Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you will know that the choice of tyres in 185/50x16 (factory tyre size for the 16" wheel) is poor. The few premium touring options are very expensive and you just can't get anything like a PS5.

Kumho's new HS52 might be worth a punt. They are £60 a corner mail order on blackcircles:

They did very well in this review:

I recall Jonathan, owner of that site, saying something a while back about Kumho really upping its game. Might give them a go on the Triangles I have on my GTI.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They look good in the reviews but not sure about the wear....!! What is funny is the tyre a lot of people diss comes first in the test

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The winning tyre in that Auto Bild test is version 2 of the Efficient Grip Performance, which is a slightly different beast to the factory tyre on GTIs.

The Kumho HS52 does well for wear in the test: nearly as good as the Conti EcoContact 6, which is a horribly compromised eco tyre !

·
Registered
402 Posts
Replaced the fronts on our Seat Mii with these as they seemed the best price/wear/quality combo and almost half the price of the conti 6's. They do the job fine but there is very little rim protection.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Percy, how are you getting on with the Kumhos ? And are they definitely HS52 rather than the older HS51 ?
My bad. They are the older HS51's.

I rarely drive the car, as it's my son's but I couldn't really notice any difference in handling and ride comfort after swapping from the original continentals.

They have done about 15,000 miles and have about 4.75mm of tread left, so seem to wearing Ok. There is a lot less rim protection than the continentals. They are well reviewed on black circles.

Kumho are a good brand and I am sure the HS52's will be an improved version of HS51.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had Kumho on my Smart. They were the original tyres fitted from new. I had them on for 10 years and they were excellent tyres. Its true i only did 10 000 miles in the car, but the tyres had no cracks or any problems and the car sailed through every MOT.

I would certainly get them for my UP GTI if i needed to get new tyres.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There is a lot more choice in 195/45r16 tyre size which is only 1.7% smaller in diameter. Quite a few smaller Audi's run these tyre sizes on 16 inch rims.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just ordered 4 Kumho HS52 Tyres, and some 16” black triangle wheels for the High Up.

Reactions: tsi17

·
Registered
61 Posts
Arrived, now waiting for fitting.
Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

• Love

·
Registered
61 Posts
Those Triangles are such a bargain. If only they had the Upsilons at the same price, which look a bit more like the factory GTI wheel :(
The Triangles look great on your GTI

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please can you weigh them to help build up our database ?!
The wheel with the tyre fitted or just the tyre? I’ll see what I can do.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I've only just clicked that 'upsilon' is a pun on 'ypsilon', which now makes sense.
It's old age.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts