Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

No massive rush, but am interested in how people fitted rear (and front for that matter) L-plates on an Up! .

We've ordered one with Sports Pack so have rear privacy glass - so am guessing "stuck in the rear window" wouldnt be good enough, and from the briefest of prods of the rear bumper (its plastic) am not convinced magnetic would work either.

Back in the day when I learned to drive, cars had massive girders for bumpers, so L-plates could go on with string!

It'll be next year before ours arrives, and so we've plenty of time.

Has anyone any experience of this?
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can't remember where I got mine from (possiblyWilkinson's) but managed to fine some self adhesive L-plates when I was learning last year.

I stuck one on the bottom of the rear glass of the boot and one on the front bumper between the badge and front light so it was high enough to stand out easily for other drivers. I might have a picturesomewhereif itsany help?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that.
The law isnt very clear on where - it just says prominent.
And I can't find a definitive answer as to if they need removing if the learner isnt driving - some places say they need to be, others only recommend it.

And of course I haven't gotten the car yet (so I cant try ideas) , but I like the plan these things - because I am sad! (and maybe even, when we go collect, arrive plates in hand for the return journey)

spikedscott said:
I might have a picturesomewhereif itsany help?
That would be really cool if you do have one yes please.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was so excited when I got my car that I took pictures of everything to do with it.The plates were always left on mine as my parents rarely drove, my car my rules

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spikedscott said:
I was so excited when I got my car that I took pictures of everything to do with it.
Hahaha, I have a "play car" in the garage that I am working on. There are litterally 100's of photos of that on my phone, and synced to my computer (including little videos of my phone shuvved down orifices to find fixings) - if my phone is ever stolen folk will think I have some sort of wierd fetish.
But also, on its rare trips out of the garage, no journey is complete without a photo call!

spikedscott said:
The plates were always left on mine as my parents rarely drove, my car my rules
Thanks for that. I cant imagine me driving it much, but... I was genuinely shocked as how pleasant a car it is to drive so there is a chance it'll become the default "nipping into town car" - but I think as it isnt illegal for a qualified driver to drive with them on, but is illegal if they fall off with the learner on board - I'll fix them firmly and leave them on.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi jelly. Agree with the L /plates being placed on the rear boot lid to be legal.
Regards phill

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bossphillip said:
Hi jelly. Agree with the L /plates being placed on the rear boot lid to be legal.
Regards phill
Yeah, thanks Phil.

I know this is a bit of a rubbish thread, but I want to prep for collection - and the maximum "DadPoints" will be available if the learner, my daughter, can drive it home.

(shame there arent more Up!'s about or I'd just go measure one...
)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi I completely understand good luck lol
Phill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts