away when clutch engaged, and when the car warms up.
Was this clutch release bearing? Gf had this on her ‘15 Mii and Seat replaced something in the transmission on warranty but didn’t tell her what it was and didn’t give her a receipt! When she finally pushed them for paperwork they just gave her an invoice with labour cost on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,020 Posts
Exhaust heat shield mounting lugs breaking off
Rear brake shoes sticking on, squeaking when they get wet
Water leaks into the boot through the rear wiper arm grommet
Sloshy noises in the rear, modded by cutting a hole or removing a grommet on either side in the chassis rail at the rear
Some early models had software update for the power steering ecu
Some models had a recall for the rad fan control ecu
Plenum chamber drainage holes become blocked over time, allowing water to enter into front footwells
General condensation issues
Clutch pedal clicking noises
Difficulty getting the car into reverse/1st gear
Noisy release bearing in cold weather
Only seen this on GTI' (had it on mine!), annoying clicking noises when turning the steering wheel, cause by a crash bar that runs over the pedals
Aerial base on Mk1 Ups is crap, doesn't pick anything up on the radio unless you are next to where it's being broadcast!

Probably a few others, but that's all I can remember seeing in our workshop since the Up was introduced. They've modded quite a few of the issues over time, so VW are aware of a lot of them!

edited to add the radio aerial base fault

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a couple things go wrong (thankfully most were covered under warranty).
  • Replaced radio antenna due to radio dipping in and out randomly
  • Pipe insulated under the driver side door due to loud vibration against heat shield at low revs
  • New steering column/crash bar fitted due to a creaking sound when turning the steering wheel
  • Air filter housing replaced due to hairline split underneath causing revs to drop slowly
  • Water holding inside passenger side door
(2019 Up! GTI - 7000 Miles)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts